removing paint

cliff 87

Hi again,

I have a air arms s410 and it as been sprayed a couple of times know and I would like to restore it. The barrel is all chipped and looks a right mess what would be the best method to remove the paint with out marking the barrel. I would like to do the stock as well as that's been sprayed black.

I would go with a paint remover, it doesnt need to be too aggresive. i would not use sand paper wet and dry whatever grit on a barrel unless you intend to have it re-blued.

You could try a heat gun on the barrel but again not tooooo aggresive, Rushing may only ruin it

Depends how much paint is on it - you say that it is chipped?

Does it feel like a couple of coats of spray paint or a good ole coat brushed on?

Are you planning to refurb the barrel with paint or have it blued?

Bit more info needed really.

My job is prep and paint on all sorts of substrates.

Any idea on the paint?

you might just get away with thinners or acetone. wrap the barrel with kitchen towel and then soak it with thinners, put a bag tightly over the top so it doesnt evaporate to quickly.

leave a few hours and test a patch, once it starts to move then scrap off.

Scotchbite pad will finish it but i would start with the green pot pad first, if not then the purple will cut it back.

you will need a bright polished finish for a bluing, anything less will look a mess.

you could always strip paint and then black paint it. ask your local car body shop for a price for a two pack spray. Ok, its not Duracoat or Cerakote but easier than bluing.

If blueing then as others have said - avoid being too aggressive with wet and dry.

Also be careful of what people call 'scotch' pads (proper name - non woven abrasive) when using with thinners or the like.

Green ones are rated around P320 grit

Red ones around P360

Grey ones around P1500

They use the same abrasive as wet and dry (silicon carbide) on them - very good for the correct job.

I'd go with paint thinners or stripper and see what's underneath and hiding.

Best bet, sand blast the metals then Cerakote, pearl blast the wood then Duracote

Cerakote is very hard to get your hands on over here, as im finding out.

Duracoat would be my thoughts too.

to get someone to paint a whole rifle would be £150+. to buy Duracoat and have a go your self would be £32

If someone knows where i can get a mall amount of Cerakote in graphite black, H-146, then PM me PLEASE. i can get from over the pond for $35 but the postage and paper work is not good. lots of small fiddly parts i need to do and dont want to pay someone to do what i can do.

If you are now painting and not blueing it then sand it smooth, finish it around P800 - P1000 grit.

Apply some sort of etch primer - 1k PVB is good, you can buy in aerosol and it has reasonable build compared to a wash primer.

Give it an hour or so then a light flat with P1200 paper - dry will be fine and will avoid trapping any moisture.

Then apply some black paint - Matt, semi, gloss - whatever you want.

A good aerosol black is called Hard Hat - worth shopping around for.

Personally, I would avoid using a spray gun - more hassle than its worth and you will probably end up overloading it.