12 gauge fox loads?

get some fiocchi 52g 3# use them in my hatstand all the time for foxs with half choke

i just bought some of those.. not used them yet but im pretty sure they will do the job :)

was using 50g gamebore before that and they worked fine

My hatsan patterned hoplessly when using the gamebore's through 1/2 and 3/4 chokes.

Express were a heap of **** if you ask me, had 4 in 10 shots where the plastic wad would jam it's self half way down the barrel.

Fiocchi 52g bb's gave me good results but my favourite are deffinetely the RC 50g no.2's and bb's had kills with these out to 60yards through 1/2 choke. My fathers had great kils out to 50yards using the RC 40's. Great foxing cartridges you ask me, could not recomend enough, tad on the expensive side at £6 for 10, but i love them so i buy them!!!

I recomend anyone who has'nt tried them to give them a go

nice pic underdog! what call were you using? I will pop down the gun shop this weekend and see what they've got.

I use the palm of my hand mostly but this feller was in love and his brains were in the end of his whotsit! :whistling: . I just intercepted his circular route listening to his barking etc.

Guest cookoff013

what ever you use, make sure its big shot.

even if its going slow, its going to do some damage. classic shells are 36g #4 or 2.

if you can handle it, 42g BB. will be good, shells like that dont even need to be going fast to do the justice.

Express were a heap of **** if you ask me, had 4 in 10 shots where the plastic wad would jam it's self half way down the barrel.

Seriously? You need to get the gun looked at or test the Express in another gun. I use them a lot and never had a problem.

Fox loads in semi`s depending on chamber length, but probably 3", 42gm no 3, 2 or 1`s up to 50/52 gm 1`s or possibly BB`s. Winchester XXX magnum 2`s (american) are a cracking load, only bettered by the 3 1/2" magnum 64? gm

Edited by henry d

I use Eley Alphamax usually - 42g BB, or the last box I got were 46g BB.

You can occasionally get 'old' goose shells (from before the lead ban). I managed to pick up a box of SAGA 50g No.3 a while back, and they are devastating on foxes.

Edit : also a bit brutal on the shoulder in a lightweight game O/U

Edited by robbiep

After having swings to super magnums and all sorts I don't think BB and No.1 can be bettered in about 42 grm Lead. Its important to test your patterns though and select you choke and range accordingly. You do ideally want the fox side on and under 35 yards

36g - 42g BB/AAA will do the trick within sensible ranges for most situations, when I was a member of a beagle hunt in Cornwall most of the guys used AAA or BB to great affect with a few of us using 9 pellet SG close in and 2 of us always carried 66g 4's just in case as we both had 3.5 inch chambered guns although they kick like hell.

The ideal is to pick a few loads and pattern your gun at the ranges you will be lightly to be shooting at and then settle on one or two that give you a good pattern at those ranges.

36g - 42g BB/AAA will do the trick within sensible ranges for most situations, when I was a member of a beagle hunt in Cornwall most of the guys used AAA or BB to great affect with a few of us using 9 pellet SG close in and 2 of us always carried 66g 4's just in case as we both had 3.5 inch chambered guns although they kick like hell.

The ideal is to pick a few loads and pattern your gun at the ranges you will be lightly to be shooting at and then settle on one or two that give you a good pattern at those ranges.

+1. I also plan to try some American O Buck [0.320" or about 8mm dia] for close range. What ever you use, like the above post said, you must pattern it at the ranges you will be shooting at.

What's the point in using SG for close range foxes? Surely you'd be better off with, say, 32gm 5. I think SG are a bit of a pointless shot size for general use.

Guest cookoff013

What's the point in using SG for close range foxes? Surely you'd be better off with, say, 32gm 5. I think SG are a bit of a pointless shot size for general use.

yeah, i agree, i think #4 buckshot is the biggest i`d ever go, some handloads print orange size patterns at 30yards with SG.

but thats a whole lot of effort !

Guest stevo

Well I have been using 3.5 in 60 odd gram buckshot loads for yrs . Found them to be devastating out to 50 yds .. head on or side on . As long as you get your bead on them ... sorted! ! And as motty has said and rightly so . A good # 5 game cartridge will sort a fox out to all sensible ranges . Foxes are not as tough as most people think . After all most of them are nothing more than a scrawny dog . But like has been said repeatedly YOU NEED TO PATTERN YOUR GUN its the only way to work your gun and just as importantly YOUR Own capabilities .

Just my opinion.

Stevo

I feel a 3 1/2" heavy lead load or shot sizes above BB are more a perceived need than a real one personally. All you have to do is get into the ribcage of a creature twice as big as a Hare, I tested 63 grm of lead BB in a super magnum a while and it killed foxes but no better than 42 grm of number 1 in a 3" magnum. BB and number 1 is simply devastating and penetrates well enough, indeed no3 is quite popular and was the favoured choice of many when 2 1/2" 12 ga were the common gun. My neighbour has used a 2 1/2" gun with the local gunpack successfully for over 60 years and has maybe killed more foxes than all of us put together with that shotgun, in fact come to think of it he says he was given it by his mentor after the war when like many the chap could not face any more shooting and killing

IMHO - The 63gm load has its use when sat out or up a high seat and a fox is just in, or on the edge of, cover so you cannot use the rifle.

Shot bigger than BB less useful unless the fox is behind a closed door, then you need big shot or a lad from Burnley. :lol: Big problem with big shot is over-penetration and not depositing enough energy in the animal to kill it instantly/quickly.

Guest cookoff013

bb or #4 buck is a great start actually.

i`ve even heard the Americans using target style buckshot loads.... ie 7/8oz of #4 buckshot stacked in the 4x4x4x4 (16 pellets) and having good results.