• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better still, buy my Rocky Mountain Full Susser :good:

Only 20 mile away.

Or my Scott Carbon :)

LOL - I expect the Carbon to be slightly over budget. :lol:

I've had Specialized hard tails since 1989 when they had rigid front forks and U-brakes. Now I have one with disc brakes and lovely Fox forks.

If you are looking for a fitness bike to get into things gently then the advice given on here is ideal. 2nd hand hardtail and you don't need to spend a fortune.

As a Spesh user, the Hardrock is a great entry level bike, the Rockhopper is superb (I've had 2) but now I'm on a Stumpjumper but TBH can't really tell the difference (Ok - maybe a bit more agile) :)

Like you said - go get measured in a decent bike shop and stay away from buying new - particularly from those that we shall not speak about.

Happy shopping.

As already stated get a named bike they tend to bet better put together. If you but second hand you will get more for your money with better spec bits. Try to buy one with disc brakes, it's easier to upgrade later if it already has them

I started my mountain bike days on a Cheap bike, had nothing but problems with it and the riding position was terrible, I then bought a second hand gt avalanche which I upgraded enjoyed many years with it, sold it better equip than I bought it and then bought my current bike, a Santa Cruz chameleon, hard tail, fully custom built and a fantastic bike,

I am starting to want a full Susser now however I had not properly rode for a few years. Just getting back into it really

• 2 months later...

so tomorrow is the day i go get my new bike,and iv got it down to 3 i like.cpmp pro

whyte 529 hard tail 29er £800

specialized carve comp 29er £900

specialized carve comp pro 29er £1300

id like the comp pro buy its not cheap, and i do like the whyte.

what do you guys think??

thanks, Lee

Edited by viking

I've owned a Whyte carbon 29c for about 18months and it's been the best bike I've ever ridden. Whytes are less common than specialized. Although the specializeds will generally have better componentry pound for pound than the whyte. Have a ride on all three, note which feels lightest to ride, big 29inch wheels can be heavy and rolling weight will make a bigger difference to the ride than over weight, it's an area where money was saved on my whyte, they were the first thing I changed and made a huge difference to the ride and handling.

Whytes have long top tubes with short stems which make them stable and fast handling. The specialized will be more neutral and you might find it easier to get on with.

For that money I'd go for carve comp. it's likely to be lighter than the whyte and better specced for the price. Plus if you really get into it and want to upgrade or don't like it and want to get rid it will be easier to sell on.

In the meantime here's a pic of my 29c. Far more bike than I'm capable of using, like my guns really ;-)

Let us know which one you go for.post-33543-0-26351300-1397856992_thumb.jpg

Classic marin if it was my money. I love perving at bikes that cost a grand when i were a lad (and my reading list consisted purely of marin and kays catalogues ) on ebay - they go for less than thousand cartidges!!!!!

I've got an old 'klein pulse comp' bike.................would this be allowed on your purve list? :)

over the years I've spent a small fortune on Mountain bikes. if i were looking at spending £500 on a bike id be looking at the second hand market as others have already said. my advice would be to not get a full suspension bike at that price as it would be false economy. look instead at a hard tail with better and lighter components. only get disc brakes if they are hydraulic and stick to a 26" wheel size.

just my 10 pence worth but hope it helps.

over the years I've spent a small fortune on Mountain bikes. if i were looking at spending £500 on a bike id be looking at the second hand market as others have already said. my advice would be to not get a full suspension bike at that price as it would be false economy. look instead at a hard tail with better and lighter components. only get disc brakes if they are hydraulic and stick to a 26" wheel size.

just my 10 pence worth but hope it helps.

why 26" wheels