A question about Butler creek flip up scope covers

DTS

I've just been looking at these as an alternative to the ones on my MTC mamba as I preferred the 'pop up' style ones that my hawke scope before had.

Are they really worth over a tenner per cover? So over £20 plus postage?!

Just seems a lot to me?

Thanks in advance

Dan

errm they keep the rain off the lenses of your scope?

I can't imagine what other use there could be for them.

that's all it is i think? But the hawke springs are pretty ropey, the metal MTC ones bend too easily and the richter optiks have dodgy casings that split. seems like a simple thing that's often done badly.

errm they keep the rain off the lenses of your scope?

I can't imagine what other use there could be for them.

Ok fine, thanks, 40 years I've been doing this, out in all weathers including the worst storms this country has thrown at us, and struggle to remember any time when I have not been able to keep my scope lens dry.

Thanks, something I can live without then!

:good:

Keeps lens clean from knocks,grit and dirt.

..again, all weathers, all condition and over many years, perhaps I just take more care than others.

Thanks for the info, when I have had them..FREE... with some scopes, never found a use, actually just a pain!

My opinion, simple as, good luck to everyone who finds them useful! :good:

..again, all weathers, all condition and over many years, perhaps I just take more care than others.

Thanks for the info, when I have had them..FREE... with some scopes, never found a use, actually just a pain!

My opinion, simple as, good luck to everyone who finds them useful! :good:

Me too, I've got a set in a drawer somewhere, never found a need for em,

The op can have if he wants( pm me if you want mate)can't remember what size they are, they came with a set of night eaters,

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

I cannot imagine how one might shoot in a lot of conditions without rain covers, they also prevent misting over as you wait with cold glass in certain atmospheres. The problem is they have changed something in the composition of the plastic and now many of them don't / wont stay closed reliably.

IMO covers are like windscreen wipers and the demist setting on your car

Same as that. I only use them when it is tipping down, otherwise I don't need them.

I would like to know how those who don't use them and shoot in the rain carry their rifles?

If I spent a couple minutes cleaning and de-misting my scope before taking a shot I wouldn't shoot much.

Same as that. I only use them when it is tipping down, otherwise I don't need them.

I would like to know how those who don't use them and shoot in the rain carry their rifles?

If I spent a couple minutes cleaning and de-misting my scope before taking a shot I wouldn't shoot much.

Easy, carry it straight rather than over your shoulder, I do most of the time anyway.

Can't remember the last time my scope misted up in any weather.

Like I have said, if people find a need for these then fine, I don't! :good:

I cannot imagine how one might shoot in a lot of conditions without rain covers, they also prevent misting over as you wait with cold glass in certain atmospheres. The problem is they have changed something in the composition of the plastic and now many of them don't / wont stay closed reliably.

IMO covers are like windscreen wipers and the demist setting on your car

How many years is it since windscreen wipers and demisters were extras and not even offered as an option by most original manufacturers?

If you want to let your scope lens get cold or wet and then breath on it to mist it up fine, some of us don't!

Edited by Dekers

I guess we may be talking at cross purposes, I assume you are talking about an air rifle (which was the OPs question, in all fairness)

I am talking about powder guns, and I am sure neither of us would carry one of those straight in the field.

I am talking about all my rifles.

If I'm in the field "working", the gun is carried straight(ish), if I'm ambling around, on route to a location, etc., it would normally be shouldered, and if I am ambling around in a rain storm I shelter every part of the gun I possibly can, not just the scope lens! :good:

Like I have said, if people find a need for these then fine, I don't! :good:

Edited by Dekers

good idea for range shooting poor quality last lot the flip up hinge lasted about 4 outings in the field I just use bog standard covers when gun stowed away now to protect from dust etc. as in upright position in cabinet