17 hmr

nderfel

Quick question. I and two friends shoot together and I am tempted to go for a 17 hmr over the good old 22 lr that they use. They are raising grumpy concerns that whilst they plink away with subsonic ammo as soon as I let rip with the 17 it's going to scare all the bunnies away.

Do they have a valid gripe or will the bunnies hang about and let us carry on picking them off?

Cheers

Nick

17 does make more noise for sure but you will be able the shoot out to 150 yards with out to much trouble...22 is great at what it does and to be honest if you shooting out to 100 yards 22 will do plus almost silent and ammunition is half the price...will the bunnies spook once they get the idea that the super sonic crack is bad for them they will be off......

I've never had a problem past @80yrds I think the crack does not make a lot of difference to ground game, several times I

have shot 4 rabbits out of a group sitting in a 10yrd area. I think if the bullet placement is right they just sit there

thinking oh what's up with me mate, very little thrashing about just whack roll over.

If you shoot an area too hard the rabbits will learn to identify the threat and be become gun-shy whatever calibre you're using. The best approach is to have all the tools in the chest at your disposal and use them wisely. Don't get predictable. Rabbits are much smarter than they're given credit for.

I can't say I've noticed too much difference between the two and I use both. Quite often the thud of the 22 hitting a rabbit is enough to send the others off, but equally I've had it where they all sit still whilst I pick them off with the hmr. Best advice is above- get both!

I've got both and take out the 22 far more than the HMR. It's lighter, I've got a great little scope on it and I know what it (and I) can do. At the ranges I shoot (usually less than 150yds) I prefer it. And as people have said the ammo is a lot cheaper.

Just a personal preference but I don't personally believe the HMR is the panacea it was once purported to be. But I respect those for whom it's the no. 1 tool.

Stick with .22 subs then switch up to a Small centrefire in my opinion. The HMR is very windy, getting more and more expensive to feed each year and now gaining something of a history of faulty ammo. The terminals I found very unpredictable two seemingly identical shots one might be spectacular another disappointing. .22 if nothing else is very predictable. Mine was a tack driver and I hate selling such guns but I don't miss it one bit and its been gone a few years now

I use both .22lr and HMR. The .22 is dead quiet and often get two, or three rabbits at a sitting before they spook, another day, "thump" and the rest scatter. Same with the HMR. The crack often makes the others sit up ready for another shot. Maybe nderfel's mates don't want to be out gunned?

I had both and loved everything about the .22lr (Hard hitting, cheap, quiet) But hated the ricochetts and the loopy trajectory ! So I used the HMR which was lovely and flat shooting even if it was a bit noisey but I never had ricochett that I herd of, so I felt more confident and safe using it. the HMR also did a far better job I felt at close range fox.

I wouldnt worry about the HMR noise wise !

Have what you want.

I have less problems with my 17hmr than I did with my 22lr. They just seem to be confused with my 17hmr noise.

Paul

I've got both and agree with this, only my observations but in the places I shoot the thump of a 22 hitting a bunny bothers the others loads more than the crack of the hmr.