best pigeon crop atm?

cpaulc

On my permission there is no rape about, just beans, wheat and some (i think) clover. There is rape surrounding the land, I was thinking that perhaps the beans when they begin to sprout would be worth a look? Or just find a flight line and set up under that?

It is very rare that pigeons will be attracted to beans once they are above ground and put out leaves. Have another look next September if you can wait that long once the fields have been harvested.

The clover may be an attractant. Just keep your eyes open.

There is absolutely no point in setting up unless there are good numbers of birds feeding on anything. If you have a flightline that is a different matter.

It is very rare that pigeons will be attracted to beans once they are above ground and put out leaves. Have another look next September if you can wait that long once the fields have been harvested.

The clover may be an attractant. Just keep your eyes open.

There is absolutely no point in setting up unless there are good numbers of birds feeding on anything. If you have a flightline that is a different matter.

I would say that a flight line is a very good place to set up .They wont decoy they will fly the flight line for hours both out and back in. We had a bag two weeks ago of 136 one afternoon. I like to watch it one afternoon and take time to choose the spot. Then take a good open top hide and don't move to early to take the shot. good luck

Flight line finding it is then, fortunately there is a nice hill in the middle which gives a good lookout. And finding next door farmer once they start hitting the rape is a fab idea. Not too worried there seems to be promise come harvest time and later in the year.There are lots of crows and rooks about so I may try that too.

Your best bet this time of year is to shoot a flight line over your land or wait till they start on the rape next door and decoy your land next to it or even ask permission on the rape stating that you shoot next door.

we have the exact situation at the moment not the flightline but rape running right up to the fields we can shoot and no hedge border just stops dead inches from the fields we shoot we will ask but if we don,t get permission to shoot it we will shoot very close to it once they hit it

also watch any clover or grassland with clover on it around springtime woodies love a bit of clover. :good:

+1 all the pigeons shot today had the crop full with clover and beech mast... also last spring i had thousands feeding on clover on my permission...

Edited by shootgun