weather

islandgun

Watching the news and the horrendous weather around the country I wondered how people are fairing, especially along the Thames, (i know deker is next to the river) and with gales force 12 forecast in Cornwall and Wales coupled with big tides and heavy rain well it looks like a disaster zone.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thames valley flooding will hit it's peak Sunday/Monday I reckon, once that plug of water that's falling now in the catchment gets down to here in Staines.

After it peaks on Friday night/Saturday morning, XC Weather is saying that there's some respite lasting into the middle of next week at least.

I work just out the town centre on the A30. It's a site to behold.

I was at work driving around Staines, Chertsey and Walton areas yesterday.

It does indeed look like something out of a disaster movie.

You can't fight nature.

I will check today again but the Thames was at its peak in the area between Wargrave and Maidenhead on 10.2.14, yesterday that whole area had gone down around 2" (50mm).

Major flooding in the area still and many properties effected, I was talking to a farmer in Wargrave on Mon who had been there since 1973 and he said he had never seen it this bad!

It is truly incredible and I have many photos but so much of the country is hit. It's bad enough for me, but at least my house is secure from the floods, not the gales though, in common with many I have lost a lot of fence!

Edited by Dekers

Few flurries of snow yesterday but nothing too much...windy and wet at the minute.
Big fishing match planned here in the Estuary on Sunday...it looks like the only decent day for the rest of the week according to the forecast.

Be nice to get out and forget the rubbish we have had over the past few weeks although I won't hold my breath.

Hope the rain stays away for you lads down south....I am at risk from flooding here but only on big tides with the right wind when theres a chance the sea defences could be breached.

Last time it happened to houses here was 1979 although the docks and some surrounding areas did flood a few weeks back.

I was flooded out on 3rd of January. It doesn't look like I'll ever be going back, but my problems are nothing compared to what people are suffering in Somerset and the Thames valley. I lost a home but not my property, my possessions or my livelihood. Its a huge blow but there are people far worse off and they have my sympathy. I know what it feels like.

I was flooded out on 3rd of January. It doesn't look like I'll ever be going back, but my problems are nothing compared to what people are suffering in Somerset and the Thames valley. I lost a home but not my property, my possessions or my livelihood. Its a huge blow but there are people far worse off and they have my sympathy. I know what it feels like.

That Post concentrated my mind. I'm very sorry to hear that. But with your attitude which is nothing less than outstanding, I'm sure you'll make a full recovery in good time. I truly hope that it all works out as you and yours would wish.

There was a chap on the news last night - a professor from some university - who said this flooding could last for months. The ground is so saturated, that even minimal amounts of rain will stay put.

If you are on the ground anywhere close to flood areas you don't need a professor to tell you that. :no::good:

Exactly, had 4 sump pumps running 24/7 since 27th Dec. to keep the lower ground car park in the building I manage from flooding, well it has flooded 5 times during that period to a depth of 10 inches at it's deepest. Clear now apart from an inch of water along the centre gulley.

If you are on the ground anywhere close to flood areas you don't need a professor to tell you that. :no::good:

I think the point is that flooding in the past has dissipated fairly quickly - and you should not expect that now.

Bit of a throw away line of mine but it remains that anyone close to the floods is very well aware the ground it totally saturated and taking in next to nothing! :yes::good:

That Post concentrated my mind. I'm very sorry to hear that. But with your attitude which is nothing less than outstanding, I'm sure you'll make a full recovery in good time. I truly hope that it all works out as you and yours would wish.

Well said both, The footage of the Thames is amazing and as mentioned lets hope the water drops soon, more bad news is that some of the biggest spring tides of the year are due March 1st we don't need gales from any direction!

Bit of a throw away line of mine but it remains that anyone close to the floods is very well aware the ground it totally saturated and taking in next to nothing! :yes::good:

I'm assuming you read the article I linked to?

It's not a matter of taking it - it is a matter of contributing to the problem. Groundwater levels and pressures are so high now that even if it stops raining for the next month, groundwater will be contributing to continued flooding and rising river levels.

Exactly, had 4 sump pumps running 24/7 since 27th Dec. to keep the lower ground car park in the building I manage from flooding, well it has flooded 5 times during that period to a depth of 10 inches at it's deepest. Clear now apart from an inch of water along the centre gulley.

This is a serious question,where can you pump water to when you are flooded?