what tree ?

holly

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a couple of photos I took earlier of trees I felled last week. One shows a distinct likeness to the log on post 56 ...one is European Ash. One is Sycamore...Question is which is which...? :lol:

I know and I'm 100% sure which is which but I'm not telling until there's been a few guesses. :lol::lol::devil:

An no I'm not dicking around they are not both the same. :lol:

Top sycamore, bottom ash?

:lol: The top picture with my foot in it is a piece of Sycamore which was growing close to the house . The bottom one is Ash which was growing into a dry stone wall house and dropping its distinctive bunches of seeds on the lawn every year. Just to confuse the issue even further the lower log in the second picture is a Sycamore branch taken from a smaller tree right next to the Ash. :lol:

Coincidently the Pigeons used to spend hours in the ash tree devouring the seeds each autumn, but they never touched the sycamore.

So top Sycamore, bottom Ash.......Prizes on there way.... Are we any further forwards with the original identification. ? :lol::lol:

Mind you another branch off the bigger sycamore tree was almost white not unlike ash...so its very difficult to tell. :yes:

I'm guessing but I am saying 1st one is ash because the grain looks similar to what is used to make hurleys here in Ireland.process of elimination would make the second sycamore.

Hi Ollie

Is the ash die back going to cause a crisis with the manufacture of hurley sticks.

Forest Service [DARD] have made us remove all our saplings saying it will save the older ones, but that has not worked in Denmark or County Leitrim either.....

I'm guessing but I am saying 1st one is ash because the grain looks similar to what is used to make hurleys here in Ireland.process of elimination would make the second sycamore.

Hi Ollie

Is the ash die back going to cause a crisis with the manufacture of hurley sticks.

Forest Service [DARD] have made us remove all our saplings saying it will save the older ones, but that has not worked in Denmark or County Leitrim either.....

I don't know mate,I'm in no way qualified to speak about it😳. Nothing like the clash of the ash in hurling so hopefully it will remain the case for years to come.

:lol: The top picture with my foot in it is a piece of Sycamore which was growing close to the house . The bottom one is Ash which was growing into a dry stone wall house and dropping its distinctive bunches of seeds on the lawn every year. Just to confuse the issue even further the lower log in the second picture is a Sycamore branch taken from a smaller tree right next to the Ash. :lol:

Coincidently the Pigeons used to spend hours in the ash tree devouring the seeds each autumn, but they never touched the sycamore.

So top Sycamore, bottom Ash.......Prizes on there way.... Are we any further forwards with the original identification. ? :lol::lol:

Mind you another branch off the bigger sycamore tree was almost white not unlike ash...so its very difficult to tell. :yes:

Not that hard for those who see it often with good pictures like yours