Black ice

welsh1

This morning while on the country roads between Cardiff and Caerphilly there was black ice everywhere on a stretch of road, and it was proceed carefully time,i had a few twitches from the Navara but slow speeds and foot off brake saw me progressing nicely,that was until i got to the top of a rise and a woman in her new merc ml had staved in the side of an old couples vectra.

I stopped and offered assistance to both parties,but no injuries so all ok,but the woman dripping with jewellery in the merc ml made me think that some people should not be allowed on the road,in response to the old man telling her she should have slowed down she said"but it shouldn't have slid on the ice it has auto 4x4" what an idiot. :oops:

Then as we are moving the vehicles to the side to squeeze past an insignia comes toward us up a hill with right bend at the top and the vectra in the way,the insignia was going at a lick and braked bounced off both mud banks and ended up across the road with less than a foot front and rear clear of the banks on either side of the road.

I went to see if the driver was ok, but she was ramming the banks and eventually freed the insignia and parked on the side,front end was totalled and i said to her to ring recovery,i offered to look on my phone but she said" don't worry i will have to call police recovery as it's a police car "

Why do people tank it down country roads when the gauge in their car states 0 degrees and the road is wet and a good chance of ice on back lanes.

There was a gent waiting as i went through and he asked me if there was much black ice, i told him for at least the next half a mile down to a bridge was quite bad,he was the first sensible person i spoke to when he said"better turn round then it's not worth the risk"

Go slow people read the road conditions and act accordingly.

Totally agree, had similar the other morning, decided to take it easy and risk being late. Was hardly pushing it but have 10-15 miles if ungritted roads before I get near the main. Had more than a few twitches on the way and was over taken by a teat who went sideways round a corner risking death.

Was a whole 5 mins late for work and had to buy donuts. Ho hum. Better than being 40 years early for the next life.

Black ice is black ice . It can't be seen and truthfully if you hit it at any speed be it 5 mph or 50 mph your going to slide off the road trust me:(

I'm a steady driver and I know my local lanes to well but even I got caught out going steady and was found upside down in a field.

The police shut the road off for the rest of the morning. My dad came out to pick me up but couldn't stand up on the road and the ambulance couldn't get to me as it was stuck at the bottom of the hill :(.

I admit I've seen some right idiots even overtaking in the snow

Guest cookoff013

driving thesedays is all about speed. i passed my test about 7 years ago.

when i was learning i was constantly told, if the road is clear there should be no reason to go below the speedlimit !

thats in the country and taking blind corners. thats just F-in stupid. why are th new generation using all modern safety features to

drive at silly speeds in any weather?

i go on a stretch of road everyday, its one of the most dangerous roads (allegedly) and we see no- end of reports that the road is taking too many lives.

why cant people just drive normally? you loose 5 minutes, but is that really that much time??

All of the aforesaid is good advice but you can still get caught out, in my case I was driving the bosses new 5 series BMW with his wife as a passenger, after approx. 15 ml the roads were wet but good traction, until on a long straight I did a 360deg turn and endeded up in a field when the

recovery truck arrived he stopped but the car following him ploughed in the back of him, needless to say the boss was not best pleased and I was sent home, on returning home I telephoned the council to ask when this road was gritted, given to understand the gritter was out early

"spot gritting" this means they tend to grit the bends but not the straits, a hard learned lesson.

I was talking to my farther in law after he first got his new Freelander 2, he was busy telling me how it couldn't skid on ice as it had a snow mode.

While the electronics are good, they are not that good and in ice you will slide.

Where I live its 2 miles before I reach a road with would be gritted, single track country road in snow you can't even tell where the road stops and the verge starts. I found last a few years ago if I was careful I could do the whole trip without using the brakes just pure engine braking, yes it takes a little longer but at least i get there.

AS has been said some people do stupid things and should no better but if you hit black ice or *** to that a sudden fog bank bad things can happen and none need be to blame stuff happens you can drive like an old lady being very slow and careful but there is always the fool who will end up plowing in to you there is nothing that you can do about that.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I went fishing early Sunday morning. Going along a major A road I pulled out to pass a slower car and after I passed it I noticed the dog, who was in the boot, overtaking me. Steered into it 4 or 5 times before eventually sliding off the side of the road onto a thankfully benign grassy bank. Grand Cherokee 4WD did nothing to help me. Gets the pulse going! The car temp gauge said 38 degrees, there was a frost, but no warning whatsoever of the black ice. First time in nearly 30 years driving I've been caught out like that.

I don't even have any jewellery!

I love the posh 4X4 squad. I watched a guy leave the office in his brand new BMW 4X4 expecting to just drive through the snow like it wasn't there.... fail!

I can only guess what the BMW salesman told him... "Well sir, this car can travel through 6metre deep mud, snow, water up to your roof, possibly the surface of Mars"...

Idiots.

My favourite is when idiots over take in the snow where there is a little bank of now in the middle of the road. Saw a chap in an astra do that a few years ago, as soon as he pulled level I backed off and told the Mrs to watch what happens, sure enough he spins out when 're crossing the road.

Everyone else was happy at 20mph but clearly he had to be somewhere in a hurry.