Gun Cabinet Key storage

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting how FLO's guidance differs. When I mentioned hiding my spare set within the home he assured me that an experienced burglar would soon find them.

Particularly if they'd done a bit of time at HMP, six months or more spent swapping stories on all the unusual places homeowners 'hide' valuables, keys etc :sad1:

Regards remmyman

Key security is a thorny old issue and there is no 'standard' advice. Carry one on you and the other should be locked in an approved safe, three miles below ground, in a secure military bunker, guarded by hounds from one of the more pestilential pits of hell. (Although, please ensure these have no access to the actual keys, you wouldn't want to get into trouble) and if you can house this facility on another planet, in another galaxy...or better yet, another dimension I think even the most hardened Firearms officer will concede these precautions are 'probably' adequate! ;-)

Thanks ,now i have to find somewhere else to hide them :lol:

my FEO didnt like the idea of the key safe? said there are far more ingenious and safer places to hide my keys as his logic was that if some one broke in they would find the safe and start looking for keys

if your out and the keys are with you they can't break into your key safe and get easy access to the guns that said if they come with the intention of taking your guns they won't need the keys and will force their way into the cabinet or come when your home and attempt to force you to open the safe

Interesting how FLO's guidance differs. When I mentioned hiding my spare set within the home he assured me that an experienced burglar would soon find them.

Particularly if they'd done a bit of time at HMP, six months or more spent swapping stories on all the unusual places homeowners 'hide' valuables, keys etc :sad1:

Regards remmyman

Most burglars aren't very bright and they're after things they can easily sell at Cash Converters, so they are in and out fairly quickly.

Searching for keys someone has stashed well away is unlikely, unless they know they have loads of time.

If I came tooled up I reckon I could be inside my cabinet fairly easily within 5 minutes (its a Brattonsound), with a Stihl saw I'd be in it in less than a minute.

And most of us have garages full of tools that would help, I've got grinders, pry bars, etc in drawers and tool chests in my garage.

If anyone gets into my house when we're not around and manages to also get at my tools in the garage then my cabinet isn't going to last too long anyway, regardless of where the keys are.

You can only do your best, if someone wants to get inside your cabinet and has the time to do it then they will.

Edited by Alfred

I think if I was going to get a second safe, it would be something like this which I could bolt to a wall at the back of a wardrobe in the bedroom. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-SECURITY-ELECTRONIC-DIGITAL-SAFE-STEEL-SAFE-HOME-/330996320688?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item4d10eb09b0

We have a large, fireproof media and valuables safe, which is where I put the keys and retrieved them when the FLO came round. He then asked if my girlfriend had access to it too, so we had the discussion about it. With one of these above, I could mount it up in a wardrobe bolted to a wall and I'd have the only combination. I think that's as secure as I can realistically get.

Either that or I'll just hide the keys somewhere :)

Trust me - they are not high security !

Buy one of the cheaper small combination lock key cupboards (master key) and just put that inside your big safe so you're the only one with access to your gun cabinet keys.

Why? key in pocket....... guns in house.....

As long as you don't have a tag on the keys with your address and "Gun cabinet" on them what's the issue?

no idea, i had heard that our feo was a bit of a pain in the backside and been told by another welsh member here that he liked key safes so i did what i had to to keep him happy.. and apart from that i feel sdafer not carrying them, as i tend to loose things, my key safe may not be the best security in the world but its also well hidden

Now we have just told all robbers where we hide the keys spare key in gun safe main key on chain round neck

Notice on gun cabinet door

entry and or removal of contents is instant 5 years at HMP

This I know won't appeal to all Flo

Just another thought

All the best

Of

That only applies to sect 5 arms..............

The Criminal Justice Act 2003 introduced a mandatory minimum sentence for anyone

convicted of unlawful possession of certain prohibited weapons under Section 5 of the
Firearms Act 1968. The intention was that anyone charged with another offence involving
one of these weapons (for example, armed trespass) would also be charged with unlawful
possession, thereby attracting the minimum sentence of five years. However, following a
case in 2005 when an offender escaped the minimum sentence, the Government was asked
to apply the minimum sentence specifically to other serious firearms offences in order to
simplify the charging process.
Therefore the minimum sentence applies to the following offences under the 1968 Firearms
Act;
• Section 16 - possession of firearm with intent to injure;
• Section 16A - possession of firearm with intent to cause fear of violence;
• Section 17 - use of firearm to resist arrest;
• Section 18 - carrying firearm with criminal intent;
• Section 19 - carrying a firearm in a public place;
• Section 20(1) - trespassing in a building with a firearm.
This extension only covers weapons or ammunition which previously came within the
minimum sentence provisions, although on a more limited scale. They are defined under
section 5(1)(a), (ab), (aba), (ac), (ad), (ae), (af) or © or section 5(1A)(a) of the 1968 Act.

Trust me - they are not high security !

Buy one of the cheaper small combination lock key cupboards (master key) and just put that inside your big safe so you're the only one with access to your gun cabinet keys.

OK, this sounds like the best idea so far, thanks very much. The big safe is pretty hefty and, obviously, bolted to a concrete floor in a corder inside a cupboard.

Cheers.

That only applies to sect 5 arms..............

assuming they don't know what's in your cabinet and they've got by the dog it would be a better deterrent than nothing and make them think is it worth it

As the intruder is in your house and taken a gun without authority I think section 9& or 10 have been broken

Thanks for your reply and I'm glad security is taken seriously

No more guns behind porch doors and hung over fireplaces

All the best

Key security is a thorny old issue and there is no 'standard' advice. Carry one on you and the other should be locked in an approved safe, three miles below ground, in a secure military bunker, guarded by hounds from one of the more pestilential pits of hell. (Although, please ensure these have no access to the actual keys, you wouldn't want to get into trouble) and if you can house this facility on another planet, in another galaxy...or better yet, another dimension I think even the most hardened Firearms officer will concede these precautions are 'probably' adequate! ;-)

:lol:

This is pretty much my view on the subject, just hide the ****ing things. No burglar on earth is going to spend hours in a house they've just broken into searching for safe keys.

They'll spend a couple of minutes taking jewellery and small items and be gone.

Just be sensible.

1 key always on me, in trousers even at night close to me, other one at my workplace locker, only me with key to that cabinet. Usual CCTV-s around house, alarm, etc. But a burglar still able to come in if he wants to IMHO... You can slow them down with current laws or push them to choose easier targets but no more...

Edited by londonercsecse

To cut a long story short, I had an issue with family member finding my cabinet keys & removing a large sum of money, put all different measures in place with the helpful aid of Lancs Firearms Dept (as I called them, just incase) to hide keys under all means of ways, locked away in 1 cabinet with the key for that in another etc. etc, now gone down the route (expensive I know but needs must) of changing cabinets to a Buffalo River digital cabinet (£600 worth), now emergency key is hidden at *************** ***************** **************** & no chance of anyone getting my pass code or access to cabinet, FEO more than happy, no issue of someone finding keys ;-)

Forgot to say, many thanks to Pete, Jim & all @ Lancs F/arms great guys & very helpful