Deer on 10 acres?

Just wondering if 10 acres of woodland in rural south east will likely have enough game on it? hoping to shoot a muntjack a week at least. I know the deer population is high around here… any ideas? I'm looking to buy the land so are there good ways to gauge the traffic through the land? theres water on the land (river) so hopeful?

Also, is it possible to bring/bait them in/onto my land?

Edited by mememe

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing to do is to buy a stealth cam, you can but them any where. You can leave it set up day and night, and the photos it takes will give you a good idea as to what game is there. Or get there first thing in the morning/last thing at night and have a look what's about.

For a small bit of land like that, you might be best sticking a high seat up and shooting straight into the ground, just for safety's sake.

I can categorically say there is absolutely no way you will shoot a muntjac a week throughout the year on 10 acres of land.

Agreed. I shot a piece of land that was 28 acres and had a very high muntjac population, I only had limited access to it but shot 7 in my first 7 visits, not long after that it became harder to find them, let alone shoot them.

The theory that you can't shoot them out was also disproven, as after a year or so of light pressure they were no where to be seen even on non-stalking visits, whereas before they could be seen on any visit, more or less at any time of the day.

Water will be of no interest to them by the way.

Foe evidence of their presence look for slots in softer mud, or as has been suggested stick a trail cam up for a while.

You can if there are 52 of them there

If there were they wouldn't just wait around to be shot ;)

Why do you want to shoot atleast one a week

venison

catweazle, yes the land is surrounded by other woodland so I don't see why they would avoid the bit I'm looking at. Its the part of the country that has most of the deer in the UK.

Edited by mememe

Unless your 10 acres is a "bridge" between two much larger areas of woodland you have no chance of seeing that many.

The ten acres I'm looking at is on the edge of thousands of acres of woodland where it meets a main road and civilisation beyond. The other half of the plan is move to a house across the road from it basically, so I can be over there as much as possible and even keep an eye on from home. There a strong possibility I could get permission from the vendor to hunt the rest of the woods because he owns it all afaik. Might be able to work something into the deal maybe.

The ten acres I'm looking at is on the edge of thousands of acres of woodland where it meets a main road and civilisation beyond. The other half of the plan is move to a house across the road from it basically, so I can be over there as much as possible and even keep an eye on from home. There a strong possibility I could get permission from the vendor to hunt the rest of the woods because he owns it all afaik. Might be able to work something into the deal maybe.

Sounds good. I owned some woodland in Kent, really enjoyed it.

Remy, Its at least as sporting as putting a worm on a hook but anyway, its hunting to me, not sport. Deer share licks and rubs and exchange bodily fluids all by themselves constantly so I can't see how some apples is going to make any difference. Honestly, i think a deer can manage a whole apple and another deer will probably have a different apple lol

Catweazle - Cheers

Scotto - don't think we getting any but ye would be nice, good idea.

Edited by mememe

I have to agree, No way will you get one a week and if that's your goal get a new hobby as you will never last as a stalker. Shooting out deer is very hard unless they are fenced in but they soon learn were is not safe and move on elsewhere. I feel a big issue with Deer spreading into inappropriate areas is ground being over stalked badly. Short, highly targeted / planned and well executed culling is the way forwards but as long as people will pay...........

Venison is a byproduct of stalking, if you wish to deal vension become a game dealer and buy it in its cheaper or farm Reds they are bigger!

I have to agree, No way will you get one a week and if that's your goal get a new hobby as you will never last as a stalker. Shooting out deer is very hard unless they are fenced in but they soon learn were is not safe and move on elsewhere. I feel a big issue with Deer spreading into inappropriate areas is ground being over stalked badly. Short, highly targeted / planned and well executed culling is the way forwards but as long as people will pay...........

Venison is a byproduct of stalking, if you wish to deal vension become a game dealer and buy it in its cheaper or farm Reds they are bigger!

Venison is the product of deer hunting (fun is the byproduct) which is what I'm interested in not any of that lifestyle or business stuff mate - just free range, organic venison of known provenance for eating not selling. People who play at it because they like killing things or those who abuse a natural resource, free to all for profit can call themselves whatever they like - I just want to hunt for food within my rights and the law.

My mate averages 2 per week but that is off 5000 acres not 10 within 3 months you will not find a deer on that land there not that stupid

Deershooter

if you shoot it as hard as you are saying in three months you will be lucky to see a living creature anywhere near it

see post 11 - if what you were saying was true, there wouldn't be 2 million plus deer running around the country (most of em round my way) and there would be no need at all for management or culls a t all.

Edited by mememe

How can you eat a whole muntjack every week if you are not selling it for 52 weeks per year

Strike me this could be spam !!!!

If not that's what you need and by the sound of it ,a pallet load per month should do

Deershooter

Are you working on the completely mad assumption that I'm going to eat it all by myself?! do you not have a family? Ive got brothers sister parents, 4 kids of my own and inlaws.

You clearly know little about muntjack too if you think 4 butchered would equate to a pallet load. you stick to your findus crispy pancakes mate.

Edited by mememe

U seem to know it's possible already so don't see the point of the thread but 10 acres really isn't very big (ur only looking at a 250m square) Any shot is going to spook the whole plot, but be better to do habitat work so deer really want to be there rather than feeding

But good luck with it