Moderator for CZ 17. HMR

scorpius

I am planning on buying a new moderator for my CZ 17.HMR, is it worth paying for the most expensive because the prices vary a

lot, and their is no way I can try them prior to purchase, and is their any make that gives the best noise reduction.

Edited by scorpius

I've had a few moderators on the 17 HMR's that I've owned, and to me there were 2 which stood out above the rest.

DM80 and Wildcat. Both were that bit better than the rest for me.

I know that they are not the cheapest, but they do have decent secondhand values so it sort of balances out. It's just the initial outlay.

There is no 'best by far' moderator for the .17HMR, we are talking a couple of decibels at the most difference which doesnt make sense buying the expensive ones.

I compared a SAK at £35 with an LEI at £135, no audible difference, either at the rifle or 100yds away. I would gladly pay £200+ for a moderator that made this caliber quieter but its just not going to happen, buy a SAK, it works and its easy to clean, then put the difference towards something else.

Edited by Alan Maughan

There is no 'best by far' moderator for the .17HMR, we are talking a couple of decibels at the most difference which doesnt make sense buying the expensive ones.

I compared a SAK at £35 with an LEI at £135, no audible difference, either at the rifle or 100yds away. I would gladly pay £200+ for a moderator that made this caliber quieter but its just not going to happen, buy a SAK, it works and its easy to clean, then put the difference towards something else.

when i said best by far i mean build quality,stainless steel innards,looks way better on my 16" heavy barrel,and to my ears a bit less of a crack than the sak i had on before,thats my opinion,but opinions are like ********,everyones got one :yes:

post-20848-0-65281200-1385066125_thumb.jpg

Sako Sirocco SM1116 SAK

The Sako is the best of the 3 on the WMR/HMR but the SAK is fine, the difference between all of them isn't worth the debate.

Spend what you like but may I suggest you take a read of this, and note the table near the bottom, before you invest your hard earned................

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/gunreviews/381445/17HMR_calibre_sound_moderators_review_.html

:good:

Edit

The £125 Whisper gets a pounding on sound reduction, price, weight, size and overall rating, it falls below the circa £35 SAK on all counts!

Edited by Dekers

well lads each to there own,i have tried a good few mods,the whisper will be staying on my hmr for reasons ive said,despite what the shooting mags say,i have found the mod for me,won't wear out,over barrel,easy clean,steel baffles,.17 specific,and to my ears a tad quieter than any other mod ive used,also all guns are different,what sounds good on one,may not on another :no:

As far as noise reduction is concerned I really don't think you will notice much difference between any of them and it certainly is not in proportion to price.

What you are paying for is looks, materials, advertising, quality of construction, design.

Choose something that is easy to strip and clean.

The HMR does rather chew up the baffles of a SAK especially with a shorter barrel. On the other hand it will take hundreds of rounds to cause the damage and you can throw it away and fit a new one several times over for the price of a "better" moderator. The SAK was really designed for .22LR but does a good job.

I like the DM80 which is .17 specific and of the "over barrel" type which helps keep things short. Don't get too stressed about the choice.

As far as noise reduction is concerned I really don't think you will notice much difference between any of them and it certainly is not in proportion to price.

What you are paying for is looks, materials, advertising, quality of construction, design.

Choose something that is easy to strip and clean.

The HMR does rather chew up the baffles of a SAK especially with a shorter barrel. On the other hand it will take hundreds of rounds to cause the damage and you can throw it away and fit a new one several times over for the price of a "better" moderator. The SAK was really designed for .22LR but does a good job.

I like the DM80 which is .17 specific and of the "over barrel" type which helps keep things short. Don't get too stressed about the choice.

In very simple terms the SAK has a Lifetime guarantee (your lifetime), whatever you do with it, Jackson Rifles will replace it for 60% of the price of a new one! So don't throw it away, get a replacement! :good:

Jackson Rifles used to suggest a life of 10,000 round on a WMR/HMR, but it doesn't matter, if it wears out just send off for a replacement! :good:

Paddy, I am sorry mate but I have been sitting on the computer now for a couple of hours having had a great day at the Norfolk Flush and of course probably now onto my 5th or 6th large low flyer so I am not going to go up and get the rifle out and measure it as I would probably break my neck. Suffices to say that it is the 455 varmint that I have. I hope that some one might be able to give you the info, if not I will check it out for you tomorrow. I will say that the LEI is great and fits the barrel near on perfect but is not any better performance wise than the SAK, however I am sure the LEI will last a very long time.