pigeon breast

den5008

pluck and gut the birds or skin them.....get a big saucepan and fry them off...then fill with water and simmer them for and hour or so......when cool pull all the meat off..disgard bones and cut up meat into pieces and put back into the stock...dish up with mixer for the dogs..............they luv it......dont forget to bring the "stew" to a boil everyday to stop it going off

pluck and gut the birds or skin them.....get a big saucepan and fry them off...then fill with water and simmer them for and hour or so......when cool pull all the meat off..disgard bones and cut up meat into pieces and put back into the stock...dish up with mixer for the dogs..............they luv it......dont forget to bring the "stew" to a boil everyday to stop it going off

And make sure you've got all the lead out. :sad1:

Just a though would it be ok to give my dog raw pigeon breast as sometimes I have shot more birds than I can have for myself?.

atb Den

i love pigeon breast , cooked in butter and garlic and herb salt , but then so do my dogs

but i dont feed it raw or you'll find your dogs devouring them rather than retrieving them

My lab gets raw pigeon but doesn't try and eat downed birds, just retrieves as expected. She won't get fed anything other than breast meat though so probably doesn't associate the meat with the feathered mouthful!

I am sure she does but they also know what they are supposed to do under these circumstances. My lab brought me a skinned pheasant leg not long back I had been breasting off a few birds and it must have landed outside the bin, to say he didn't know it was a nice bit of meat he was holding might be a bit silly and he can certainly eat

my whippet will eat any meat raw,especially rabbit and pigeon.

my border collie on the other hand wants it cooked,medium rare with balsamic dressing.

Bright dogs the Collies!

I have always cooked meat for the dog as chance that they associate raw meat with raw game and you end up with a dog eating game when they get a chance.

I usually save livers. hearts and any damaged breasts for the dog......chop, microwave for 2 mins, cool and add to dogs dinner or use as treats when training....dogs really respond better to training when getting "real meat" treats.

Just boiled some lamb necks up, don't want the dog worrying sheep LOL! Seriously they full well know that rabbits and birds are good to eat their nose tells them that one!

Here is one for you all, why do some dogs baulk at retrieving crows etc? I suspect because they aint food. My lab point blank refuses even when instructed he came back half way dropped one and cocked his leg on the last bird I practically forced him to pick. I suspect it was a message to his "nonose" that I hadn't to be eating no manky crow

I am sure she does but they also know what they are supposed to do under these circumstances. My lab brought me a skinned pheasant leg not long back I had been breasting off a few birds and it must have landed outside the bin, to say he didn't know it was a nice bit of meat he was holding might be a bit silly and he can certainly eat

You may be right, but she is a Labrador, and she'll eat every bloody thing else she can so why turn up a nice, warm pigeon when she gets the chance? Knowing her, she would give it a go if she thought there was the slightest chance of getting away with it!