Species removed from 'the list'

Wildfowler12

Evening all. A friend of mine was telling me some fowling tales of years gone by, and we got on the subject of species that have been taken off the quarry list. Does anyone know where this information is stored? I'd like to see what species have been removed since say... The 70's?

A google search hasn't proved too useful, so I'm hoping the PW massive can provide the answers as per :good:

During the debate leading up to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, our MPs voted to remove the curlew from the list of quarry species. One justified his action by saying, "The curlew has such a lovely call." No one would disagree with that but it hardly seems a reason to give the bird full protection. Curlew were never in any danger from over-shooting. The main threat to the species, as to so many others, lies in the loss of habitat. Just why a fight was not put up at that time remains a mystery but the sad fact is that a valuable sporting bird was lost to the wildfowler

I`m not enrirely sure why, when so many people on here were not around for the passage through parliament of the Wildlife and Countryside Act that some should acuse BASC of "rolling over".

They fought tooth and nail to maintain the status quo in the quarry species list, but, as we all know, sadly, lost the fight.

There is a world of difference between the two things.

The first piece of legislation that bit into the quarry list was the 1954 Protection of Birds Act, the next was the WLACA `81, both of which can be found on `tinternet.

Curlew have only been removed the the quarry list for a handful of years in NI .They tasted nice Sept and Oct as they fed mainly in the fields and on stubble. When feeding on the foreshore, they were muddy.

A number of my friends referred to the early season ones as "poor man's steak."

Curlew have only been removed the the quarry list for a handful of years in NI .They tasted nice Sept and Oct as they fed mainly in the fields and on stubble. When feeding on the foreshore, they were muddy.

A number of my friends referred to the early season ones as "poor man's steak."

Was it last season they where taken off the list big all?

If properly cooked curlew were one of the best tasteing wildfowl. I used to debreast them, put in a cassrol dish with carrots, small spuds, any odd veg , ie ,sprouts , an oxo , a hint of curry powder and a tin of mullgatawny soup and cook on a slow heat for 4 hours. The end result was very good. I have tryed the same dish with geese breasts and duck , while ok they are noway near as good as curlew.Give me a curlew any day rather than a saltmarsh wigeon or teal. Some say late season birds tasted poor , but I never had a bad one. As for a sporting quarry they amoung the best , wary, hard to outwit and difficult to hit.

As for lapwings , they were on the list in some counties , but not others back in the 1940s. We may still large flocks of them but they are in steep decline . In reality we did not loose that much in the countryside and wildlife act, few of us would ever get the chance to shoot sea ducks like scooter and grey plover, godwits and wimbril were only a minor loss. True redshank were good to eat , but nowadays with the advent of steel shot i doubt if i would bother to shoot them. But curlew are a different story.

Edited by anser2

Was it last season they where taken off the list big all?

I can't remember exactly but it is off 2 or 3 years anyway. I think they were taken off around the same time as the Irish Hare. I'm not good with dates!

We used to shoot a fair few in Sept Oct on Strangford south shore. They got very wary after a while - much more wary than the wildfowl!

I remember see huge flocks as a lad when my dada and I used to travel up to Bedford each Saturday for the pigeons. A not so common sight now though.

I also used to find nests and chicks on the pastures along the River Roding at Abridge in Essex, but again, no more.

If properly cooked curlew were one of the best tasteing wildfowl. I used to debreast them, put in a cassrol dish with carrots, small spuds, any odd veg , ie ,sprouts , an oxo , a hint of curry powder and a tin of mullgatawny soup and cook on a slow heat for 4 hours. The end result was very good. I have tryed the same dish with geese breasts and duck , while ok they are noway near as good as curlew.Give me a curlew any day rather than a saltmarsh wigeon or teal. Some say late season birds tasted poor , but I never had a bad one. As for a sporting quarry they amoung the best , wary, hard to outwit and difficult to hit.

As for lapwings , they were on the list in some counties , but not others back in the 1940s. We may still large flocks of them but they are in steep decline . In reality we did not loose that much in the countryside and wildlife act, few of us would ever get the chance to shoot sea ducks like scooter and grey plover, godwits and wimbril were only a minor loss. True redshank were good to eat , but nowadays with the advent of steel shot i doubt if i would bother to shoot them. But curlew are a different story.

I can't remember exactly but it is off 2 or 3 years anyway. I think they were taken off around the same time as the Irish Hare. I'm not good with dates!

We used to shoot a fair few in Sept Oct on Strangford south shore. They got very wary after a while - much more wary than the wildfowl!

Yes your right big al. The south shore.always has plenty of curlew about it, more than ducks and geese at the minute anyway

I wondered if curlew tastes like a big woodcock? That would be awesome

Tastes more like a burnt brick if my memory serves me correct!

Slightly irrelevant me thinks, at least to the law abiding citizens :lol: .

Ah lad, some of us is old enough to have shot them legal - and a lot of other things as well

I once won a large bag of daffodil bulbs by shooting five straight redshanks - but that's another story.

Swan tasted good back in the war as well - road kill naturally :whistling:

Edited by Grandalf

Forget re-adding a big fat own goal for shooting! As such birds loose their caution (like the Brent) Peter Scott described the Brent as "the wariest of all the birds" yet today they paddle round my feet while the dog gives me perplexed looks, there would as such be no "sport" to be had only cold blooded murder until numbers are again under threat (what we maybe need to consider is incredibly short seasons for any future bird under threat, this way they are never again lost but gain the protection they deserve. Curlew breed here where I live and they struggle to leave in higher numbers than they come. I cannot even credit someone is thinking of shooting Lapwing, 20-25yrs ago there were lots now numbers are so low on the traditional breeding grounds I am wondering about the next 20

Ah lad, some of us is old enough to have shot them legal - and a lot of other things as well

I once won a large bag of daffodil bulbs by shooting five straight redshanks - but that's another story.

Swan tasted good back in the war as well - road kill naturally :whistling:

Quite a while since I've been a lad :yes: , but point taken and I don't know how you cooked that swan to make it edible either :lol: .

Thankfully Irish Hare is back on the list.

Forget re-adding a big fat own goal for shooting! As such birds loose their caution (like the Brent) Peter Scott described the Brent as "the wariest of all the birds" yet today they paddle round my feet while the dog gives me perplexed looks, there would as such be no "sport" to be had only cold blooded murder until numbers are again under threat (what we maybe need to consider is incredibly short seasons for any future bird under threat, this way they are never again lost but gain the protection they deserve. Curlew breed here where I live and they struggle to leave in higher numbers than they come. I cannot even credit someone is thinking of shooting Lapwing, 20-25yrs ago there were lots now numbers are so low on the traditional breeding grounds I am wondering about the next 20

Quite a lot of lapwing my way but obviously not the same all over. Same for curlew.