British sniper

felly100

But surely if he just hit the insurgents jacket full of explosive it would blow up? Am I right in saying that it would I dont really know a lot about rifle ballistics and that sort of thing

I'm sure someone cleverer than I will be along but from what I know it's actually really hard to set off explosives, you can actually burn plastic explosive on a fire and it just smoulders! High explosives nearly always need a primary detonator which is something that does go bang easily and then sets off the HE, that's why primers are more dangerous than the actual explosive. That said I don't know what the explosive of choice is in a suicide vest but guess it's not nitro or similar reactive or it would go off strapping the vest on.

My money is on the superbly ironically named dead mans switch. He got shot, released the switch and bang - pink mist!

I'm sure someone cleverer than I will be along but from what I know it's actually really hard to set off explosives, you can actually burn plastic explosive on a fire and it just smoulders! High explosives nearly always need a primary detonator which is something that does go bang easily and then sets off the HE, that's why primers are more dangerous than the actual explosive. That said I don't know what the explosive of choice is in a suicide vest but guess it's not nitro or similar reactive or it would go off strapping the vest on.

My money is on the superbly ironically named dead mans switch. He got shot, released the switch and bang - pink mist!

Not sure mate but the insurgency don't have ready access to commercial grade explosives. They tend to use fertiliser based homemade stuff which can be quite unstable. I've seen the Afghan Police destroy IEDs in place by emptying a AK mag into the main charge when they don't have the capability or time to manually clear them so I guess it can be initiated by kinetic energy. In any case it was a bad day for the other team.

Or maybe all that hard work and range time to ensure he fully understood the ballistics and the capabilities of his weapon system payed off. Just saying ......

You are certainly correct sir it was meant as a tongue in cheek comment due to his age, perhaps i should of ended it with a smiley face :good:

the longest confirmed kill was by craig harrison (uk) at 2,475 m (2,707 yd) in november 2009

before that it was rob furlong (canadian) at 2,430 m (2,657 yd) in 2002

craig harrison's bullet was in the air for just over 6 seconds.

What calibre was that?

2700 yards seems an awful long way, even for a Lap mag or a Barret 50.

It could be the round used was an HE round such as the yanks have for the Barrett - they detonate having passed through walls to ensure any target hiding is removed.

I do think the dead-man switch more likely.

It could be the round used was an HE round such as the yanks have for the Barrett - they detonate having passed through walls to ensure any target hiding is removed.

I do think the dead-man switch more likely.

Lets not hear any more HMR shooters complaining about meat damage..

What calibre was that?

2700 yards seems an awful long way, even for a Lap mag or a Barret 50.

338 from the standing position he did it twice so no fluke think it was 9 ranging rounds ran out of elevation adjustment on the scope and had to aim above the bloke. Books out soon good read!!

For anyone interested in this - I can really recommend the book Sniper One by Dan Mills, tells the story of a siege in Iraq from the point of view of a British sniper, cracking read!

I really enjoyed this - one highlight was when they are given permission to engage the 'dikkers' the spotters who as unarmed could not be engaged before but the rules changed and one strolled out to his usual spot and sat for a day of observing when he got a couple of hundred grain wake up call. It must be very frustrating when the enemy knows the rules you must abide by and uses them to their advantage