Anybody do martial arts/boxing/MMA

Afternoon all, I'm having a bit of a lifestyle change at the min, those who follow the PW fat thread will know I've lost 3 stone in the last 13 weeks on the Atkins diet, I'm getting out on my mountain bike a lot more and hopefully doing the coast to Coast ride next year but in the mean time I'm looking at joining some form of self defence/martial arts club.

Primarily the reason is for fitness but I want to enjoy what I'm doing and would also like to learn to look after myself better. I'm not after dropping anyone who looks at me funny but in this day and age with so many idiots who like to go out and look for a fight for no reason it would be nice that the discipline I'm learning could be used to defend myself in real world situations.

A mate of mine does boxing but from what he's said its more physical training than actual boxing which I understand is part of it but I'm after more of the craft side than the fitness side. So is there any on here who do any forms of self defence who can offer advice, I'd like to hear from you.

ATB 425

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend Tang Soo Do. It's a good combination of physical excercise followed by stretches then a graduated session of foot, hand and self defence techniques. It's a good all round discipline.

I started at the age of 61 and have green belt now, and I've won some competition trophies too.

There's various Associations and it's the World Tang Soo Do Association that I belong to.

Edited by KFC

A mix of Muay Thai and Brazilian Ju-Jitsu.

If you look at any major MMA organisation; UFC, Bellator, Cage Warriors etc, you'll see the top guys are using Muay Thai for stand up and BJJ on the ground. Some would probably say that wrestling is more important than BJJ but you wouldn't learn any kind of chokes, arm bars and leg locks.

I use to do both until I moved last year and can't find a gym close enough. I've done Muay Thai for 6 years and BJJ for 5 and had a MMA fight. Don't get sucked into the Akido/Karate stuff, if it really worked that well the top guys would be using it.

Edited by Cyrus1988

A good MMA club will give a rounded over view of techniques which actually work

And will Taylor tuition to your requirements

MMA is what it says mixed martial (fighting) arts, go to a club to get a feel the better ones will welcome newcomers and approach it as a sport rather than a fight, most MMA practitioners will do everything they can to avoid a fight that's not a contest

Boxing & striking are very good but you couldn't spar hard all day jujitsu on the other hand is something you could do for a prolonged period, karate is great for technique & with most clubs being semi contact it's not to hard on the body

Hope this helps

. Don't get sucked into the Akido/Karate stuff, if it really worked that well the top guys would be using it.

I'm sorry I have to disagree

Kyoto machida

Bas rutten

Guy mezger

George st pierre

Rory Markham

Sam Greco

And the list could go on

All are highly trained or been heavily involved in some form of karate and most are MMA / UFC linked

:)

Edited by fruity

I'm sorry I have to disagree

Kyoto machida

Bas rutten

Guy mezger

George st pierre

Rory Markham

Sam Greco

All are highly trained or been heavily involved in some form of karate and most are MMA / UFC linked

:)

That's true but they don't just rely on karate alone. GSP is probably one of the greatest fighters of all time and he does have a background in karate but he mixes it with wrestling/Ju-Jitsu/Boxing/Thai.

Lyoto Machida use of karate is amazing and for a while nobody could figure out how to get around it. But he's kinda been figured out now, watch the Shogun and Jones fights and you'll see what I mean.

A mix of Muay Thai and Brazilian Ju-Jitsu.

If you look at any major MMA organisation; UFC, Bellator, Cage Warriors etc, you'll see the top guys are using Muay Thai for stand up and BJJ on the ground. Some would probably say that wrestling is more important than BJJ but you wouldn't learn any kind of chokes, arm bars and leg locks.

I use to do both until I moved last year and can't find a gym close enough. I've done Muay Thai for 6 years and BJJ for 5 and had a MMA fight. Don't get sucked into the Akido/Karate stuff, if it really worked that well the top guys would be using it.

Yeah cos chuck lidel, GSP, lyoto macheta and countless others are not all karate black belts..... Not

I agree it is not a one discipline does it all fighting style but some of its techniques have their place in MMA ...... So don't get sucked into believing one fight disyplyn will cover all and be open minded enough to consider all styles can give us valuable techniques

Dam beaten to the punch by fruity lol

Edited by kennym

Yeah cos chuck lidel, GSP, lyoto macheta and countless others are not all karate black belts..... Not

I agree it is not a one discipline does it all fighting style but some of its techniques have their place in MMA ...... So don't get sucked into believing one fight disyplyn will cover all and be open minded enough to consider all styles can give us valuable techniques

Dam beaten to the punch by fruity lol

I totally agree. As Bruce Lee said:

“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.”

However, as a starting point and a good base, train Muay Thai and BJJ.

Edited by Cyrus1988

Thanks for the link Cyrus, I'm going to ring tomorrow and arrange a taster lesson. They do 3 different types of training which sounds really good to have a mixture. Do you go to the gym their ?

No bother mate, nah I live down in Oxfordshire so a bit far for me.

Thanks for the quick reply KFC. I'll look into it this afternoon. Elby can you elaborate a bit more on Maui Thai please. ATB 425

It's "the science of 8 limbs" so not only a good full body work out but also nasty if needed.

Agree with the mixture of jujitsu though.

Great stand up & groundwork makes you hard to beat

It's "the science of 8 limbs" so not only a good full body work out but also nasty if needed.

Agree with the mixture of jujitsu though.

Great stand up & groundwork makes you hard to beat

Ha I know what you mean 8 striking points but unless your a spider 8 limbs,..... thats impossible,

Got to 1st Kyu in Wado Ryu Karate when I was much younger, and captained the team which won the Tera Karate Kai Nationals in Birmingham back in 1982 or somewhere around there. Was also Chojinkai N. England junior club champion for 3 consecutive years, and made the semi finals of the Cumbrian Open where there were 800 individual competitors. It was all just sport karate however, with not much in the way of practical effectiveness, but I had my moments. :) It all turned to **** when I got injured unfortunately. Lived and breathed it for years.Too old now, and the only time I do the splits nowadays is when there's snow outside.

Son does some form of Ju-Jitsu/ Aikido which is very practical and has proved to be very effective when needed.

For longevity I would blend hard and soft styles. Boxing and karate have quick learning curves and good for fitness but you don't see many old. people doing them. Aikido and jujitsu are similar in many ways, at least the schools I trained in were but learning curves are much slower, I don't think you get halfway good without 3 years or so but you do get older people training so you can go on longer than your boxing training would. Then when you get older still if you still like the dojo you could move on to tai chi.

Well its well behind me now, my best advice is practice sprinting (you cant beat the stuffing out of something you cant catch :lol: ). I am quite serious about that BTW. I started Judo when I was a little nipper, then other stuff later on in my teens but I also boxed and can tell you if any boxer of reasonable weight gives you a one two your not getting up in a hurry and as has been demonstrated can kill even all gloved up in the ring.

I had an interesting chat with an old college a year or two back (this guy is ex-forces and teaches just about everything under the sun at his MA schools) he admitted quite candidly that put many of his top students up against a handy lad from the streets with plenty experience in a real life situations and the student will likely get pasted, so he concentrates on teaching the stuff that looks cool . So heed the advice learn to run :good:

Being brought up in the wrong household I was taught never to run and survived through the skin of my teeth at times, I shouldn't carry so many scars and old injuries if I had run coz I was very fast on my feet indeed. Of course you also run the risk of a long prison term and permanent loss of your sport if you decide to stand and fight it out and your not going to win against some guys without being prepared to do anything before they get the chance.

A slight tangent to the thread if I may - what do people recommend for self defence that doesn't take a whole life time of practice to get good at? Not exactly quick and dirty, but I don't have time to go to Japan and study under a master for 40 years...! :s

Cheers.

Edited by sandspider