Oak /Chestnut trees

steve_b_wales

For many years, my son and I collected acorns and chestnuts, and planted them in pots. Once they were about a year old and starting to grow to around 6 inches, we gave them to farmers/landowners to plant on their grounds. An estimated guess is that we 'planted' around 450 trees over a period of 4 years.

Since my son passed away 11 years ago,aged 14, I have continued this tradition, and have passed on many trees to be planted. But now, the people who had the trees off me, no longer have any space left to plant them. I don't want to plant them on common ground etc, as the local yobs would take great pleasure in breaking them or they would get burnt when they set the mountain on fire.

I have some trees here in my garden that should have been planted out at least 2 years ago. One of them is around 2ft high. It will continue to grow upwards, but cannot spread it's roots.

Does anyone know what I can do with these trees? I can't post them to anyone owning to the awkward shape of them.

I live in the Mid Glamorgan area (S Wales).

Any help or advice would be appreciated,

Thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes a Mentalmac says, what a lovely thing to do. We also grow trees and as well as oaks, chestnuts etc, we have grown a number of conifers from cones collected here, including Monterey Pines.

The hardwoods could well be a valuable asset - some of our chestnuts have some sort of bark disease and I gather that there is a problem affecting oaks but not here at least yet.

It is depressing to see the litany of diseases that are affecting trees, dutch elm, larch, ash - the list is unending. As a counter, we have found a healthy elm here, with many seedlings, so maybe there is some hope.....

Anyone who gets your saplings will be lucky indeed - they deserve to go to good homes

ATB

How many have you got Steve?

I've got around 15, although 6-7 will be kept to grow until next year. The largest two are Chestnut. I have some Oak trees, but they are small at the moment.

EDIT: I'll put photo's of the Trees in the Sporting Pictures section.

Link: http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/283463-chestnut-oak-trees/

I've been doing the same since I was a kid. Started with growing loads of oaks. I eventually ended up growing beech, ash, field maple, horse chestnut, birch, goat willow, rowan, hornbeam, wych elm, english elm, wild cherry, etc.

I grew loads of them and I planted some of them on a local small shoot, and some on another farm where my dad has been going for decades and I've been going since I could walk. It really helped get me interested in wildlife conservation, and it wouldn't have happened without shooting.

As a counter, we have found a healthy elm here, with many seedlings, so maybe there is some hope.....

Only one? We have quite a lot up here in this part of North Yorkshire. I've grown a load of wych elm from seed in the past and a handful of english elm from cuttings from a hedge outside the village.

Guest rimotu66

Steve,

I am not sure if this is practical but is there any way of setting up a relay type system? I would love to take one and plant it in a quiet part of Lincolnshire where it would be able to grow without risk. If anyone can collect one from you and take it a distance away to someone else who takes it a distance,,,, you with me?

If we could do that we could plant little Oaks in your sons memory all over the UK.

Just a thought. :)

Edited by rimotu66

Steve,

I am not sure if this is practical but is there any way of setting up a relay type system? I would love to take one and plant it in a quiet part of Lincolnshire where it would be able to grow without risk. If anyone can collect one from you and take it a distance away to someone else who takes it a distance,,,, you with me?

If we could do that we could plants in your sons memory all over the UK.

Just a thought. :)

Yes, it's a good idea, but where do we start? I will try our local council again and ask if they want some Chestnut trees, or, if they know someone who will gladly accept them.

I would post the tree if I could find something suitable to wrap and protect it in.

Guest rimotu66

I would drive over to collect one but as a lot of people I have to watch fuel etc, could we set up a 50 mile radius and anyone interested could meet half way so only 50 miles covered each, then the next 50 mile radius and so on, I would gladly travel to Peterborough, Nottingham, Sheffield etc.

Having just re-read what I said there I know it seems a bit long winded, as I said Steve, just a thought.

Yes, it's a good idea, but where do we start? I will try our local council again and ask if they want some Chestnut trees, or, if they know someone who will gladly accept them.

I would post the tree if I could find something suitable to wrap and protect it in.

I have trees planted in my daughters memory and would love to add to them, if you have any over in the winter please send them to me bare rooted by carrier and i will pay carriage, great practical lasting memory of your son mate, ATB

Steve my dad has a very large elm growing out side his front gate and some years the amount of seeds that drop are hard to believe, he always pots a few, if this year proves good I'll post you some seeds down, it'd be nice to spread them around a bit

Lots of nurseries etc pack & post trees - put damp roots in a little soil into a plastic bag and lightly tie tree to a cane and cover in bubble wrap, a polythene tree shelter or similar and put in a jiffy bag or wrap in brown paper & tape and then post - it works pretty well.

OK there is work involved but hopefully the lucky recipients of your precious trees will either reimburse you or, if you wish, make a donation to a suitable charity.

It is just an idea but it would be lovely if the labours of love could spread out and be enjoyed across the country.....

Lots of nurseries etc pack & post trees - put damp roots in a little soil into a plastic bag and lightly tie tree to a cane and cover in bubble wrap, a polythene tree shelter or similar and put in a jiffy bag or wrap in brown paper & tape and then post - it works pretty well.

OK there is work involved but hopefully the lucky recipients of your precious trees will either reimburse you or, if you wish, make a donation to a suitable charity.

It is just an idea but it would be lovely if the labours of love could spread out and be enjoyed across the country.....

At this time of year it'd have to be in the pot, through the winter when the tree is dormant it can be posted ' bare root'

Steve my dad has a very large elm growing out side his front gate and some years the amount of seeds that drop are hard to believe, he always pots a few, if this year proves good I'll post you some seeds down, it'd be nice to spread them around a bit

Thanks Paul, that would be great.

I have trees planted in my daughters memory and would love to add to them, if you have any over in the winter please send them to me bare rooted by carrier and i will pay carriage, great practical lasting memory of your son mate, ATB

I'll get some sorted for you in the next few months. Thank you.

I can plant them in my wood Steve - I have planted over 30 thousand hardwood trees there so far

James

Hi James. I'll sort a few out for you and will be in touch in a few months time.

Thank You.

Sorry for your loss steve, what a great traditiom to have kept.

Would gladly plant one at a special location in scotland if the relay idea is taken. Atb gordon

Hi Gordon, I'll sort a tree out in the next few months and get it sent to you.

Thank You.

what a great and lovely idea,

we are just buying 20 acres down in cornwall, and will be adding some new hedges and trees…so if you have any left, i would be more than happy to keep this tradition going,

we are in devon at the moment

Edited by jasper3

Sorry for your loss, what a wonderful tradition and an equally wonderful choice of tree

""A society grows great when men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.""

A marvelous proverb, with many meanings, thanks for that IG