Percentages This Season

malantone

After a 48% return last season 12/13, this year is looking dismal 20% with one day to go, we are only a small shoot on 300 acres, we haven`t done anything different this year to what we did last, the only difference has been the weather, its been so mild our birds seem to have left the wood.

how have the rest of you faired? it will be interesting to know.

Our avererage is far better on both my shoots this year, I don't know what birds you have on your shoot. On ours we changed to Kansas Bluebacks. The difference is very noticeable.

Stil lots of birds about (despite a good dose of poaching) and we have found that these birds stay at home far more than others we have tried. I'm not teaching you to suck eggs, but do a bit of research and see what you come up with!

If your birds are not set in stone, it might be woth a try ( my opinion only)... Kansas do tend to be slightly smaller, and fly slightly quicker.

Good luck in future whatever you do.

Kansas had the worse reputation for straying when they first appeared on the scene.

Can only comment on what HAS happened on our shoots, not hearsay or rumour. We have more birds around now than former years

and our daily numbers are up. Perhaps we have been lucky this year (who knows)? The facts don't lie and I said to the op to do some research.

We had our last formal shoot last Saturday.

Pheasants returned 41% which is the best that we've achieved; ducks only managed 20%, but we had issues with preditors.

We had a cover crop for the first time; several additional feeders and mild weather coupled with more ground cover thanks to the woods being fenced off a couple of years ago.

There is a mop up shoot on Saturday; sadly I can't attend as I've broken the quadbike and had no time to fix it. Hopefully the lads will manage a few more and we may achieve 42%.

An excellent result for a small DIY keepered shoot.

webber

Sorry guys my last post sounded snotty, didn't mean it to!

as Kes says it's the Mitchigans that wander, the Kansas are known to stay at home.

Google Kansas Blueback and read some posts. They really have stayed on our shoots

ATB

Edited by tonker

48% this season so far with the beaters day to go should be in low 50% by end of Saturday, not to bad for a wet mild season but I will be glad to see the end this year. we normally have a massive influx of birds in to the woods if we get a cold period as they are full of brambles and we straw and feed the rides very heavy but not this year the birds are all over the place.

We are only a very small syndicate, the birds are put out to give us (family & friends) somewhere to go every Saturday to work the dogs, have a shot & have some craic.

Anyway we put out 82 poults & shot 41, so exactly 50%.

We ended up taking 30 foxes off the shoot this year, between lamping & snaring. This is a good return for such a small shoot.

A walk around on Saturday by three of us accounted for another 7 cock pheasants, hens were left, this put us to 38%. 115 total from 300 released. If I cheated and included the few pheasants we shot in a 'satellite' wood a few miles away from the main shoot and where we do not release the return would be 45%.

Partridges were down to 11%, 9 shot from 80 Redlegs lol. None held at all in our cover strip where they were released, 60 disappeared for good a few weeks after release but 20 took a liking to a couple of feeders in a hedge bottom and it was that one covey which gave us a bit variety in the bag through the season.