Designer Crosses

Elby

People buying these designer cross breeds are just opening the doors for the puppy farms again.
The KC put restrictions on how many litters a bitch can have between the ages of 2 & 7 to try to stop the bad practices puppy farms employed.
Now everyone wants a Cockerpoo or a Labradoodle it'll all go pear shaped again.

I'm not the kennel clubs greatest fan but they do have their uses.

I've also noticed recently a lot of unregistered litters of pups which I also think don't help.

People buying these designer cross breeds are just opening the doors for the puppy farms again.

The KC put restrictions on how many litters a bitch can have between the ages of 2 & 7 to try to stop the bad practices puppy farms employed.

I've also noticed recently a lot of unregistered litters of pups which I also think don't help.

Couldnt agree more...owners are breeding dogs now purely for financial gain and not to continue bloodlines... have a look in any of the rehoming and welfare centres and see where these crossbreeds end up..I think its a disgrace and needs proper legislation to stop it before it gets completely out of hand.

There was an online article a few days back about the amount of these crosses that are smuggled in from Europe now.

They then place the pups with a family to make it look like they are bred there and even sometimes have a fake mum to the pups.

How long before rabies is here?

Who really cares? At the end of the day all modern day dogs are descendents of cross breeds the only difference is how many generations, a well trained dog is a well trained dog regardless of breed.

And all this about keeping bloodlines going is carp, breeders breed for money the snobbery about lines is just a sales pitch. Any breeder who breeds year on year is a puppy farm to me the only thing that varies is the conditions there kept in.

Admittedly I think the price of fashion dogs is ridiculous but I think the price of pedigree working dogs is too when you can get a rescue dog for £100.

The only people truly offended by these crosses is the ones trying to sell pedigrees or the ones daft enough to have forked out for one already. Any dog with half a brain can be taught to fetch any terrier will flush instinctively the difference is how fashionable they are down at the shoot.

From my experience a cross breed or mongrel is healthier and better tempered dog .Although we agreed no more pets I'm expecting one in the not too distant future and she loves Labradoodles but I'm with everyone else these dogs are bred for profit. It's far too easy to own a dog cat or hamster and many don't have a clue as to what they are taking on or the responsibility it should involve .

Proper cross breeds

4600339bc9255997f1624ec731c5159f_zpsdcc9

Who really cares? At the end of the day all modern day dogs are descendents of cross breeds the only difference is how many generations, a well trained dog is a well trained dog regardless of breed.

And all this about keeping bloodlines going is carp, breeders breed for money the snobbery about lines is just a sales pitch. Any breeder who breeds year on year is a puppy farm to me the only thing that varies is the conditions there kept in.

Admittedly I think the price of fashion dogs is ridiculous but I think the price of pedigree working dogs is too when you can get a rescue dog for £100.

The only people truly offended by these crosses is the ones trying to sell pedigrees or the ones daft enough to have forked out for one already. Any dog with half a brain can be taught to fetch any terrier will flush instinctively the difference is how fashionable they are down at the shoot.

Think you've totally missed the puppy farm point there.

Think you've totally missed the puppy farm point there.

why? puppy farms maybe cram a few more litters in than they should but the principle is still the same, some greedy person knocking dogs out at massive money for financial gain.

how many times to do you see puppies up on here and other forums with no papers, could be a 'proper' puppy farm or one of these good chaps who does it purely for the pleasure of knowing hes keeping a bloodline going who's over his kc quota so knocking them out a bit cheaper with no papers. at the end of the day a puppy is just a puppy its the time and effort you put in that determins how good a dog you end up with not the price you pay or how inbred the bloodline is.

just my opinion, not saying its write or wrong but its the one i'l stick with.

You can't argue with good genetics mate.

Yes you can get a mut that works well but that's not the norm.

Same as you can get a dog from great stock that's rubbish but again not the norm.

Upshot is Cockerpoo's selling for £900 is just asking the puppy farms to go into full production

+1 to the above.

That's very true.

I've seen Sprockers for the same money as pedigree Springers.

The so called designer dogs seem to be getting churned out more and more.But i cannot see why anyone would pay good money to own a cross breed mongrel.When for the same money or less they can have a dog with a pedigree and a history to base their purchase on.

Yes, agreed! Its just a dodge with the false promise of a better dog, all your getting is an unknown prospect. Sister in Law has a ****poo or something (looks like a mop head with eyes) on its third owner, sweet enough thing but she paid more than I might think twice about for a gundog puppy and she treats it like the surrogate child it is. Thing is she recons she did lots of research (most be a heap of BS out there)

I'm not against crosses.

I have pure Springer pups now but have bred Lab x Springers many years back.

Seen some cracking Sprockers and have a couple on my shoot.

I'm not a breeding snob but just saying that after the KC put breeding restrictions in place a few years back to try and stop the puppy farms the designer crosses now open the doors for them again.

Also it's not a case now of turning up at a rubbish kennels, they put the pups out to ordinary looking households now for people to sell on commission.

Actually the implementation of the relevant legislation rests with local councils and not with the Kennel Club.

There is plenty of legislation in place to control puppy farms, all it needs is for the law to be enforced.

Nothing wrong with cross breeding (or designer dogs if you like that silly term), it's a fact that first crossed produce a much stronger, healthier animal, it's called hybrid vigor.

So what if someone wants a fluffy doodle instead of a purebred, if such a pet gives the owner pleasure that's good enough for me.

I have discussed the topic of KC ped etc before and don't think much more can be added. As for people paying over the odds for x bred gun dogs in my experience they will pay no matter what others say I did have a litter of good springer pups docked kc reg chipped and first jabs sold these for a lot less than sprockers and labradoodles that where being advertised at the same time on shooting and hunting web sites. I am lucky that all of the pups ended up going to gun dog folk who had wanted a pup of my bitch in the first place and the others sold to working homes through the good old word of mouth.So I think even if you gave gundog pups away for nowt some people would still buy a x bred dog could be for the fashion at the time or cos they think they would turn into a snob if the pup was KC reg. :lol:

Actually the implementation of the relevant legislation rests with local councils and not with the Kennel Club.

There is plenty of legislation in place to control puppy farms, all it needs is for the law to be enforced.

Nothing wrong with cross breeding (or designer dogs if you like that silly term), it's a fact that first crossed produce a much stronger, healthier animal, it's called hybrid vigor.

So what if someone wants a fluffy doodle instead of a purebred, if such a pet gives the owner pleasure that's good enough for me.

well said :good:

Local councils don't decide how many litters a bitch can have between the ages of 2 & 7.

It's not a fact that a 1st cross produces a stronger dog at all, especially if both parents are sickly under nourished dogs.

I have no problem with someone wanting whatever dog floats their boat.

My problem is with the places that produce these fluffy dogs so they can be stuffed in a handbag so their owner can prance along pretending to be Paris Hilton

Those who run puppy farms dont care what the kc or local council say and will bread heavily from a bitch be it a cross breed or pedigree pup. They will produce whatever is selling well at the time.

All those involved in puppy farms want locking up.

simple.

it mattera not weather it be a little fluffy toy or even a pedigree so long as the pup is looked after.

Does it really matter what breed Paris Hilton stuffs in her knickers, I guess whatever breed she and others choose, it will be cosseted and well looked after.

Your energies would be better used campaigning against puppy farms rather than lambasting those genuine people who breed or happen to prefer a crossbred dog. After all not all who breed such dogs are so called puppy farms.