Making a Pneumatic Graver / Air Engraver

Wildfowler

This is a bit random but might be of interest to some of you...

I've always been amazed at the skill and artistry of engravers and love the look of scroll engraving in particular. I've never tried it but have been thinking about giving it a go for a while now. I plan to start building a double 8 bore some time this year and want the side plates to be hand engraved so I've started looking around for the tools so i can start getting some practice.

I know the traditional way is either push engraving (simply pushing the graver through the steel by hand) or by using a small hammer to tap the graver through, but push graving looks like I'd almost certainly end up impaling myself and I think using a hammer will take a lifetime to learn, gauging the strength of the hits, etc.

It would appear that most if not all the professionals now use pneumatic gravers, the favorites being the Airgraver by Lindsay or the GraverMach by GRS tools. Whilst both tools get great reviews and look like superb items, I didn't much like the price tag, especially as I'll only use it every so often! So i decided to make my own!

I spent last night sketching it up to get the principals of how it works straight in my head. Then I spent a few hours this morning drawing it up on AutoCAD so I've got a decent set of drawings to work from.

This afternoon I started machining the components. I started with the outer casing and the piston / hammer.

This is a picture of them so far. The diameters of the piston are 0.01mm smaller than the bore of the casing, this ensures it uses as little air as possible to run and minimises 'slap' of the piston. I included the vernier to give an idea of scale, but the small hole on the left is 1.5mm diameter.

Here is a quick video of the first test...

The second part, I had to put some tape on the end to avoid it blowing air into my finger. I put the bolt in the end to give the piston something to hit.

So far, so good. I'll try and get some more done next weekend, hopefully I'll get it finished!

Edited by Wildfowler

I spent some time yesterday finishing it off (the wood isn't very good but its all i have about at the moment, i'll replace it when i get some walnut for my gun stock)

And this is it testing the pedal (i'll make the actual pedal this week) and making the first few cuts. Seems to work ok?!?

I used some left over EN24T, it's tough and doesn't corrode as easily as normal mild steel. I've given it a light coat of lacquer too to make sure it doesn't corrode. (I wanted to use aluminium for the outer parts but I've run out! If it goes ok I'll make another one!)

Edited by Wildfowler

I used some left over EN24T, it's tough and doesn't corrode as easily as normal mild steel. I've given it a light coat of lacquer too to make sure it doesn't corrode. (I wanted to use aluminium for the outer parts but I've run out! If it goes ok I'll make another one!)

Looks the job anyway

I've done some but not finished yet. I promised the mrs I'd get the plans for the extension finished and submitted by the end of last month... Not quite managed that yet so that's got to be done before the 8 bore. I'll definitely get started this summer!

Theres always something eh

Should be good looking forward to see how your gonna engineer your next gun

:lol: engraving is REALLY difficult!!! I need to get some serious practice in!

Once I'm confident that I won't completely cock it up I'll probably start with engraving the 'makers name' on the punt gun. For the 8 bore I want to come up with a nice scroll design.

It's not going to be a quick process though!

Edited by Wildfowler

Thanks for the posts gents. Hope it interests some of you...

The 8 bore will hopefully have a bit more content!

The only thing you don't seem to do is grow the wood and make the steel

:lol: funnily enough the oak I used for the punt gun was actually cut from one of my trees and dried (originally for fire wood) but worked ok. I do really want to make some Damascus! I was thinking maybe a Damascus action or side plates... Maybe one day!

:lol: funnily enough the oak I used for the punt gun was actually cut from one of my trees and dried (originally for fire wood) but worked ok. I do really want to make some Damascus! I was thinking maybe a Damascus action or side plates... Maybe one day!

Come on Moderators he's making us all feel inadequate now ban him!!

Come on Moderators he's making us all feel inadequate now ban him!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: not intentionally!!!

Just projects I fancy giving a go, so as and when the time allows I do it. Hopefully it will inspire a thought or spark the imagination of some of you guys and maybe even get some young blood interested in engineering (something this country is lacking in as they don't seem to be valued! - not quite a bankers salary unfortunately!)