What's a reasonable hourly wage for a 13yr old ?

TaxiDriver

My son is often saying he wants this or that, and he wishes he could save up his pocket money (when I can afford to give him some)

More recently he has asked about finding a job so he can earn some money (fair play to him I reckon)

Recently I've been working on a 'zero hours' / casual basis for a local Breakdown/Recovery firm and asked the boss about the possibility of my son doing some work, mainly washing down the trucks, tea making, washing/hoovering the courtesy cars, sweeping/tidying the workshop, that even if was just a few hours on a Saturday or Sunday when Im in work, that sort of thing.

Im hoping it would be a good 'life lesson & experience' and teach him the value of working for and earning his money.

The Boss was open to the idea but needs to talk to the wages lady/secretary before he'll say Yay or Nay and seems like it might only be be an insurance issue that would prevent it (hopefully not)

So, just soliciting opinions as to what would be a reasonable expectation with regards to remuneration ?

When I were a lad it were luxury to be asked to mek tea. I used be the table for the men so the could rest their feet on me! :lol::lol:

Good on him/you to try and get out and earn a bit! I would say 20 quid for a Saturday or Sunday Morning 9-12?

There are strict limits in hours and times he can work under 15 iirc + H&S aspects which the employer has to consider. I did similar from about 14 in the holidays and didn't do me any harm (except start me smoking!!!!) I'm sure there were lots of lads doing things like paper rounds, washing on car lots etc good luck to him.

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/minimum-ages-children-can-work

Edited by HDAV

When I were a lad it were luxury to be asked to mek tea. I used be the table for the men so the could rest their feet on me! :lol::lol:

Good on him/you to try and get out and earn a bit! I would say 20 quid for a Saturday or Sunday Morning 9-12?

May I say good on your lad, with that attitude he will do well for him self,

I agree with the above, 20 for half days graft is god money for a 13 year old( I used to get a tenner a day when I was 13 back in 1987 ,working in a butchers shop washing the trays etc), it was a lot to have in my pocket and was great , I didn't have to mither my dad for money for air rifle pellets, and gave me a sense of the value and earning your own coin,

Good on you and your son,

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

HDAV Thanks for that link, I've saved it for future reference.

Thanks for the feedback so far folks and the kind comments,

I know Im (maybe) slightly biased but he's a good kid and sensible, I think it would be a positive lesson in many respects, and I think he'll learn to cope with a bit of mickey taking, and would give him a sense of pride in earning his own money, I was thinking something like £3 - £3.25 ph wouldn't be expecting too much

Edited by TaxiDriver

Good guide in the regs here:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/work_w/work_young_people_e/young_people_and_employment.htm#h_hours_of_work_and_rest_breaks

for longer than one hour before school and the work period must end at least half an hour before school starts

for more than two hours on a Sunday

between 1 July and 31 August without two weeks continuous holiday

without written parental consent to the your employment

without suitable protective clothing and footwear if you are to work outside.

In addition, if you are under the age of 15 you must:-

not work for more than five hours on a Saturday or non-school day

not work for more than 27 hours in a week

have a rest period of three consecutive hours during each twelve hour period

be allowed one hour for meals and rest after four hours continuous work on a Saturday, after three hours continuous work on any other day.

As for rates £2-£3 an hour? £15 for a Saturday morning graft 8-12/1

Edited by HDAV

Looking at the guide you linked to HDAV,

It would seem he can only do 5 hours on a Saturday or only 2hrs on a Sunday (how strange & possibly outdated if for religous reasonings)

So 5hrs at £3 wouldn't be bad for 13yr old ? (I don't think )

As I stated, for me its as much about the lesson/experience as the money.

and a seat on the board ??

you are obviously very tight or don't appreciate hard labour ??? Which one is it...

A 13 yr old lad that has been brought up properly can probably give you a better days work than a benefit cheat wanting a fast buck,,, I no who I would rather give my money too, well done for the boy this gives the lad the meaning of life to work and not scrounge... !!!!!

Edited by delburt0

eldest grandson does saturday n sunday cleaning at a certain transport hub and pulls 15 quid a day for his trouble and he,s been there a while so must do a good job .he,s a saver too so he knows the value of his earned cash and can buy what he wants without tapping anyone up for the money .

Last year a friend of mine asked me if I could find some work for her 14yr old son during the school holidays, so I got him doing some labouring for me on a garden clearance for another friend, when asking how much I should pay him, my mate said £5 a day!? He worked better than any of the lads Ive employed, and he left with £20 and an job opportunity once he finishes school.

you are obviously very tight or don't appreciate hard labour ??? Which one is it...

A 13 yr old lad that has been brought up properly can probably give you a better days work than a benefit cheat wanting a fast buck,,, I no who I would rather give my money too, well done for the boy this gives the lad the meaning of life to work and not scrounge... !!!!!

Both I'm a lazy scrooge... Who rattled your cage anyway...I admire the lads attitude..which is why I asked in my previous post "what is he in to ?" I intended to send him some small gift from my extensive sporting collection of equipment as a reward ...rather than have it gather dust ( and the offer still stands if Taxidriver would like to PM me)

That's the trouble with many of you Yorkshiremen... you all put your mouth into overdrive before your brains in gear. :yes: