is this normal wear for a moderator

beesley121

Well this is a brand new rifle and it's not been out much, prob less than 10 times but I like to paper punch.

I clean it after each outing and it's left on the radiator to dry. This is because my rifle is still bleeding in so that too is clean after every outing.

So that make it even worse that it deteriorated already

I've read there a warranty on these sak, is that true

Yes there is a warranty on the moderator, I think Jacksonrrifles will charge you 60% less of the normal costs but what's the point if it's just going to burn out again. Get a moderator that is made for 17hmr not something that is made for 22lr and seems to be ok with 17hmr because that obviously don't work....SAK? Sack that!

Paul

mine on my hmr never gets cleaned and had thousands of rounds through it but it dont look like that....

I suspect its single shots v range use. With each shot the metals retain heat and the next rises the temp still further. I never cleaned my SAK on the HMR I had either and it was fine after in excess of that

Obviously a lot of different views on the SAK here, the fact is Jacksons give it a lifetime replacement warranty (see their website) and also rate it at 10,000 rounds on a HMR.

My Sirocco melted after about 2000 rounds on my HMR, things happen, my SAK on my .22WMR (more energy) is about 4000 rounds down the line, used almost exclusively with Hornady 30 g V-Max at 2200 ft sec and 320 ft lb and looks like new internally!

:yes::good:

its not knackered unless it is not making the shot quieter, is catching bullets or is altering the POI

it just wont be as effective as the holes get bigger

but as the gas cutting is predominantly going to be the nearest baffle hole you wont see a major drop in noise attenuation until the cutting moves up towards the last baffle

for £35 you should treat them as disposable anyway

if you want to protect against gas cutting you need stainless and it comes at a cost and weight

stop opening it to look at the hole and replace when it either gets a lot louder or affects accuracy

its not knackered unless it is not making the shot quieter, is catching bullets or is altering the POI

it just wont be as effective as the holes get bigger

but as the gas cutting is predominantly going to be the nearest baffle hole you wont see a major drop in noise attenuation until the cutting moves up towards the last baffle

for £35 you should treat them as disposable anyway

if you want to protect against gas cutting you need stainless and it comes at a cost and weight

stop opening it to look at the hole and replace when it either gets a lot louder or affects accuracy

Ah, sense at last !

Are we all looking at the same picture ? The hole is oval because it is cut into an angled face, and the part that looks like a jagged edge is actually part of a baffle behind the hole. Metal that goes to such a sharp edge is going to get bent over or eroded, but the moderator looks safe to me, no case of " firing HMR into a mod full of shrapnel".