to cover or not to cover, that is the question?

i would like to know what everyones opinion on wearing face masks is. i have been unsure on this subject for a while. i have been in situations where i'm quite exposed with no kind of head gear or hide and the pigeons didnt seem to notice me as long as i kept movement to a minimum. so is there really a need for cammo headnets etc and such elaborate cammo clothing :lol:

When shooting from a hide, or roost shooting, I always wear a face mask (also when wildfowling).

Get your friend to look over the top of your hide (not wearing a mask) and I bet you can see his face over a quarter of a mile away.

Thats what someone showed me a lot of years ago and I have never forgotten.

Face mask and hat every time. If you are in any doubt, take a friend and sit him in the hide. Walk about 10 yrds away from the hide and just observe how much an uncovered head, face and hands stand out like beacons. Then get your mate to don facemask, hat and gloves. You will need no more convincing than that.

webber

as said before, a head net and hat are always taken out with me

like you though, i have had plenty of birds without, but also had plenty get spooked by my face (not the first bird thats ran because of that!)

its worth getting and wearing on though

well I all ways wear one but one day I was sat on a big rock in a coppice when a kestrel

flew right at me and landed on my head, I had a balaclava on but the face part was pulled

down and I was also smoking a fag, yes I poohed myself and so did it when I pushed it off

with my hand because its tallons were bloody sharp. :lol:

well I all ways wear one but one day I was sat on a big rock in a coppice when a kestrel

flew right at me and landed on my head, I had a balaclava on but the face part was pulled

down and I was also smoking a fag, yes I poohed myself and so did it when I pushed it off

with my hand because its tallons were bloody sharp. :lol:

Same happened to me one night when calling a fox, an owl landed on my head.

motto: always always wear a hat

WF

Interestingly, there is an article in one of this months comics, I think that its sporting shooter.

I have read several of the fellows articles, and he would seem to know his stuff. I had wondered why he didnt wear any face mask, bare arms etc, and concluded that it was for photographic effect; but seemingly not. He must think that he is the invisible man.

webber

When shooting from a hide, or roost shooting, I always wear a face mask (also when wildfowling).

Get your friend to look over the top of your hide (not wearing a mask) and I bet you can see his face over a quarter of a mile away.

Thats what someone showed me a lot of years ago and I have never forgotten.

I agree with Cranners,

remember the art of cammo is to break up your (and kits) outline, nature has no square lines only man made (trimmed hedges) hides should as far as poss reflect the environment you are in, if at all poss, don’t use scrim or nets just blend into the natural cover. A big white face poking out form a nice square hide will to my mind attract more attention weather moving or not.

with my hand because its tallons were bloody sharp. :good:

WF

I bet that was scarey in the dark mine was in daylight,perhaps we should do a posting

on funnys things that happen out in the field and see if any weird things have happened to other

shooters

with my hand because its tallons were bloody sharp. :good:

WF

I bet that was scarey in the dark mine was in daylight,perhaps we should do a posting

on funnys things that happen out in the field and see if any weird things have happened to other

shooters

I must have been lucky then, as As I was out fowling last year I have a sparrow hawk come and land on the post next to the one I was leaning against. So close if I swung the gun round it would have been closer than the muzzle, AND I had the dog sat next to me at the time.

All three of us just turned and looked at each other then all nearly **** our selves before it flew off again.

trev

I always wear a face net, gloves and peaked cap whenver i'm shooting (not the clays though :good:).

I have noticed that i can stalk a lot closer with this gear on and as the guys have previously said when hide shooting get a mate in the hide and look at it with and without him wearing the mask - you'll see why you need one.

I even wear one when lamping as if its a bright moon your face and hands glow like beacons B)

I managed to stalk a rabbit up to about 2 yards away wearing the gear just to see how close i could get - sure was a shock for the bunny :P:lol:

I try to always wear a hat, mask and gloves. Gloves are some of those thin ones although the ones I recently bought have a small amount of fleece lining which is great when it's colder.

My mask is one of those that is open at the front with a bit to pinch on your nose but as I wear glasses I wear it back to front but it's so thing you can see through it no problem.

Ben

I've got a hat with a net face vale style which I sometimes use, sometimes not.

If you actually hide behind the hide, and spring up at the last minute its not your face woody has clocked, but the fact that a person has just sprung up from nowhere with a gun :good:

They obviously work, not arguing they don't, but if you use the hide, looking through it rather than sticking your boat race out every 5 seconds looking for woody, then you can get away without one very easily :lol: