Inclusion of the Greylag Goose onto the General License

scolopax

This is great isn't it just! We have more SL granted for cormorants yet no GL prop for them. Very few Mallard SL and those were for egg spoiling in parks But they are proposed GL. Wildfowlers are not core BASC members, yet they founded BASC.

What I suspect is we have a high contingency of idiots in NE who know little and care less other than cost and BASC who think shooters actually want this as it gives some extra summer killing! I am struggling with this it all seems so contradictory to why these two bodies exist, though I suspect blind ignorance is the route of the issue or is it that neither has the courage to stand up to the pressure applied from a soon to deposed unelected EU dictatorship who only care for power?

Come on BASC last call stand with us and withdraw your support for this there isn't exactly a push towards this coming from the members that I hear

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys Brent Geese are now not wary enough, the murder (that is what it will end up) will be too much and too quickly applied. I cannot be the only one who likes to see stuff we do not kill, short seasons have been spoke of from the time it came off but once a bird gets on that no shoot list it tends to stay there (hence the Cormorant isn't being offered on GL)

I still suspect if we dig deeper we will find the bird charities and/or protectionists driving this!........NE are just a convenient patsy! I really don't understand why BASC's support this? I further don't understand why in the face of significant opposition from their own membership...... they don't withdraw their support?

I still suspect if we dig deeper we will find the bird charities and/or protectionists driving this!........NE are just a convenient patsy! I really don't understand why BASC's support this? I further don't understand why in the face of significant opposition from their own membership...... they don't withdraw their support?

Because they see themselves differently at the top, superior, all knowing and invulnerable. For this to change it must come loud and clear from the members as I know it is on the net and clubs, then it takes a few good men in BASC to stand up and do what is right. No use being a leader if there is nobody to lead.

Its happened within the RSPB, its happened in the RSPCA

Dear All,

As I keep saying it was BASC's council that took the decision to support the proposal, this was mirrored by all the other main shooting organisations. Again, you can see the background to this on our web site.

David

I take it that's all BASC will say to its paying members, sorry could have been a start. This is what happens when any body becomes too remote from its routes. What group will be next for the sacrificial slaughter I wonder? Suppose its time to take the sticker out the car then

Can I please remind you that BASC members have a full say in electing from within their number those who that want to represent them on Council.

You should know as well as I that wildfowling is very well represented on Council

It was the BASC members who make up Council that took the final decision, that's what they are there to do, they exist to set policy that's what the rules and constitution say.

We have removed an individual's name in association with suggestions of illegal practise. Please do not make allegations against named individuals on the forum, as you may be personally liable should they take action.

Can I please remind you that BASC members have a full say in electing from within their number those who that want to represent them on Council.

You should know as well as I that wildfowling is very well represented on Council

It was the BASC members who make up Council that took the final decision, that's what they are there to do, they exist to set policy that's what the rules and constitution say.

David would it be possible to supply email addresses or phone numbers for all BASC council members so that we can contact them direct to give them are views ? They should be accessable to the membership and you surely must have other work to do .(go on you know you want to )

Edited by holloway

All I can give you is a link to the relevant part of the BASC web site: http://basc.org.uk/about-basc/council-and-constitution/basc-officers-and-council/

As to contacting Council , see here: http://basc.org.uk/about-basc/council-and-constitution/contact-us-council-enquiries/

David

I have just sent mine in and if others can do likewise please. State your thoughts and ask for answers but do it quickly time is running out

Ok so in response to contacting the council through the link I got this same std reply sent from Mark

Thank you for your email. BASC council decided on BASC's position re the General Licence consultation. Below is some back ground information on how the decision was made. As suggested on the BASC website http://basc.org.uk/blog/media/consultations/english-general-licences-consultation-have-your-say/ BASC does recommend that individuals respond directly to Natural England.

Background

There is a proposal to add feral greylag geese and mallard to general licences which deal with the specific problems of crop protection and the preservation of public health and safety. Anyone controlling these birds must comply fully with the terms of the relevant general licences and must have the full permission of the land owner or occupier.

BASCs position

BASC supports the proposal to add greylag goose to general licence GL04 to prevent serious agricultural damage or disease as it applies to breeding feral greylag geese in England. BASC recognises the potential for these birds to cause serious crop damage. BASC seeks confirmation that the breeding population of greylag geese will continue to be counted annually if this proposed change is made.

BASC supports the proposal to add greylag goose and mallard to the general licence GL05 to preserve public health and safety as it applies to breeding feral greylag geese and mallard in England. Permitted control methods would be limited to taking, damaging or destroying greylag geese and mallard nests or to take or destroy their eggs. BASC recognises the potential for these birds to impact on public health and safety. BASC seeks confirmation that the breeding populations of greylag geese and mallard will continue to be counted annually if this proposed change is made.

Context to BASCs position

In determining its position, BASC Council drew on feedback from members, the Wildfowling Liaison Committee and the Game shooting and Gamekeeping Committee and considered the following:

The proposals reflect Governments wish to cut bureaucracy as outlined in the Red Tape Challenge. We are generally in favour of a reduction in bureaucracy relating to shooting and land management.

There is already licensed control of greylags and mallard taking place.

For greylag geese in the period from 2005-2011 there were 349 licences issued to destroy up to 90,448 eggs and 457 licences to shoot or kill by injection 15,647 birds. Most of these licences were to prevent serious damage to crops or to protect air safety.

For mallard in the period from 2005-2011 there were 78 licences issued to destroy up to 32,440 eggs and 30 licences to shoot or kill by injection 2,471 birds. Most of these licences were to protect public health and air safety.

BASC does not believe that greylag geese or mallard should be viewed as pests and understands that these proposals are not about reducing the population, but about people being able to respond quickly to prevent serious problems occurring.

The population of breeding greylag geese has increased by 179% in the last 20 years and the breeding mallard population has increased by 20% in the same time period. Because control will take place during the breeding season migratory birds will not be affected. BASC is also seeking confirmation that the breeding populations of greylag geese and mallard will continue to be counted annually if the proposed changes to the relevant licences are made.

Woodpigeon can cause serious agricultural damage; and as a responsible organisation BASC needs to recognise the damage that feral greylag geese can cause to crops and the resultant impact on the farming community.

Fears for the Canada goose population were also expressed by some members ahead of that species' addition to several general licenses in England and in Wales. Those fears have not been realised, with populations continuing to grow and bag returns increasing on the foreshore.

Mark Greenhough

Wildfowling Officer

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation

Marford Mill

Rossett

Wrexham

LL12 0HL

Now it seems to me this is called "the run around" but I will again respond back to Mark at HQ

Edited by kent

Such a shame. The BASC representatives on this issue sound just like politicians. What a disgrace!

Somebody is tying their hands together in my opinion its seemingly becoming apparent, the question is who? and more importantly why?

Anser2, Penelope.Thanks for bringing me up to speed about Brent it's been a long time since I was by the seawall in Essex,

someone mentioned NE wanting rid of non native spp well Greylag and mallard are native and not FERAL

would it be possible to start an on-line petition against the GL perhaps via PW ?

Dear All

the democratically elected BASC members who make up Council have made their policy decision, and the background has been clearly explained on the BASC web site.

It can hardly be classed as disgraceful or hand tying the fact that this policy position and the reasoning behind it ,being reiterated.

Can you imagine the disorganised chaos that would result if the democratically elected Council of members decisions on policy issues were ignored or actively opposed by BASC staff?

David

Edited by David BASC

As to starting an on line petition against the GL - are you serious? Don't you understand that you can respond to the NE consultation to express your views?

Why are you ignoring the proper democratic process?

Why are you ignoring your members and coming up with the same rubbish over and over again?

At the end of the day the council members only care about getting the votes from the majority, they don't care about BASC roots and just want more votes to keep their feet under the table and their bellies full of tea and biscuits

Edited by Big Mat

Dear All

the democratically elected BASC members who make up Council have made their policy decision, and the background has been clearly explained on the BASC web site.

It can hardly be classed as disgraceful or hand tying the fact that this policy position and the reasoning behind it ,being reiterated.

Can you imagine the disorganised chaos that would result if the democratically elected Council of members decisions on policy issues were ignored or actively opposed by BASC staff?

David

It would therefore be appropriate for a Special General Meeting to be requisitioned by Members (1% of the Membership required to requisition same) in order that this Council Policy Decision be reversed. That is if there is a sufficiency of members so minded.

BASC Rules here: http://basc.org.uk/about-basc/council-and-constitution/basc-constitution/

Edited by Greymaster

At the risk of 'coming out with the same rubbish' I can only repeat what I have said - Thousands of members elect the BASC members who sit on Council, their decision has been made, and its the same decision as the other main shooting organisations.

David

As to starting an on line petition against the GL - are you serious? Don't you understand that you can respond to the NE consultation to express your views?

Why are you ignoring the proper democratic process?

I am serious ! and not aware of any process, would you mind spelling it out , also what is the democratic process for petitioning BASC

Edited by islandgun