Heating Air Rifle Barrel

Cannon

Just wondering what possible damage could occur from heating up an air rifle barrel to remove a stuck pellet. Seen one today that this had been done to and the heat had removed some of the bluing. What's the chances this has had an adverse effect on the rifles accuracy? Rifle in question was a HW-100 PCP in .22.

Got to be other ways to 'rod' or hand drill the pellet out,after all it's only a piece of lead. Heating barrel would never enter my head to remove a stuck pellet.

As it's already been done test firing at a target is the only way to test its accuracy.

Edited by Good shot?

Probably a bad idea to heat it. It would probably work well enough, however I'd be nervous of warping the rifling down the barrel. Once that happens the rifle's going to completely lose its accuracy. That's just based on instinct though, i've not actually found out the hard way! I'd stick to the normal methods of removing a stuck pellet.

Just wondering what possible damage could occur from heating up an air rifle barrel to remove a stuck pellet. Seen one today that this had been done to and the heat had removed some of the bluing. What's the chances this has had an adverse effect on the rifles accuracy? Rifle in question was a HW-100 PCP in .22.

Well, you have already answered some yourself, bluing lost apparently, depending on the level of temperature and the way it was applied then the barrel could be fubared!

Have done this often,when other methods failed, I mean 20/30 pellets stuck, it might alter your blueing a little, but never had a accuracy problem, measure from both ends to determine where stuck ( if possible) and blow lamp area with barrel tipped nearly vertical.

Or use a rod with screw attachment to pull them out. John

Years ago when I did a lot of air gun repairs ,when all else failed I have resorted to heat . Heat gently and evenly with a large nozzle gas torch over a larger area than the blockage push out with a rod and allow to cool slowly. Never had a problem . After all sight blocks and swivels are brazed on as were barrel lugs on air guns and .22LR's

Edited by Gunman