what is the advantage with a two shot semi auto?

currieboy

i might be being a right plonker but may I ask what is the advantage with having a two shot semi auto over an o/u. why is it beneficial if it can only shoot the same number of shots??? thanks

Semi auto's normally hold 2 in the mag and 1 up the spout = 3 shots

O/U 2 up the spout =2 shots

work the difference out its quite easy :( :P:P:P:no: :(

To me the auto every time for pigeon or crow shooting and the o/u for clays :good::good:

i might be being a right plonker but may I ask what is the advantage with having a two shot semi auto over an o/u. why is it beneficial if it can only shoot the same number of shots??? thanks

work the difference out its quite easy :P:P:P:P :( :(

To me the auto every time for pigeon or crow shooting and the o/u for clays :good::no:

mike read the post title :good:

work the difference out its quite easy :P:P:P:P:P:P

To me the auto every time for pigeon or crow shooting and the o/u for clays :P:P

mike read the post title :(

OOOPS :good::good::no: :(

Ahh, the joys of a semi-auto, as follows:

Simple & quick reloading

One barrel, better pointability

Less weight than O/U, quality semi-auto's are extremely well balanced and a joy to shoot,

Tend to be less tiring over a long day,

Overall longer length calm's down a wayward swing

Unfortunately a minority of fellow shooters will hate them because they think they are dangerous which means they think you are dangerous for shooting one, because after all, we all walk round with loaded guns don't we :good:

Beginning to miss my old Fabarm semi-auto as I've realised my SBS just don't feel the same :good::no:

Ahh, the joys of a semi-auto, as follows:

Simple & quick reloading

One barrel, better pointability

Less weight than O/U, quality semi-auto's are extremely well balanced and a joy to shoot,

Tend to be less tiring over a long day,

Overall longer length calm's down a wayward swing

Unfortunately a minority of fellow shooters will hate them because they think they are dangerous which means they think you are dangerous for shooting one, because after all, we all walk round with loaded guns don't we :good:

Beginning to miss my old Fabarm semi-auto as I've realised my SBS just don't feel the same :no: :(

i had a fabarm and no matter what cartridges i used it wouldnt cycle? :(

part exed it for a berreta 301....ah bliss.... :good:

I have one of the old browning double autos and love it its the only gun i use for everything very well made a realiable

Does anyone else have one pics ould be great only ever seen one other one

As for the advantages

quick reloading has to be the top of the list you can just keep putting them in this side for as long as you want also theres hardly any recoil off it or maybe its cause im use to it but ive shot 40gr loads out of it without noticing anything.

one barrel is more likely to be more accurate

HOW?

A Single barrel tends to be more pointable and easier to shoot :good:

I do not agree with that, I shoot both an O?U and a semi and I can certainly shoot better with my O?U and as for easier to shoot how is that? you still pull a trigger for each shot and if the O?U is a single trigger then there is no difference.

Surely it is purely down to personal preference, you cannot say one is more accurate than the other

I have one of the old browning double autos and love it its the only gun i use for everything very well made a realiable

Does anyone else have one pics ould be great only ever seen one other one

post-1779-1167899106.jpg

only one i have at the moment second one up from bottom :good:

Urrgghhh......Im not too keen on your shot gun bedspread Magman..................

Do you have action man wall paper... :no::good:

It should be fractionally more accurate. The auto points in the same place for two shots. On an over and under, the top and bottom barrels don't strictly speaking shoot in the same place. Most are designed to shoot at the same spot 30 yards away. Any nearer or further means they are slightly awry. In practical terms, you would probably never notice the difference. I agree, it's really down to personal preference. I've had a dozen different makes of auto, but only the Remington handled well for me.

one barrel is more likely to be more accurate

HOW?

A Single barrel tends to be more pointable and easier to shoot :good:

I do not agree with that, I shoot both an O?U and a semi and I can certainly shoot better with my O?U and as for easier to shoot how is that? you still pull a trigger for each shot and if the O?U is a single trigger then there is no difference.

Surely it is purely down to personal preference, you cannot say one is more accurate than the other

I didn't say one is more accurate than the other....I posted exactly that....its preference....I find a single barrel easier to shoot...its my opinion not fact that single barrels are more pointable... :good:

I had a Berretta 391 shot lovely gun handled really well :good: . I took it duck, pigeon and clay shooting and would agree with some of the above comments people don’t like to be around them as you can’t break the barrel to show it’s safe. The only bad comment I have is that a messy tool as it expels the cartridge about ten yards and you can’t always find the empty shell. Also if you’re sharing a hide it can be a pain. I seem to hit more with my under and over, slightly heavier but I seem to swing through better with it.

PX’d the auto for me rifle

And on the DOWN side you try going to a Game shoot MOST will tell you not to bother if you bring a Semi.

More for the fact they can't tell a semi is safe as the barrel don't break like a O/U or a SbS

If your thinking of a semi i would just stick with the 3 shot and if your shooting clays just put the 1 chambered and 1 in the magazine.

I can't really see any HUGE benefit of a 2 shot semi over a O/U

I also think reloading times aren't much different between a Semi and O/U if all shots are used they both take approx the same time to reload (from experience)

Weight "perhaps" so in THAT front the O/U can be worse to some depending on their frame.

Or to the skinflints it's only 1 barrel to clean and no need to get matching sets of chokes :blink:

It's all down to the individual i guess but Semis have their place and the 3 fast following shots can be VERY handy in the field (if you GET a 3 shot)

I agree with yout initial opening lines and it DOES seem a bit of a crazy thing to go getting a 2 shot semi instead of a standard 3 :good:

LG

Georgie i'd say your right on the reloading for a noraml semi ie 5 shot or 3 shot where you have to turn the gun over and put them in by the time you get everything in it prob works out the same but with a two shot semi (double semi) you just put them in the side.

I have a ammo butt stock holder on mine which takes 4 cartridges and i can reload it in two seconds and as game normally appears on no more than pairs its the perfect combo i can handle 6 pairs in a couple of seconds

By the way i wasnt aware that any other manafacturer other than browning made a double auto.

Also yes they seem to be frowned upon on shoots which is a shame