New gun ruined, well....devalued a tad.

Danoi99

Yes, I dropped my lovely Wingmaster and the stock has seen better days. It now sports 2 lovely deep gouges in the side.

It has the High Gloss lacquer finish but that is chipped quite bad, luckily the wood underneath is relatively unharmed. I fancy getting it stripped and given an oiled/ matt finish.

Anyone know how much this work is likely to cost me? I live in the Bristol area FYI

Thanks

Hi Dan0i99.. Try UK gun repairs, their web site is http://www.####.co.uk/ give Dennis a call, the numbers on the web site.. They are not too far from you, near Wellington, Somerset.

They are excellent and if anyone can sort your stock out they will..

I have used their services a fair bit recently and they have been 100%, prices are ok.. Dennis will give you a quote once he has seen the gun.

Dave

Can you post some pics of the damage ?

Oh Willpoon !!! If I posted the pics, the sharp intake of breath might bend your front teeth in. :lol::lol: But I will try and get round to it mate. Although there is one problem, I have a Canon D500 which will take a cracking shot. But the file size is way too big to upload here.............I am a computer dunce to be honest, any advice?

Oh Willpoon !!! If I posted the pics, the sharp intake of breath might bend your front teeth in. :lol::lol: But I will try and get round to it mate. Although there is one problem, I have a Canon D500 which will take a cracking shot. But the file size is way too big to upload here.............I am a computer dunce to be honest, any advice?

Just use Microsoft picture editor and "compress for webpages" needs to be 300kb or less or post it on a different photo hosting site and post a link here

Man o Man !! I just had a look at the Uk Gun repairs website !!! They do some lovely stuff there and no mistake. I would feel ashamed to turn up with my Wingmaster after seeing all those pics of Best London Hand oiled Walnut stocks. Walking in with my mass produced, sprayed on lacquer, pump action pigeon slayer !!!! :ninja:

Can't be much more embarrassing than shooting sporting clays with it though. :lol::lol::lol:

Man o Man !! I just had a look at the Uk Gun repairs website !!! They do some lovely stuff there and no mistake. I would feel ashamed to turn up with my Wingmaster after seeing all those pics of Best London Hand oiled Walnut stocks. Walking in with my mass produced, sprayed on lacquer, pump action pigeon slayer !!!! :ninja:

Can't be much more embarrassing than shooting sporting clays with it though. :lol::lol::lol:

I agree with HDAV, Dennis and the guys are not snobbish at all.. They work on all gun and rifle types... it doesnt seem to matter what you shoot, they will treat you honestly and do a great job.. Cant say more than that. They have my trust and my guns to look after.

I would give them a call, if no one picks up and you leave a message they will phone you back.

Dave

Straightshooter1 does very good work on stock repairs and is extremely good value for money. He repaired and refinished a stock for me and the work was spot on. There was a thread on here somewhere with pictures of his repair work if you want to check it out. Send him a pm for more info.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/user/10585-straightshooter1/

Don't fuss about the high end guns someone works on, I used to visit an old guy who had best London guns laid next to a farmers old tractor gun etc. Most jobbing gunsmiths would end up very poor if they only worked at the top end (and very few private clients as most of the nice stuff is sent by the trade and then marked up again when it lands back at the shop LOL)

Thanks for all the advice/ comments. I am gonna get the gun returned to its former glory at some stage. Saving for a deposit at the moment so it will have to wait.

Anyway, here's the pics of the gouges ( pics don't give it justice, the gouges are deeper than they look in the pics). Finally got to grips with Photobucket !!!

Breech_zps94a94464.jpg

Here's my pride and joy.

PrideandJoy_zpscb107a1a.jpg

Here's some shots of the damage. They are deeper then they look to be honest.

Bladescalepic_zps043864b3.jpg

Closeupscratch_zps58bd2c0d.jpg

Stockscratch_zpsc34c2f71.jpg

And just because I can...........here's a shot of my Hammergun.

HammergunBest_zpse249674b.jpg

Sorry about the pics vanishing. I had moved them to an album so the links changed...........still a dunce! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Danoi99

I can see you're proud of the wingmaster, but it's a field gun, what if you get it re-finished and drop it again ? Or bang it on a hide pole, scratch it on a wire fence etc.

Perhaps a DIY fix with the coloured wax used for furniture would do the trick and spend the money on shells or chokes.

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/wax-filler-sticks?gclid=CNqBrMO4-LwCFUsUwwod4ioA1g

Just suggesting an alternative.