shooting out 4 x4

babs2020

There was no mention of any quarry...just using a 4x4 and I will stick to my original statement.....whether it is a rabbit or a fox....

I was taught never to assume.....

TEH

My post was in answer to your question about why you might want to shoot from a vehicle.

My comment about assumption was simply because whilst the OP didnt mention a quarry type specifically, you did, but then only gave an examples where a vehicle wouldnt be needed.

EDIT: Also the reason given below - those with a lot of land to cover in a short period of time may have no choice.

Edited by Zapp

Pipe lagging on window is cheapest, wrap it in duct tape first then cut along the slot, as without the duct tape the window glass tends to work its way through quite quickly.

If you want to protect the door plastic too simply fix an old tea towel to one side so it drapes down over the door inner, although I'm not sure why you would be damaging the placcy by poking a rifle out of the window?

My post was in answer to your question about why you might want to shoot from a vehicle.

My comment about assumption was simply because whilst the OP didnt mention a quarry type specifically, you did, but then only gave an examples where a vehicle wouldnt be needed.

EDIT: Also the reason given below - those with a lot of land to cover in a short period of time may have no choice.

How other people manage their shooting is up to them, the large amount of land I shoot over is only driven on in the short period when the stubble is not being ripped up....I manage quite well walking with out the need for the use of a vehicle....

I have yet to see if there is prerequisite only to give one example of where a vehicle wouldn't be needed.....

As for covering land in a short period....well a bad plan is better than no plan at all....

TEH

How other people manage their shooting is up to them, the large amount of land I shoot over is only driven on in the short period when the stubble is not being ripped up....I manage quite well walking with out the need for the use of a vehicle....

I have yet to see if there is prerequisite only to give one example of where a vehicle wouldn't be needed.....

As for covering land in a short period....well a bad plan is better than no plan at all....

TEH

there is always a choice start earlier LooooL

yes guys defo need a new wife going to try to make something my fault for buying her a new shape vitara should have stuck to my old nissan trerrano never let me down get any were and was a 2001 model so did not mind it getting a bit bashed up and was a good shooting position but i am a bit low in seat in vitara as shooting from drivers side but thanks some good info

Far to much reliance on using a wagon to get your quarry.....as time goes on less and less land can be driven on with the steward ships, gates and barriers are getting the norm....then the fox nips through the hedge into the next field and you are stuffed...

On foot is far quieter and you can cut across a field jump the ditch and you are on the shot...

In our rough shooting, deer stalking, wild fowling, pigeon shooting, driven game, roost shooting we walk so why should you want to drive when lamping?

TEH

well put tim...

i also am 100% on foot weather im rabbit shooting foxing stalking what ever.. i think you miss far too much sitting in a truck quick flash and gone.. each to there own but its just not for me i like to be as quiet as possible.. plus far to many gates to open and some a padlocked anyway..

well put tim...

i also am 100% on foot weather im rabbit shooting foxing stalking what ever.. i think you miss far too much sitting in a truck quick flash and gone.. each to there own but its just not for me i like to be as quiet as possible.. plus far to many gates to open and some a padlocked anyway..

To be fair the majority of people an PW are shooting as a hobby but when it's your job and you have 10 000+ acres to try and look after a vehicle helps you cover a hell of a lot of ground. I do like to lamp as much as possible on foot but it's not always a viable option especially during the rearing season when time is at a premium.

well put tim...

It all depends on your ground, we do a fair bit from vehicles and having shot up to 10 in a night it must work. It lets me cover the ground without staying out all night

I have half a zimmer frame covered with pipe lagging one end sits on the mirror the other end hangs of the top of the door and is fixed with a bungee.

I don't have the luxury of walking my farms there are pros and cons to both methods but time dictates driving round most of the time.

I also have some magnet signs which stick to the bonnet and roof to stop bipod scratches.

Haha no still enjoying bombing around in it too much :-).

Last weekend I just used a pillow but wasn't quite high enough

hope you wasn't sat on the pillow lol sorry couldn't help it , glad to hear your enjoying it ,nice not to have to muck them out when the wife needs the car, mind you some of us are married lol