Stinking goose

FalconFN

I picked up our Christmas goose today from a local farmer, he seemed a nice bloke and we had a chat about the boar and venison that he also sold. When I got home I opened up the bag and it smelled as the goose had turned, it was pretty bad but I gave it a good salt wash to make sure it wasn't just on the outside but it still reeked. I took it back and although he offered, and gave, a full refund he claimed it was what all his geese smelled like and it was just gamey - although I'm not sure how he knew it wasn't off as he didn't even open the bag to smell it. I know the difference between a high gamey smell and decay and this was firmly in the rotten camp.

I'm a bit peed off as I wanted to support a local farmer and I now have to go to Tesco for my goose.

I've learned a lesson, I'll try again next year though but I won't be buying from a farmer's garage and I'll go to my butcher instead.

I avoid goose at Christmas..... I shot our crissie lunch..... It will be Fezant and duck breasts rolled around pork stuffing (the pork from a friend).

It will be steamed in a tight wrap and finished in a pork scratching crumble.

Traditional...no, but very succulent and tasty.

Sorry to hear you got done....not nice even if you did got a refund. You might pick up a bargain in tescos late afternoon.......