Treading on Rape

Target Practice

I assured one of my farmers recently that I would keep off the crop as much as possible, and only go on to retrieve the fallen. He said you won't do any harm just walking on it, and nothing compared to pigeon damage! ... That was winter wheat mind you, but I'd guess it's much the same with rape . I just have a little think before I start setting out the decoy pattern, so that I have everything to hand, and a plan in place to walk out once to furthest point and work back to the hide, with the minimum of criss-crossing or backtracking. Same when collecting them in again.

Edited by Longchalk

Well I am allowed to drive on the rape if they are hitting it hard. one wheel in the tram line one wheel doing damage. The rape always seems to recover and I have been doing it for 20 years and the farmers are well aware of it. sometimes if you have a lot of gear and the pigeons are a long way out to get the flight line you just need to. Best to give the farmer a call and ask. woodfordfallow