Tips for job interview

chady

Hi.

Well I'm as happy as Larry!!!!!

Got a interview!

Now I'm not really used to having interviews as never really needed them!

And last one I didn't get the job! I felt it went okish.

But have any of you got any tips or advice on what to do and Handel a interview?

As I would really like this job and is important to me??

Please help.

I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks

Jamie

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dress smart, be positive and sell yourself , but dont talk to much, people tend to do that when nervous

Research the company who are giving you the interview so you dont go in blind, If the company know you have put some time and effort in researching them shows your serious

All just my opinion of course

Be yourself and good luck hope you get the job :)

A bit more info on what it is would be helpful but just a few general tips;

Read up about the company and have some questions ready which relate to both the company and your place in it.

Keep good eye contact - it gives an honest impression.

Make sure you can respond quickly and effectively to questions about your experience and competence.

Dont overegg yourself, it looks arrogant and is straying into the realms of fantasy and the interviewer will know that.

Be on time.

Be smart but not done up like a dogs dinner.

Shake hands first and on conclusion in a friendly manner - even if the interviewer doesnt offer first but dont be pushy.

Employment is moving v quickly up so if you are in demand dont give the impression you will take anything.

Dont kiss his secretary on the way out if you get the job !!!!

Good luck.

Guest rimotu66

Have you ever watched Train Spotting, there is a guy on there who went for a job interview, I suggest you do not do what he did :lol:

Good luck :good:

Thanks

It's for a construction company in the QS department.

I'll be on the booking in side as the company (like most) pays price work.

What sort of questions should I have think of to ask at the interview? As I've read a lot of people saying this?

And how do you sell your self? As herd this mentioned before?

Thanks for your help I really don't want to mess this up!

Jamie

No I won't lol

Have you ever watched Train Spotting, there is a guy on there who went for a job interview, I suggest you do not do what he did :lol:

Good luck :good:

A bit more info on what it is would be helpful but just a few general tips;

Read up about the company and have some questions ready which relate to both the company and your place in it.

Keep good eye contact - it gives an honest impression.

Make sure you can respond quickly and effectively to questions about your experience and competence.

Dont overegg yourself, it looks arrogant and is straying into the realms of fantasy and the interviewer will know that.

Be on time.

Be smart but not done up like a dogs dinner.

Shake hands first and on conclusion in a friendly manner - even if the interviewer doesnt offer first but dont be pushy.

Employment is moving v quickly up so if you are in demand dont give the impression you will take anything.

Dont kiss his secretary on the way out if you get the job !!!!

Good luck.

Thanks!!

I take it that's what you did to the secretary at your interview

Thanks

I'll be on the booking in side as the company (like most) pays price work.

What sort of questions should I have think of to ask at the interview? As I've read a lot of people saying this?

- What are the most challenging aspects of the job?

- Is this a new position/How long has this position existed?

- What are the most important things you look for in a member of your team/department?

- What sort of opportunities are there for advancement within the company?

And how do you sell your self? As herd this mentioned before?

Jamie

No I won't lol

I used a couple of them corporate kinda questions along with some more technical ones related to the job.

Edited by Cyrus1988

The other thing going round my head is.

Salary - excellent salary package available (or something like that)

So I know what is coming!!

What's salary would you expect?

Now I know I'm not the only one to be interview

So don't want to out price my self but all so don't want to undercut my self?

How do you deal with the above question?

Thanks jamie

Thanks

Have you any experience of Contractors QS work or is this a position involving training and you are going into it blind ?

I'll be on the booking in side as the company (like most) pays price work. Sounds like that you will be dealing with Labour only subcontractors mainly ?

What sort of questions should I have think of to ask at the interview? As I've read a lot of people saying this? Ask if the subcontractors are generally from a nucleus of company approved subbies, in which case they may have along standing relationship with the contractor or if they are let on a purley commercial basis. This may affect the way the company treats them.

Ask if the priced work has been premeasured by the Companies QS before agreement with the subcontractor and if there is a re-measurement control document like a bill of quants.

Ask about the frequency of payments to the subcontractor and what their income tax status is generally

Ask about on going CPD and training... if your not already a member of the CIOB I suggest you join even as a student or licentiate member and tell your employer you intend to do so.. I would be happy to endorse your application if necessary

And how do you sell your self? As herd this mentioned before? Just be as natural as possible, Most contractors managers will smell bull**** a mile off . If you are keen to get the job, tell them that you are keen to work for them, keen to progress, keen to do the best you can for the company and tell them at the very end that if you were offered the position you would be of benefit to the company and that they wouldn't regret it. Often the final things said in an interview are those most remembered.

Good luck

Jamie

No I won't lol

The other thing going round my head is.

Salary - excellent salary package available (or something like that)

So I know what is coming!!

What's salary would you expect?

Now I know I'm not the only one to be interview

So don't want to out price my self but all so don't want to undercut my self?

How do you deal with the above question?

Thanks jamie

Be honest, what do you realistically need to earn for the job to be worthwhile? It's no good pitching low to secure the job if you then find you can't afford to stay, but on the other hand don't be greedy. Can you research similar positions elsewhere so you know the going rate? If you interview well and they like what you have to offer, I doubt that they would go for the next placed candidate instead just because he was willing to take a grand or two a year less.

Edited by Blunderbuss

I had interview nearly three years back I was sxxxxxx my self thought I'd have no chance, went in suited and booted I'm a shorts and tee shirt guy had a few hours learning about them ( worlds largest power rentall company) went in and was honest the interview lasted three hours ,came out went home and thought I'd here nowt , scanned emails and was invited for a second interview well shocked, went the following week new shirt and tie answered more questions and asked if I had any questions for them I said I won't ask about holidays and pay as this was in the original advert but would like to know wot type of person are you looking for , this one lasted two hours offered me position there and then never looked back love the job ,good luck not that you will need it have faith and be your self

When asked the pay question, you could say you'd like to see an increase on your last job to show you're career is moving in the right direction, you don't have to name an exact figure at this stage- makes them feel you are moving there for Long term.

Just be yourself, don't force out any question because you've read that you should say it, ask questions that you want to know about and be interested in them, theyll know if you are just repeating stuff off the net and realt cliche interview questions. just relax and enjoy it. Talk about your experience and relate things your strengths and how what you have learnt will help with the job they are advertising.

If they ask your weaknesses, don't panic - just say one thing and then how you've learnt to overcome it and how you worked on it.

they only want to hear one thing, and that is how you are going to justify your salary......make them understand you know how to make savings and how YOU will make money, it will cost them money for them to employ you.......make sure you put over that you are commercially minded

its a brutal world.........companies are run by accountants...they look at the bottom line .......

think of a way that you can increase their profit or do something that will save money....and you dont have to penny pinch to save money

think MONEY

best of luck

they only want to hear one thing, and that is how you are going to justify your salary......make them understand you know how to make savings and how YOU will make money, it will cost them money for them to employ you.......make sure you put over that you are commercially minded

its a brutal world.........companies are run by accountants...they look at the bottom line .......

think of a way that you can increase their profit or do something that will save money....and you dont have to penny pinch to save money

think MONEY

best of luck

I don't agree with that with respect..I've interviewed plenty of potential young surveyors for Construction jobs over the years...The money side will be dictated by the market place. The OP shouldn't get too hung up on the salary element as it will be competitive for the position on offer.

Far better for the OP to suggest that he doesn't think final negotiation of terms would be an impediment to his accepting an offer in principle. Lets get him on the pitch first and then he can score some goals. :good:

You'd like a salary increase as you believe you add value to their business but will base your decision on the full package - salary, role, team, company, possibilities for the future and not just a number.

Best question I ever heard...

Thanks for your time, I appreciate you meeting me and would like to ask if there's anything we've discussed that would give you reservations about offering me this role?

Gives a chance to resolve any concerns.