Footpaths

countryman

Why is that some people with dogs think they can walk ware ever they want, i was out with the rifle doing some rabbiting when i see these 2 people with a dog walking on a footpath in another field when they decide to come off that and start walking towards the edge of the woods ware i am, at this point they are still a good 100 yards away but heading straight for me, lucky they decided to cross the field in front of me and not walk round the edge. I can see how easy it is to have to explain your self to the Police when people like this don't stick to the paths.

Chris

Why is it,when I'm out with the dogs, i see lunatics in camo gear,hiding in the undergrowth?

My main permission is over run with dog walkers mid week after work,I'm a firm believer in being a good ambassador for our thing,I just break the gun,smile,curse under my breath and wait for them to toddle off.

You want to try to run a pheasant shoot with people walking every where and dogs running riot :mad: mark my words the none shooting public will be the death of all shooting, you try to be polite and guide them back onto the paths and all you get is abuse!.

If they are not on the paths how the heck can you shoot anything without the fear that some idiot isnt going to appear! where they are not supposed to be.

There are more than enough public foot paths if people stuck to them and kept their dogs with them there would be no problem but they dont!

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/features/542473/Saboteours_The_trials_of_trespassers.html

You want to try to run a pheasant shoot with people walking every where and dogs running riot :mad: mark my words the none shooting public will be the death of all shooting, you try to be polite and guide them back onto the paths and all you get is abuse!.

If they are not on the paths how the heck can you shoot anything without the fear that some idiot isnt going to appear! where they are not supposed to be.

There are more than enough public foot paths if people stuck to them and kept their dogs with them there would be no problem but they dont!

I rent out 35 acres to a good friend of mine,who is a dairy farmer.

He mentioned to me one day about all the dog walkers exercising their dogs in my first field off the road.

He then told me to comply with a farm scheme he was on (can't remember which) he had to worm all his stock so many times a year).

He was getting hacked off with all the dog **** lying in the field and he had no way off knowing if the dogs had been properly wormed.

That was something I hadn't thought about, and I feel I'll have to put up a notice saying to keep dogs on lead, keep to footpath,and it's not an exercise area. I don't like to be a killjoy but they ought to have the decency to keep to the footpath. I can't stop them using that!!

I was under the impression that we had had it as well what harm does it do if there are no crops or livestock to bother and if they keep out of your way when you are shooting.

There is no right to roam in England. Trespass is still a civil offence and rightly so. Private property is private property. Rights of way confer the right to cross private land by a prescribed route to get to somewhere else, nothing more. There is no legal right to exercise a dog on a ROW either. The countryside hasn't been nationalised yet.

I rent out 35 acres to a good friend of mine,who is a dairy farmer.

He mentioned to me one day about all the dog walkers exercising their dogs in my first field off the road.

He then told me to comply with a farm scheme he was on (can't remember which) he had to worm all his stock so many times a year).

He was getting hacked off with all the dog **** lying in the field and he had no way off knowing if the dogs had been properly wormed.

That was something I hadn't thought about, and I feel I'll have to put up a notice saying to keep dogs on lead, keep to footpath,and it's not an exercise area. I don't like to be a killjoy but they ought to have the decency to keep to the footpath. I can't stop them using that!!

But his cows can't catch worms from dogs can they?

One particular permission of have, i no longer see rabbits during daylight hours which i think is due to dog walkers.

I've come to opposite conclusion, I have an area behind dunes and reckon that pedestrians are actually making the rabbits more tolerant of people.

Yes mate neosporosis from infected carnivores can cause abortion in cattle, sarcocystosis can cause neurological diseases and death in sheep. it is an offence to not pick up dog sxxxt in parks in Scotland but not on agricultural land !

Edited by islandgun

I've come to opposite conclusion, I have an area behind dunes and reckon that pedestrians are actually making the rabbits more tolerant of people.

Yes mate neosporosis from infected carnivores can cause abortion in cattle, sarcocystosis can cause neurological diseases and death in sheep. it is an offence to not pick up dog sxxxt in parks in Scotland but not on agricultural land !

Both are Protozoa and not Worms... Suspect worming wouldn't help - picking up faeces would though.

Thanks - was only thinking worms and didn't broaden thinking. Appreciated.

Both are Protozoa and not Worms... Suspect worming wouldn't help - picking up faeces would though.

Thanks - was only thinking worms and didn't broaden thinking. Appreciated.

sorry I was only thinking dog faeces and didnt answer your question properly. returning to the OP perhaps people should be reminded to remove their dogs stuff wherever they are!

cheers IG

Your question and my half baked answer got me curious. I have found a few worms that have both dogs and livestock as host's and often Humans, these include roundworms (nematodes), Tapeworms and Flukes, some of these are passed from dogs consuming infected animal parts,and defecating back onto the pasture and are then passed in larvae stage back into livestock,

One Tapeworm (Hydatids) form cysts in humans with the only cure being surgery and chemo-therapy, This worm is passed from dog to human by allowing dogs to lick your face or from leads etc, Known hot spots include Wales and the Western Isles (note my address)

With this in mind and returning to the OP anyone facing a problem from trespass and dog walkers could position a few posters around their land with dire warnings of Tapeworm infestation :innocent:

Your question and my half baked answer got me curious. I have found a few worms that have both dogs and livestock as host's and often Humans, these include roundworms (nematodes), Tapeworms and Flukes, some of these are passed from dogs consuming infected animal parts,and defecating back onto the pasture and are then passed in larvae stage back into livestock,

One Tapeworm (Hydatids) form cysts in humans with the only cure being surgery and chemo-therapy, This worm is passed from dog to human by allowing dogs to lick your face or from leads etc, Known hot spots include Wales and the Western Isles (note my address)

With this in mind and returning to the OP anyone facing a problem from trespass and dog walkers could position a few posters around their land with dire warnings of Tapeworm infestation :innocent:

On my main shooting ground we've had a lot of trouble with dog walkers. They will tear down the dog warden's notices and get very indignant when they're pulled up over straying or fouling. They'll pick up if challenged but the bag will end up hung on a gate, thrown into the hedge or left on the farm manager's car bonnet. The landowner even had a bag of **** thrown at him when he asked someone to keep to the footpath and pick up after their dogs.

Everyone thinks the problem is someone else's dog, never theirs. Tenants are no better. "But I live here" they'll say. They have to be reminded that they rent a single house not the entire estate and nowhere in their tenancy agreement are they given the right to wander at will or cover the place in ****. The tenant farmer next door whose family have had the lease for 100 years is convinced that dog walkers spread TB between farms. I don't doubt he's right.

My shoot backs on to National Trust land and we get walkers all the time.

I always challenge them if they are off the footpath and even if they are on it and their dogs are not under control.

I have ground nesting birds everywhere and don't want dogs or people wandering around.

I have given up being too polite now and also make a point of telling them that there are people on the ground with high powered rifles and by wandering they are endangering themselves their dogs and quite often their kids if they have them tagging along.

Makes my blood boil now, how are we supposed to know who's wandering the other side of a hedge?

Guarantee though if an accident happened no one would say it was their fault for being somewhere they shouldn't

Just a thought I would think that most people today tend to use spoton on there dogs and that is said on the box to kill both fleas and worms and most ticks so it should not be much of a problem.

Also people say that other people should keep there dogs on leads and keep them to the foot paths that is just plane wrong dogs need to run free I see it all the time people have dogs and just take them for short walks always on leads what sort of life is that for a dog something that was designed to run and it is in my mind just like people who keep birds in cages that to me is obscene birds should be free to go wherever they please not used as ornaments.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Also people say that other people should keep there dogs on leads and keep them to the foot paths that is just plane wrong dogs need to run free I see it all the time people have dogs and just take them for short walks always on leads what sort of life is that for a dog something that was designed to run and it is in my mind just like people who keep birds in cages that to me is obscene birds should be free to go wherever they please not used as ornaments.

Quite right. And people should consider this before getting a dog. It is not the duty of landowners to provide a free exercising space for other people's pets.

Quite right. And people should consider this before getting a dog. It is not the duty of landowners to provide a free exercising space for other people's pets.

I am afraid that this hole thing about people owing land is madness as the red Indians said when the white man arrived and started putting up fences how can a man/woman who can only live at most 100 years at most ever hope to own something that was there tens of thousends of years befor they was even thought of and will be there for tends of thouseds of years after they are dead and gone after all all that people are doing is looking after it for a short time what is the problem with letting people wonder across it if they are doing no harm and for those who say would you let people walk in your garden if I had a garden big enough for people to walk on it and not get to close to my home then I would have no objections to that.

I am afraid that this hole thing about people owing land is madness as the red Indians said when the white man arrived and started putting up fences how can a man/woman who can only live at most 100 years at most ever hope to own something that was there tens of thousends of years befor they was even thought of and will be there for tends of thouseds of years after they are dead and gone after all all that people are doing is looking after it for a short time what is the problem with letting people wonder across it if they are doing no harm and for those who say would you let people walk in your garden if I had a garden big enough for people to walk on it and not get to close to my home then I would have no objections to that.

Have you been on the cider???

We have enough trouble with dogs and walkers leaving gates wide open between different flocks of sheep etc but allowing someone's dog to run free whilst in the middle of our sheep is taking the ****!

It's bad enough getting the "my dog is fine it won't hurt a sheep"...our ******** sheep don't know that!!

Pastures and fields are a place of work not a green grass covered theme park. We are lucky to have good responsible ramblers in the main and I'm pleased to see them and always stop to chat BUT....suggesting dogs should be allowed to run free is bonkers!!!

Edit: apologies for the rant but we are lambing at the moment and tolerance levels are low

Edited by ben0850

Have you been on the cider???

We have enough trouble with dogs and walkers leaving gates wide open between different flocks of sheep etc but allowing someone's dog to run free whilst in the middle of our sheep is taking the ****!

It's bad enough getting the "my dog is fine it won't hurt a sheep"...our ******** sheep don't know that!!

Pastures and fields are a place of work not a green grass covered theme park. We are lucky to have good responsible ramblers in the main and I'm pleased to see them and always stop to chat BUT....suggesting dogs should be allowed to run free is bonkers!!!

Edit: apologies for the rant but we are lambing at the moment and tolerance levels are low

Calm down the problem is with people its nothing to do with dogs if people have dogs then it is there responsability to make shore that they do not do things that they should not most dogs will chase anything that runs that is why dogs go after cats my dog will chase cats but if they stand there ground he will ignore them you will get the odd nasty dog that will chase and kill anything even other smaller dogs and that is down to the owner my dog is never off the lead if there is any livestock around as much for his safety as for theres and as for leaving gats oppen it the same as littering some people are just plaine selfish I hope that all goes well with your lambing but please do not blame all dog owners for the actions of a few that is what got us stuck with that stupid hand gun ban.