Time for a change I think

Will Poon

Get yourself down Marne tomorrow Auntie with your skeet chokes and have a go on the compact. I've changed the sporting layout from Sunday as well and have a different 60 birder set up.

I will be down in the afternoon after I have had Dad to hospital armed with my 3/4 chokes lol. :good: 110 entries on Sunday by the way!! :yahoo:

They were good birds on Sunday, can't make Wed this week but hoping to do the 30th of March. Hope Pops OK. from Auntie.

Did the different chokes and different shot size thing for a bit and it did my head in. If I missed I questioned the choke/shot size combo, was the barrel selector in the right place? Was I sure that was an 8, is the clay showing enough belly for that shot size etc. Knocked it on the head, switched to 1/2&1/2 and forgot about chokes. I always use the same cartridges (VIP sporting for fibre and Superbs for plastic) now when I miss I know it's me lol.

Edited by Trevorevans

Interesting you me ruin the barrel selector.......

I had the stock my new 1993 gun last week cleaned the mech out as it was sweating oil every time it got warm after a few carts. Put it back together checked it with snap caps all good, went to shoot Sunday had a couple of good lines at DTL... But first peg I really smoked the clay but the gun felt wrong... I looked down and saw an O... Was shooting top barrel first! I hadn't realised I was ejecting the top shell and reloading took at least 3 shots to figure it out.... Had my best line so far that 72 no second barrels! Still being foxed by a straight.....

Interesting you me ruin the barrel selector.......

I had the stock my new 1993 gun last week cleaned the mech out as it was sweating oil every time it got warm after a few carts. Put it back together checked it with snap caps all good, went to shoot Sunday had a couple of good lines at DTL... But first peg I really smoked the clay but the gun felt wrong... I looked down and saw an O... Was shooting top barrel first! I hadn't realised I was ejecting the top shell and reloading took at least 3 shots to figure it out.... Had my best line so far that 72 no second barrels! Still being foxed by a straight.....

HDAV are you after a 100 straight !

HDAV are you after a 100 straight !

Small steps..... I managed 22 without missing.....

If you consider the round before it was nigh on 40..... But that doesn't count :( better than last time I got to 22 without missing when I fluffed the last 3 birds....

I've just returned to clay shooting after a 25 year "rest" - I've bought a new Browning GP Trap 32" Multi Choke & have 2 x Muller U2's in it. I've also tried 2 x Teague 1/4 chokes that I also liked. I never did like tight chokes.

Back in the late 80's I used to shoot with a 26" Miroku O/U Choked 1/4 & 3/8 - with it I did 25 straight @ ABT & DTL - many 24's @ Skeet & would often straighten a stand where many others dropped 1 or 2 !! I also used to use Dan Arm 8's as they were all I could afford

I'm with Mungler

3/8 & 3/8 Briley extended for sporting

Muller U1 x2 for skeet

3/8 & 3/4 Briley for trap

always use the same cartridges, Comp X 21g fibre 7.5 (don't Laff)

Of course I don't shoot as well as him ;) but I enjoy myself, which is what it's all about

:shaun:

Did the different chokes and different shot size thing for a bit and it did my head in. If I missed I questioned the choke/shot size combo, was the barrel selector in the right place? Was I sure that was an 8, is the clay showing enough belly for that shot size etc. Knocked it on the head, switched to 1/2&1/2 and forgot about chokes. I always use the same cartridges (VIP sporting for fibre and Superbs for plastic) now when I miss I know it's me lol.

Surely it was YOU that missed all along!

i started shooting 9s aswell, in the full / full combo

I used to go around Grimsthorpe back in the day when it first opened, really good targets, and at the end of the shoot I used to ask my mate how many trap cartridges he'd shot, he replied "four" with a smile....he'd shot the rest with 9's !!!

I agree with you that with enough choke 9's are pretty good for most targets ;-)

Azzurri.

i started shooting 9s aswell, in the full / full combo

I used to go around Grimsthorpe back in the day when it first opened, really good targets, and at the end of the shoot I used to ask my mate how many trap cartridges he'd shot, he replied "four" with a smile....he'd shot the rest with 9's !!!

I agree with you that with enough choke 9's are pretty good for most targets ;-)

Azzurri.

Guest cookoff013

Azzurri.

Azzurri.

i used to use 7.5 cheapies, y`know, DJs- english sprouters and hv loads. then i did a silly amount of skeet, switched to 9s and had alot of fun. then after the skeet we`d shoot sporting, just to wind down. the shells performed well, i was using alot of choke at the time too, as i went from 1oz to 24 to 21s then 24 international #9s.

i cant believe that a #9 doing 1500fps can be so devistating on clays. they even work far out there, i`ve always dismissed #9s as short range but the distance doesnt matter.

i used to use 7.5 cheapies, y`know, DJs- english sprouters and hv loads. then i did a silly amount of skeet, switched to 9s and had alot of fun. then after the skeet we`d shoot sporting, just to wind down. the shells performed well, i was using alot of choke at the time too, as i went from 1oz to 24 to 21s then 24 international #9s.

i cant believe that a #9 doing 1500fps can be so devistating on clays. they even work far out there, i`ve always dismissed #9s as short range but the distance doesnt matter.

We shot the recent Fitasc shoot up at Hartlepool a couple of months back. On one layout we shot a nice crosser from the first two hoops but the organisers deemed it too much from the third hoop so introduced another target for us to shoot from there. Anyway after we'd shot and finished the layout somebody on our squad asked if we could gave a go at this particular crosser from the third hoop and as we were the last squad of the day we had a play, out came the full chokes and Hull 6.5's and we started breaking it fairly well. I'd found the target and had the gap in my mind when an importer of a certain cartridge on our squad put two in my gun and told me to get it shot...6 in a row with skeet 9's...should've seen his face, I've never seen him smile like that in 20 years !!! Lol

Azzurri.