Recommended Breeders?

CMS.B525

Wot do u want ur dog to do?

If ur just after a decent shooting companion i would just ask around local gunshops/local gundog club for decent working stock that is not to well bred.

I think some very well bred FT dogs can be a bit hot or hard to handle for normal gundog work esp for a first time owner handler

Make sure it's docked!

+1 on that

If your not bothered about having a pedigree there are some good sprockers about. I got a cocker she has very strong trials breeding, and is like having a Ferrari when you need a land rover.

Believe it or not my wife found the ad on pets for homes website turned out to be a lad I went to school with and the bloke who owns the sire lives ten minutes away. I can see if any litters are planned.

Try these:

http://www.ukgundogs.eu/forsale.php?maincatid=3&n1=English%20Springer%20Spaniels%20For%20Sale

http://gundogsdirect.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewAds&catId=13

http://www.sportinggundogs.com/springer-spaniels-forsale.asp

If you want a working dog go for a strong working stock with reliable recommendations,if you can't get one there are a lot of good working bitches put to sires which are FTCH or FTW and work with it,get the books and DVDs and enjoy it.

I've seen good dogs that are not FTCH bred but that's normally down to a good trainer.Ive seen some dogs from a bloke who knew a bloke and they are not well built and have no natural hunting ability.

The other thing is a lot of the FTCH studs are health checked against things that can cost a lot of money down the line,and the difference in pup price between one out of a proper breeder and one out if the local paper might only be a hundred quid.

Good luck

He produced 2 competitiors at the 2010 champs, he was the joint top sire at the 2011 champs, sired 3 of the 2012 competitors, 1 of the 2013 competitors and 3 at the 2014 championship. His sire is FTCH Dardnell Dealer, who is grandsire to my bitch. I have personally line bred back to dealer to tie in the traits I like about the line and the stuff it produces. He complements my bitch well, I just hope the pups turn out like their parents

Do you know about the Kennel club mate select website? What do you think about the Kennel clubs move away from line breeding?

I ask as I turned down studs which gave similar percentage to your mating. Even though the dogs in question had all the quality's I was looking for.

He produced 2 competitiors at the 2010 champs, he was the joint top sire at the 2011 champs, sired 3 of the 2012 competitors, 1 of the 2013 competitors and 3 at the 2014 championship. His sire is FTCH Dardnell Dealer, who is grandsire to my bitch. I have personally line bred back to dealer to tie in the traits I like about the line and the stuff it produces. He complements my bitch well, I just hope the pups turn out like their parents

I certainly do. The kennel clubs move away from line breeding doesn't concern me too much to be honest. The COI of this litter is well within the 25% tolerance they have.

That's your prerogative to use a stud dog based on a percentage. I'll stick to using a known producer that will stamp the qualities of the line on my pups. If the pups are any good, that's when an outcross comes into play to dilute the line breeding. The average COI is a bit of a joke in cockers anyway as it takes into account the show strain.

Thanks for the reply I put my bitch to stud with a dog in the kennel of her sire's owner I had a choice of two so went with the lower percentage. Don't get me wrong they are both well breed dogs the one with the higher percentage would probably be the better choice but the mate select swayed me. Maybe have to take another look at him for next season. She didn't stand for the other dog

Does the show strain put the COI up or down?

COI confuses the hell out of me - Your heart tells you it's wrong, but a lot of breeders will tell you it's right - I've got Clumber spaniels and the war raging between several different factions within the working clumber world over this gets downright vicious with both sides calling the other out and using their own and heavily differing scientific ideas.

COI isn't necessarily a bad thing, in fact dogs with a higher COI have a better (statistically) change of inheriting the good traits of their line, but then also the bad things too.

It's all a balancing act, but for me personally, the dog itself, its progeny and results come before COI. I know I can outcross in the next generation to something that complements my line to bring the COI down

In gwp's it's well known to increase the risk of epilepsy. To my mind it's a bad idea hence when I bred mine it was to the best unrelated dog I could find. Cocker's aren't much different you have rage and collapse as two issues personally I wouldn't like to guarantee that has nothing to do with inbreeding

In gwp's it's well known to increase the risk of epilepsy. To my mind it's a bad idea hence when I bred mine it was to the best unrelated dog I could find. Cocker's aren't much different you have rage and collapse as two issues personally I wouldn't like to guarantee that has nothing to do with inbreeding

It's a valid point but so long as the breder has put the time,effort,thought into the mating then the chances of anything nasty arising can be minimised. Millomite has taken advice from all quarters regarding his bitch and it's mating.

Has your GWP line been affected with epilepsy?

Edited by Bazooka

Be aware cockers are not the best at water work and are quite shy of other dogs and stranger, they need careful handling at the early stages. My brother has run them for 40 years and they still surprise him. Try and buy a pup through a mate.

It's a valid point but so long as the breder has put the time,effort,thought into the mating then the chances of anything nasty arising can be minimised. Millomite has taken advice from all quarters regarding his bitch and it's mating.

Has your GWP line been affected with epilepsy?

No but plenty have, let's face it there is a reason it's illegal to mate with your sister and even cousins aren't a good idea. In countries where it is you do get more inherited disorders the same applies to dogs. Some ignore it the COI is there for a reason and personally I'd avoid anything in the 20's and most in the 10's

No but plenty have, let's face it there is a reason it's illegal to mate with your sister and even cousins aren't a good idea. In countries where it is you do get more inherited disorders the same applies to dogs. Some ignore it the COI is there for a reason and personally I'd avoid anything in the 20's and most in the 10's

I hear you. But the fact is, if you have no evidence of it through your line going back it would be risky to reintroduce a whole new set of unrelated genes into the mix?

Line breeding is not a brother sister or parent to progency mating. It's a close breeding that in theory should keep a good line as it is, from a working side or a health side.

I haven't got a sister mate?

Edited by Bazooka

you cant mate with your sister ?, no one told us that in fenland , when was it made illegal :ninja:

Be aware cockers are not the best at water work and are quite shy of other dogs and stranger, they need careful handling at the early stages. My brother has run them for 40 years and they still surprise him. Try and buy a pup through a mate.

This surprises me as mine loves people is happy with other dogs (even after a over friendly staffy bowled her over first ever walk out as a pup).

Two biggest problems with mine keeping her away from water and getting giddy wanting attention off people. some of this is down to kids making to much fuss of her as a pup the rest is down to Cockers loving people.