Deer on 10 acres?

Welcome to the world of stalking.

Without wishing to sound like a school teacher but if your keen and interested in your new hobby it may be worth spending a little time out in your wood with some binos having a very slow and methodical look round. Look for slots and racks through the undergrowth and places where they cross rides.

Can you get access to the rest of the woodland ? to try and assess how many deer there are. That would give a clue as to proposed cull numbers.

Lastly you may wish to start using the correct terminology for your newly chosen sport. Stalking is what we do, hunting is done with a pack of hounds or by our friends across the pond.

Good luck and have some fun, you'll sure enjoy the venison.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lastly you may wish to start using the correct terminology for your newly chosen sport. Stalking is what we do, hunting is done with a pack of hounds or by our friends across the pond.

Good luck and have some fun, you'll sure enjoy the venison.

in that case, the correct terminology in this case, would be WOODLAND MANAGEMENT

as a woodland owner, there is no closed season, or any need for "stalking certificates" just a good old 12 gauge

in that case, the correct terminology in this case, would be WOODLAND MANAGEMENT

as a woodland owner, there is no closed season, or any need for "stalking certificates" just a good old 12 gauge

Got a nice ring to it that. Its still hunting MY book though :)

It's fairly unbelievable this thread, it's interesting though that the woodland only had muntjac. My betting though is you would get fed up shooting and butchering your one a week almost as fast as the kids would get fed up eating it for every meal. They make decent eating but are the most fiddly deer to process and the end result is nice but a bit of variety is what eating is all about. Bearing in mind they are worth naff all at the game dealer you could buy them cheaper than 10 acres of woodland

It's fairly unbelievable this thread, it's interesting though that the woodland only had muntjac. My betting though is you would get fed up shooting and butchering your one a week almost as fast as the kids would get fed up eating it for every meal. They make decent eating but are the most fiddly deer to process and the end result is nice but a bit of variety is what eating is all about. Bearing in mind they are worth naff all at the game dealer you could buy them cheaper than 10 acres of woodland

Alex your forgetting that he is new to the sport and he has the highest concentration of deer in the the south east ( aylesbury bucks) so he says ,I wasn't aware of this fact but apparently it's true mememe said so. He has got to be trolling.

I manage a 10 acre wood and have been doing it now for 2 years. In my time since starting it, I have taken 13 Roe and 11 Muntjac, so I am averaging one per month. Admitedly the number of Deer has dropped for obvious reasons and these numbers will probably half over the next 2 years.

As has been stated Munti are not the easiest Deer to process, indeed I should say skin, as once they are skinned it is as per any Deer. The ones I am stalking just now in various other area's are still feeding well and they have a fair bit of under skin fat which is a right pain when skinning them. Yes, they are great eating, but I would not like to be processing one a week.

Agree with kent, and if u know so much about deer stalking and carrying capacities, how did u ever think u were going to get a realistic answer of people who have never seen ur wood.

Ur woods could be gods gift for deer or it could be completetly usless and offer deer absolutely nothing, how can u possibly guage carrying capactiy or population densities over the net without even a vague description of woodland type, age, structure etc

Are you working on the completely mad assumption that I'm going to eat it all by myself?! do you not have a family? Ive got brothers sister parents, 4 kids of my own and inlaws.

You clearly know little about muntjack too if you think 4 butchered would equate to a pallet load. you stick to your findus crispy pancakes mate.

Read the post again it is you sir who knows nothing about muntjacs I would suggest that you research deer management and gain a professional qualification in this subject where you will then be in a better situation to comment ,

with reference to the pallet load I was referring to SPAM ie Spiced Pork And Meat.

Just a question do you actually own a FAC with a deer legal caliber rifle on it ? and how many deer have you shot to date

Please let us know

Deershooter

Alex your forgetting that he is new to the sport and he has the highest concentration of deer in the the south east ( aylesbury bucks) so he says ,I wasn't aware of this fact but apparently it's true mememe said so. He has got to be trolling.

If you actually read my posts you would know we are talking about a piece of land I haven't bought yet and an adjacent house, not where I happen to live at the moment - You are misquoting and misrepresenting what I said about where I live and deer population - I didn't say Aylesbury anywhere in the thread did I? no. The area/part of uk I meant is the south east, where I read we have the highest population of muntjack which is the deer I said I was solely interested in.

Thanks again to those who posted something constructive.

Read the post again it is you sir who knows nothing about muntjacs I would suggest that you research deer management and gain a professional qualification in this subject where you will then be in a better situation to comment ,

with reference to the pallet load I was referring to SPAM ie Spiced Pork And Meat.

Just a question do you actually own a FAC with a deer legal caliber rifle on it ? and how many deer have you shot to date

Please let us know

Deershooter

I'll tell you what I should have said to your first question - mind your own business.

btw "actually own a FAC.." sounds a bit off-key... mum know your on the computer yeah?

Edited by mememe

I manage a 10 acre wood and have been doing it now for 2 years. In my time since starting it, I have taken 13 Roe and 11 Muntjac, so I am averaging one per month. Admitedly the number of Deer has dropped for obvious reasons and these numbers will probably half over the next 2 years.

As has been stated Munti are not the easiest Deer to process, indeed I should say skin, as once they are skinned it is as per any Deer. The ones I am stalking just now in various other area's are still feeding well and they have a fair bit of under skin fat which is a right pain when skinning them. Yes, they are great eating, but I would not like to be processing one a week.

Thats helpful, thank you!

Agree with kent, and if u know so much about deer stalking and carrying capacities, how did u ever think u were going to get a realistic answer of people who have never seen ur wood.

Ur woods could be gods gift for deer or it could be completetly usless and offer deer absolutely nothing, how can u possibly guage carrying capactiy or population densities over the net without even a vague description of woodland type, age, structure etc

spot on. people are going to need way more info than it's got a river. What trees is it made up of would help for starters. Is there much human traffic near it - dog walkers and the like? how dense is the wood? All this would help if you do genuinely want to know if what you're proposing is actually possible. If you think the concerns being raised here are unnecessarily objectionable, just wait until your FEO comes to assess the land for a deer cleared FAC rifle...

Edited by chrisjpainter

Ok so you've read about the deer concentration well you need to read a bit about muntjac. They live in 1's and 2's generally and you would be lucky to have more than 2 in 10 acres unless it's extremely good woodland. I'm in an area with one of the highest densities and even on very good ground you don't get much more than that. They do move and spread well but your 10 acres won't give that reliable meat supply and you would need to put in rides to have half a chance of seeing any through the summer

This isn't going well is it ?

To sum up, it's 10 acres on the edge of a 1000 acre wood. This means that the deer have a very small chance of being in your bit at random, and are likely to stay away completely once they see or smell you in your bit. However, deer will go where the food is. So if, for example, your 10 acres had been recently coppiced an there was lots of tender new growth there, not just of the trees themselves but of all the other plant life that appears when an area is coppiced, then you might find them drawn in, especially if the rest of the woods are unmanaged.

On the practical side, 10 acres is so small that it's going to be very difficult to get into a position where you have a shot at a deer and a safe backstop on your own land, and if the woodland is close to housing and a road then getting it cleared for a deer calibre might be difficult. My woodland was very dense coppice, but was only cleared to 22 Hornet, although a shooter I know with open ticket was happy to use his .243 on it.

I have no experience of shooting deer, just of owning and managing a small woodland.

I'm in a sort of similar position in so much i am in the fortunate process off buying 8 acres of forestry/building site (apart from the fact i have a fac, shot deer, dscc1&2 and am just waiting on the hand over date) I have no doubt i will shoot the first deer i see on it just to say i have shot a deer on my own ground for the first time ever, but after that i will probably spend far more time watching/photographing them than shooting them. And i think most REAL stalkers would far rather watch a nice buck over a few years than shoot it first time they see it. Was really surprised just how small 8 acres actually is, sounds a decent size but when u see it marked out pretty tiny really

This land also adjoins thousands and thousands of acres of forestry (i'm in a syndicate couple of miles further into the wood 1500 acres for around 20 deer)

Wether it is possible or not i dunno but the only way it would be to shoot every deer as soon as it steps foot over ur boundry, do not kid urself that deer or woodland management (to be management u have to actual manage something u have to understand it and not shoot on sight) that is raping the ground.

Have u thought of carcas recover? Not all deer drop on the spot, esp munties, with ur small area u really want to be shooting them with a larger calibre round (which would probably not be cleared for a small area) or else most of ur vension may soon become ur neighours and illegal for u to takie it

Think my next thread will be asking how long my piece off string is? Any ideas

spot on. people are going to need way more info than it's got a river. What trees is it made up of would help for starters. Is there much human traffic near it - dog walkers and the like? how dense is the wood? All this would help if you do genuinely want to know if what you're proposing is actually possible. If you think the concerns being raised here are unnecessarily objectionable, just wait until your FEO comes to assess the land for a deer cleared FAC rifle...

:good:

10 acres is 220 yards by 220 yards by the time you made your way in everything in there would know you were there how can you possibly use a centerfire rifle on this land you would be hard pushed to get a rim fire with Lincolnshire on this one

Just because it's your land don't always mean that you can shoot on it with a centerfire rifle ,even with a high seat I don't think this would be safe

Stick to the air rifle and eat the pigeons

Deershooter