what size of stove

billytheghillie

I'd be cautious about ordering online without having a suitably qualified heating engineer review plans and specify accordingly. I've seen a good few DIY projects totally fail and end up having to be fixed/replaced at considerably more cost. Just commenting with my work hat on but would be ashame to end up with a problem. All the best

I sell stoves for a living,

Good advice already posted here about how many rads etc. a 600mm x 1000mm single rad will want about 1kw. Don't forget heat losses in the pipework and DHW requirements.

To run 6 decent double rads + DHW look for about 16kw-20kw to the water.

Then you need to look at heat requirements of the room where the stove is located, work out the VOLUME of the room in cubic meters ( roughly), divide by 12 for poor insulation, 14 for average and 16 for good insulation.

So now you have 2 figures, heat output to the room (needs adhering to fairly closely ) and a desired heat output to the water. All you need to do now is find a stove that the wife likes the look of and allows and one that has the performance you desire. You may have to compromise a bit !!.

You may not have considered that you may looking at a big stove with an overall heat output of 20-30kw, that will go through around 10 cubic meters of logs a winter, maybe more depending on how you use it. So get your fuel supply chain in place and costed up and work out where you are going to store at least 2 cubic meters of logs in the dry before you go to far along this road. Quality firewood in not cheap as timber is sold by auction prices are rising all the time. But things are somewhat easier is Scotland as there was a lot of timber planted there in the late 60s under a govt tax avoidance scheme.

Get that sorted, then get a good plumber in, ideally one tied up with a local Hetas engineer who can install the stove and flue system and sign it off as safe to use, that is a legal requirement, get teh installer to supply the flue components. There is an awful lot of **** products on the web, we wont touch any of them as the installer is legally liable if they fail.

Stove brands to look at,

Arada Stratford Eco boiler and the new Villager boiler stove ranges.

Morso DB15 and Dove,

Boru 20kw and 30kw.

Broseley Hercules

Charnwood

Stovax

I sell all the above and are recommended, do NOT buy a cheap chinese stove, life is usually 3 - 5 years and you will find it almost impossible to get any replacement parts if and when needed.

Pm me if you want any more details.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Firstly look very seriously at a thermal store and batch burning. Burning solid fuels means varying heat output and this lends better to be more effective through a store via batch burning,

Now consider I have a 10kw stove but only rarely will I stoke it up to that, it then will not run those rads to temp if they required 10kw total, again this points to a store, basically the store works like a big battery to run your heating and the stove is just a charger. the outcome of the stove running a 5kw is luke warm rads doing very little

Like others have said work out the room requirements for heat (not as straight forward as you think as you need to consider insulation factors) then the rads required in each space and then the total KW draw. To be fair there are numerous different calcs but a good amount of experience is also needed to make the final call

remember if your stove uses its output to heat the more efficient thermal store or straight through a std old fashioned vented system you wont also get that input into the area as direct appliance heat for space heating. For this reason I think stoves poor over a solid fuel boiler with only one purpose

Thermal stores can also take heat from multiple sources so you can couple up all sorts of other things, solar, heat pumps, oil and gas etc

Just to give you an idea of amounts

These are my wood store's, (2 you can't see) there's approx 8.5 m3 of logs.

So far this winter I've burnt 3 1/2 m3 of logs, and 40 bags of coal, (coal for mainly night time burning)

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m632/BrianS91/744F42C7-5F8C-418E-A87E-BA6DC0994BEB-7278-000009CE27788002_zps240ecb78.jpg

Edited by The Croc

I must be very lucky

My herald 8kw is more than capable of heating 5 rads, 2 of which are large double rads and 1 is a fancy large towel rad, plus hot water tank in my mid terraced cottage

Not really only two external walls (most likely small windows in the other two exposed walls) Total volume? Heck when I had a mid terrace cottage I could have more than heated it with just an 8kw stove without the rads (couldn't heat the water in summer without cooking in the heat though)