Here's one I made earlier...

Having read some of the recent knifemaking threads on PW, I have been motivated to clear out the man-cave and make some more blades.

The fact that the Management is pestering me to clear out the garage that contains the man-cave is, of course, entirely irrelevant!

Looking through the Box of Things to Finish reveals 6 blades in various stages of completion, from 'waiting for heat-treatment' through to 'ready for a handle', with one detour into 'bolster fitted but it's carp so I'll have to do it again'. :lol:

There is also a stock for an SKB sxs lurking on the bench in a bath of turps, so I'll have to finish that first.

Anyway, here's one I made earlier, and one of which I actually remembered to take work-in-progress photos.

Bolster and first spacer fitted and clamped:

Tuominen_a.JPG

Handle sections fitted and glued up.

Tuominen_b.JPG

Glue set, tang rivetted over, handle marked up ready to start shaping.

Tuominen_c.JPG

Finished!

Tuominen_5rs.JPG

Tuominen_4rs.JPG

Blade is by Pekka Tuominen in what the Finns refer to as 'silver steel'.

Handle is desert ironwood with nickel-silver and black fibre fittings, and the accent is piece of mammoth ivory.

SHeath is wet-moulded 4mm veg tan leather, dyed with Fiebings oil dye and finished with carnuaba wax.

Thanks for looking :)

Did that ironwood blunt your tools easily?

Thanks - it was definitely worth it :D

The DI didn't really blunt any tools, but that is more a reflection of the tools used - I did the rough shaping with a hand saw, then the rest with belt and drum sander, up to the point of finishing, when I switched to Micromesh.

Mind you, you really need to wear respiratory protection when sanding this stuff!