Item under warranty

steve_b_wales

My recently bought computer (Jan) has been having problems. I contacted the seller -Ebuyer.com who then told me that I should deal directly with the manufacturer -Zoostorm. I contacted Zoostorm who informed me that their technicians would look at the computer, but if they couldnt find anything wrong with it, then I would have to pay them £62.40 for 'their time etc. I pointed out to them that as the problem was intermittent, its possible that they won't find what's wrong. Also, I thought to myself that they could fix the problem and say that there was'nt anything wrong, and charge me the fee.

Anyway, I contacted Trading Standards this morning, which is called Consumer Wales, where I'm from, and I was told that it's Ebuyer.com who are responsible for dealing with the problem, as it was purchased from them, and that the computer should be sent back to them. I've emailed Ebuyer.com and informed them (via an eNote) what trading standards have told me, and I now await a reply from them.

Watch this space!

Yep, many internet sellers try a shirk this but the full responsibility lies with the persons who sold it you. If they get no joy from their supplier tough on them not tough on you, a good reason all sellers should make a fair profit is so they can afford to cop for an odd loss on a bad item.

Exactly right, this 'send it back to the manufacturer yourself' thing seems to be especially prolific with electrical items, we had problems with a washing machine and Comet (RIP) told us to deliver it to the manufacturer and keep a receipt of postage for them to reimburse! I dug in and they eventually capitulated and replaced it

Anyway, I contacted Trading Standards this morning, which is called Consumer Wales, where I'm from, and I was told that it's Ebuyer.com who are responsible for dealing with the problem, as it was purchased from them, and that the computer should be sent back to them. I've emailed Ebuyer.com and informed them (via an eNote) what trading standards have told me, and I now await a reply from them.

Watch this space!

COuld be some good sport (make a note of all the time you spend dealing with this, sending correspondence (send it in writing to registered address), answering calls etc) that way you can claim for it when you go to court.

My recently bought computer (Jan) has been having problems. I contacted the seller -Ebuyer.com who then told me that I should deal directly with the manufacturer -Zoostorm. I contacted Zoostorm who informed me that their technicians would look at the computer, but if they couldnt find anything wrong with it, then I would have to pay them £62.40 for 'their time etc. I pointed out to them that as the problem was intermittent, its possible that they won't find what's wrong. Also, I thought to myself that they could fix the problem and say that there was'nt anything wrong, and charge me the fee.

Watch this space!

post it to me Steve I'll go kick on the door and moan like a bitch for you only 5 min from me Edited by martyn2233

Film the error as it occurs and then send a copy to the supplier along with the computer-inform them that they have 14 days to repair/replace the computer or you will accept nothing but a refund. Did you pay by credit card?-you may be covered by the card if you did. Do NOT accept excuses from suppliers who rely on customers not knowing their rights-the UK has the strongest consumer rights laws in Europe. Ask for a receipt from your post office when posting-the supplier is liable for "reasonable" costs for posting.

Edited by bruno22rf

Film the error as it occurs and then send a copy to the supplier along with the computer-inform them that they have 14 days to repair/replace the computer or you will accept nothing but a refund. Did you pay by credit card?-you may be covered by the card if you did. Do NOT accept excuses from suppliers who rely on customers not knowing their rights-the UK has the strongest consumer rights laws in Europe. Ask for a receipt from your post office when posting-the supplier is liable for "reasonable" costs for posting.

Will do. :good:

Firstly I am a Retailer . Your contract is with the seller but in many of these cases it is quicker and simpler for all if the customer deals direct with the mfg thereby bypassing the middleman . However in any case if no problem can be found they are quite within their rights to charge you for time and return postage if they so desire, if the problem is software derived they can charge you as any claim would be against the software company and they will tell you to go away.

Firstly I am a Retailer . Your contract is with the seller but in many of these cases it is quicker and simpler for all if the customer deals direct with the mfg thereby bypassing the middleman . However in any case if no problem can be found they are quite within their rights to charge you for time and return postage if they so desire, if the problem is software derived they can charge you as any claim would be against the software company and they will tell you to go away.

It should be pointed out that if the software came supplied or preinstalled from the manufacturer then it is their responsibility to fix or exchange at their cost as they supplied it as part of the package you bought.

And while I can understand your stance on dealing direct,a lot of these companies do not even do a free post service these days,and for peace of mind I would hand it to the retailer and tell him to sort it,why should you be lumbered with any postage/insurance costs?

UPDATE. I spoke with Ebuyer today and they are happy to have the computer back, and will arrange for a courier to collect it, at their expense. Their technicians will check the computer to see if they can find the fault (which is intermittent) and if they can fix it, then they will go ahead, but if they can't find the fault, they will replace the computer with a brand new one. I can't argue with that.

No, you deal with the retailer, if you deal with the manufacturer the retailer can then wash his hands of the deal saying "you have not given me the opportunity to repair it"!

Nice trick, but I refuse to deal with anybody other than the retailer when it comes to faulty products, they sold it, my contract is with them, not the company that made the goods I bought!

No, you deal with the retailer, if you deal with the manufacturer the retailer can then wash his hands of the deal saying "you have not given me the opportunity to repair it"!

Nice trick, but I refuse to deal with anybody other than the retailer when it comes to faulty products, they sold it, my contract is with them, not the company that made the goods I bought!

I only said it is often quicker to deal direct which it is so please think about this . You have made an online purchase and something goes wrong so you book a delivery service to collect and deliver your item , the retailer does the same once they have received the item so on and so forth the delivery times more than double which realistically can add a week. Return postage costs are dealt with in the Sale of goods act and it is quite clear if the sellers T`s & C`s say he will not cover such costs then it is perfectly legal for him to insist the customer pays for these. May retailers give extra to their customers just like the seller in this thread has and just like we do but please don't be mistaken into thinking it is your right to free postage for warranty claims . Perhaps you might like to read a software licence some day and you will see there is no warranty with it . Many people think everything they buy has at least a 12 month warranty well they are all wrong , there are many things which have no warranty at all . The law requires them to be fit for purpose and conform to contract but the law does not say an item has to be guaranteed for any period of time.

I only said it is often quicker to deal direct which it is so please think about this . You have made an online purchase and something goes wrong so you book a delivery service to collect and deliver your item , the retailer does the same once they have received the item so on and so forth the delivery times more than double which realistically can add a week. Return postage costs are dealt with in the Sale of goods act and it is quite clear if the sellers T`s & C`s say he will not cover such costs then it is perfectly legal for him to insist the customer pays for these. May retailers give extra to their customers just like the seller in this thread has and just like we do but please don't be mistaken into thinking it is your right to free postage for warranty claims . Perhaps you might like to read a software licence some day and you will see there is no warranty with it . Many people think everything they buy has at least a 12 month warranty well they are all wrong , there are many things which have no warranty at all . The law requires them to be fit for purpose and conform to contract but the law does not say an item has to be guaranteed for any period of time.

I didn't mention a 12 month guarantee,as you point out they must be fit for purpose and have an expected lifespan,so if the software supplied to you within a product is faulty there is an expectation under law that it be fixed or replaced and you should not incur any of the cost ,and it is good that you point out that goods can be taken back ,even after a year,as most people are unaware of this,the more consumers that do become aware and use their rights is a good thing as manufacturers may make better products once they start getting lots of returns.

No period of time is stated other than a Reasonable Period of Duress!

This leads to some interesting problems for retailers, I do not consider 12 months a reasonable period of duress when the item is a £600 tv, I would expect that to last at least 4 years, reasonably I think, the same with an air rifle, when I splash out £700 on a gun I expect it to last longer than a year. As a retailer you should be worried, as the courts agree with this too!

Edited by secretagentmole