391 urika chokes

pointon242

Bought a used urika 1 at the weekend from a local delear. Great condition and came with the hard case, manual and 4 chokes.

Heres the confusing part, the manual is for the xtrema 2 and states it uses optima plus chokes.

I have 3 that are marked optima plus in full, improved modified and cylinder. Now theres also what looks like a mobil choke in improved modified, this is going off beretta choke comparison pics on google, and judging by those pictures the optima plus is identical to the mobil apart from the flush optima tubes arent really flush fitting.

All the chokes fit the barrel, does anyone know if the optima plus and mobil are interchangable?

Bought a used urika 1 at the weekend from a local delear. Great condition and came with the hard case, manual and 4 chokes.

Heres the confusing part, the manual is for the xtrema 2 and states it uses optima plus chokes.

I have 3 that are marked optima plus in full, improved modified and cylinder. Now theres also what looks like a mobil choke in improved modified, this is going off beretta choke comparison pics on google, and judging by those pictures the optima plus is identical to the mobil apart from the flush optima tubes arent really flush fitting.

All the chokes fit the barrel, does anyone know if the optima plus and mobil are interchangable?

The Urika 391 uses Optima chokes. They are longer than Mobil, they can't both fit the same barrel. :hmm::hmm::hmm:

My 391 was fitted with mobil

I stand corrected if that is the case, I have an early 391 Urika and mine is Optima, I was not aware they made any with mobil, :hmm::hmm: my 303 was mobil and I believe the 390 was mobil, my understanding was it changed to optima and optima plus on the 391 Urika . Whichever way you want to look at it they are not directly interchangeable and do not look identical, so I'm struggling to understand how both apparently fit the OP's barrel!

As a matter of interest does anyone else have a 391 Urika with mobil chokes?

Edited by Dekers

I think that you may find that the 391 field model has the standard mobil chokes whilst the 391 'sporter' has the Optima chokes. I have seen and owned both variations.

I think this is getting confusing, mine is a Game/field gun and has Optima Plus!

After finding this thread: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=112042&start=15

It appears that the optima plus do infact fit in the mobil barrels as is seen in the 5th post on that page but they dont sit flush, they look like extended chokes and obviously arent designed for the bore of the mobil barrels.

Good job i only used the mobil choke in the gun on sunday

Edited by pointon242

Mobil chokes have the same threading as Optima Plus and will screw in but a Mobil ¼ choke is 10 thou constriction from the usual Mobil bore size of .726. Optima bore size is .732 so it will be more like ½ choke in the Optima Plus barrel. Obviously the opposite is the case when putting Optina Plus chokes into a Mobil barrel. Either way it doesn't strike me as a good idea and I wouldn't fit incorrect chokes into a shotgun.

Beretta O/Us are stamped on the barrels with the bore type and I'd recommend looking for the marks, if none then drop in to your nearest RFD and have the bore measured.