Think I've lost that permission then...

spandit

A few months ago, before I'd even got my FAC, I met one of our new neighbours. He seemed pleasant enough and we chatted over the fence at the top of our paddock. He said that I could shoot on his field once I got my licence.

As a result, just before Christmas, I hopped over the fence to put a card through their door with an invitation to a "meet the new neighbours" party. We never got an RSVP and they didn't show up.

This evening, as I was walking the dogs by torchlight, I stopped to clear some brambles that had been setting off my new trail camera, when a voice said "Hello" from the other side of the fence. I quickly established it was the young lad who lived there and despite him making it a bit more complicated than it ought to have been, I ascertained that he lived there with his mother and her partner, who was the chap I'd already met.

There were two other torches behind him and presently one came forward. Didn't introduce herself but it was apparent she was the mother of said lad (and partner of said chap). One of my dogs, who is a very friendly and non-threatening sprocker bitch, poked her nose through the stock fencing to extend a greeting. I remarked that she was well acquainted with there land as she had been under the fence a few times, being an escapologist. The woman then proceeded to tell me that if she caught her over there again she'd be "left in no doubt she wasn't allowed in there". I didn't really like the tone and she muttered something about my dog going in the water and chasing the ducks (which is why I need a new shotgun as mine isn't steel proofed :D). She then said that I wasn't to climb over the fence again (it's a sagging stock fence, not some tall wooden structure) but if I wanted to contact them again, to go to the gate and ring the bell. Now, to hope over the fence takes about 5 minutes. To walk around to their gate is a mile. I appreciate that they don't want hordes of people flooding over the fence but an immediate neighbour delivering a Christmas greeting?

Suffice to say, I didn't warm to the ghastly old harridan and won't be sending any more cards/invitations their way. I think my chances of securing a permission in their field is now pretty slim, although it was the convenience that attracted me, I'm not going to walk a mile with a rifle to do them a favour. If I could afford it, I'd erect the tallest, ugliest fence along that border that I could... :D :D

People can be very touchy when it comes to fences and boundaries and especially at night!

It's always best to get on with your neighbours if you can so keep the invites comming. They may actually turn out to be decent people, but if they are a-holes then at least you haven't given them a reason to make life difficult.

My paddock backs onto farmland, the hedge on the boundary is gappy to say the least so we were dipping through there to get to the adjacent footpath which avoided going right round the front of the house and along the road with the dogs. The lady who owns the land had a moan, which I accepted. Later I approached her with my plans to replace derelict buildings on my land with a nice new 52' long wooden shed, I needed to site it closer to the boundary than I really should have to keep the access to the rest of the land via the drive at the front of the buildings. She was fine with that, accepting that it would tidy things up and cause her no disadvantage.

If one starts to use an access to someone else's property and it goes unchallenged eventually a right of way can be claimed. Maybe the OPs neighbour was concerned about that. Some people are just a bit up themselves when it comes to owning a bit of land, I'd try to be reasonable rather than provoke to be honest, see how it goes.

I wouldn't want my neighbour's dog on my property, once or twice fine, repeatedly not so. I also wouldn't want a neighbour taking a shortcut, whether I knew them or not. She might not be nice but I don't think she's been unreasonable.

I don't think she's been in there more than two or three times. I have patched the fence up but it's quite long and old so she does keep finding new holes.

It was more the tone she used that ****** me off. Perhaps I thought as a new neighbour she might at least welcome me. I hope she likes the smell of pig **** as there are a lot of brambles up there that need clearing :D

If one starts to use an access to someone else's property and it goes unchallenged eventually a right of way can be claimed. Maybe the OPs neighbour was concerned about that. Some people are just a bit up themselves when it comes to owning a bit of land, I'd try to be reasonable rather than provoke to be honest, see how it goes.

I'm guessing it's more the latter than the former. I've no wish to claim a right of way to their front door.

Just venting at the moment, I'll calm down in a day or two ;)

Where I shoot he offered to shoot a neighbours dog if it ever stepped on his land again.

I see both sides but trust me she's not that bad compared to mine lol

Just unfriended someone on Facebook for claiming he'd kill my dog if she chased his ducks. I don't think it's legal to shoot a dog if it's not worrying livestock

Is she not right to be unhappy?

A dog she don't know owned by someone she don't know keeps coming in her garden and chasing the ducks off her pond.

When she meets the owner of the dog instead of an apology she's told the dog knows her land and keeps escaping showing the owner has no control of the dog or concern as to what it gets up to.

Turns out the dog is owned by someone that hops over their fence when he feels like it.

So would I have been ok to shoot all the bloody fox hounds that invaded my paddock and garden pond last year? I think it has to be shown that they are worrying stock before they can be lawfully shot?

Is she not right to be unhappy?A dog she don't know owned by someone she don't know keeps coming in her garden and chasing the ducks off her pond.When she meets the owner of the dog instead of an apology she's told the dog knows her land and keeps escaping showing the owner has no control of the dog or concern as to what it gets up to.Turns out the dog is owned by someone that hops over their fence when he feels like it.

When you put it like that it makes you wonder if the wrong person was applying for the FAC! LOL

Is she not right to be unhappy?A dog she don't know owned by someone she don't know keeps coming in her garden and chasing the ducks off her pond.When she meets the owner of the dog instead of an apology she's told the dog knows her land and keeps escaping showing the owner has no control of the dog or concern as to what it gets up to.Turns out the dog is owned by someone that hops over their fence when he feels like it.

I did apologise, I'm sorry for not recording the conversation but I take your point. I went over their fence once to post a Christmas card, not "when I feel like it". As mentioned, their drive is a mile away and until tonight I didn't know the name of their house so didn't know which one it was anyway.

I look forward to seeing you on Crufts if you're not at the Vatican receiving your sainthood

I don't think she was unreasonable at all, you've basically trespassed, admitted to your dog worrying her ducks and then told us your after a steel shot proofed gun to shoot her ducks knowing you've got no chance of her granting permission further blotting your coffee book. I wouldn't want you on my land. no offence.

I don't think she was unreasonable at all, you've basically trespassed, admitted to your dog worrying her ducks and then told us your after a steel shot proofed gun to shoot her ducks knowing you've got no chance of her granting permission further blotting your coffee book. I wouldn't want you on my land. no offence.

They're wild ducks that sometimes land on her pond. She expressed concern that my dog might worry them, which she's never done - she just likes exploring. You obviously don't get my sense of humour regarding shooting them ;)

Some other neighbours climbed over our fence recently to retrieve an errant dog. We helped them look for it and never threatened to harm it. It never crossed my mind to be an **** about it

Sorry I must have miss read the bit about dogs worrying ducks, and it's hard to read humour I assumed you meant you was gonna shoot them on the sly.

I'd still be pee'd at a neighbour jumping my fence to save himself some time and been unapologetic about his dog running over my land.

admittedly I'd not threaten to harm it but would tell you to either tether it or sort your fence. If it kept happening though I'd hand the dog in as a stray to a local rescue center.

I'd rather not.You'll only climb my fence with your unruly dog to deliver it

She'd dig under but you're right, I'd hop over

Sorry I must have miss read the bit about dogs worrying ducks, and it's hard to read humour I assumed you meant you was gonna shoot them on the sly.

They sometimes fly over my land, I wouldn't sneak in and blast them off the water... then again, if anyone has a punt gun they can lend me... :D

Is the fence your responsibility or theirs?

It's down to the dog owner to keep their dog in their own property.

Back to the OP - I think Ms Snooty should've at least RSVPd to your invitation. I'm not sure how I'd feel about a neighbour popping over the fence, but I think I'd be a bit more tactful about it on first meeting with you. I'd not be impressed with your dog in my property.

Hope you manage to sort it all out :)