bariatric surgery

bi9johnny

has anyone on here undergone any form of bariatric surgery, i know they dont do the band much these days but maybe a sleeve or a bypass

i will go under the knife on 15th april in Brno in czech republic and hope to lose approx 7/8 stone by christmas this year

I dont know anything about the operation but I wish you all the best whatever you decide to do. :good:

Regards

H

has anyone on here undergone any form of bariatric surgery, i know they dont do the band much these days but maybe a sleeve or a bypass

i will go under the knife on 15th april in Brno in czech republic and hope to lose approx 7/8 stone by christmas this year

Hope all goes well John, best of luck ;)

Hope all goes well John, best of luck ;)

I'll show you how it's done mate, won't be long before you have a 6 pack like me.

Cheers chaps , I am really looking forward to this roll on the 15th, if anything happens don't worry I've told the wife the true value of my guns and gear lolol and the dogs go with me lol

Telling the wife the true value of shooting stuff takes more guts than facing the op lol :lol: .

On a serious note, best of luck, I know a couple of people who have gone through it.

cheers sir, i am lucky my woman never passes comment on my hobbies or i'd be having a sale on shoes and handbags :lol::lol:

I'm lucky enough to be tall and average weight. But having a hugely overweight sister who subsequently underwent a Gastric Band op last year I appreciate it's not as simple as "just eating less". It's transformed her life in a good way, but also drastically changed her way of life as regards a lot of rules/guidelines as to what she can eat and drink. Anyhow, good luck to you, and I hope all goes well :good:

I had the Sleeve done on Nov. 15th 2013. Best thing I've ever done. It was an easy recovery for me. Had the op on Wednesday morning and went for a 1.5 mile walk on Saturday. I started at 349lbs. I lost 12 pounds the week before the surgery on a liquid diet the Dr. gave me and I sit at 271lbs today. They estimate I'll get down to around 235lbs.

I have so much more energy and I'm having less inflammation from my Rheumatoid Arthritis since the surgery.

It's a big change to your eating and drinking habits, and can be challenging at times but it does get easier the longer you stick with it. Food (especially sugar) can be an addiction as tough to kick as the fags.

My advice to anyone doing it:

-Follow all the directions they give you exactly. Don't worry about being hungry the first few weeks after the surgery, you aren't. Any hunger that I felt was purely psychological at that point. Some things may seem extreme but follow the rules and it'll go easy for you.

-WALK! Exercise is a part of this process, walking is the easiest.

-Be prepared for your tastes to change. I would drink big meaty French red wines that would make most people wince before the surgery. They just don't taste good to me anymore. I was so-so on salmon prior to the op but love the stuff now.

-Pay attention and learn the signs that you are hungry and you are full. They change too.

-Take the chance and have a good think about the way you live....I changed some other stuff too that had nothing to do with being overweight. While you're changing might as well get your money's worth.

-Make a list of things you'll be able to do or do better/easier after surgery. Keep it handy and go back to it when you get discouraged.

I wish you all the best with it, it's made my life a better place to be, helped me avoid a lot of health problems down the road, allow me to be there for my daughters, and I had gotten so out of shape I couldn't shoot or fish much anymore and I'm gaining that back now too.

Keep us posted on how you get on!

Jim

Jim thanks very much for that mate. I knew there would be someone on here who has had it.

I have had over 12 months intervention from nhs here and decided I wasn't waiting any longer so I have gone private in Czech Republic

I travel to the Surgal Clinic on 14th April and have the op on 15th. Then back home on 18th.

I have done all the research and study and am fully prepared for this now, I know it is the right thing to do

I am currently 23 stone and am expecting to be down to approx 15 by Christmas which I believe is a sensible expectation

Thanks again for your input

How tall are you Johnny if you don't mind me asking.

One other bit of info, An old work contact had it done and for a while it all went well. He then turned to eating lots of fattening stuff like cream and ice cream little and often.

Even with the op, his weight crept back up. Jmooney's advice is bang on.

i'm 5'8" tall there are very few people it doesn't work for but folks have to realise it is a tool to help you not a miracle cure, it is very hard work to get over a lifetime of excess and over indulgence .... this is not something i have jumped into at the drop of a hat but something that has been a big part of my preparation for over 12 months now attending meetings and weigh in's and such on a weekly basis for half of it ........

most peoples appetite will change drastically but it's the way you think about food that needs to change also

atb john

i'm 5'8" tall there are very few people it doesn't work for but folks have to realise it is a tool to help you not a miracle cure, it is very hard work to get over a lifetime of excess and over indulgence .... this is not something i have jumped into at the drop of a hat but something that has been a big part of my preparation for over 12 months now attending meetings and weigh in's and such on a weekly basis for half of it ........

most peoples appetite will change drastically but it's the way you think about food that needs to change also

atb john

Sounds like a positive approach Johnny, you've got the right mindset . The reason I asked about height is that 1 am 5ft 10" but 18st. Got to 17st 12 2 weeks ago but had a bad week so back up to 18.

Good luck again. :good: