a lovely weekends hunt

camokid

hi all

well i had a lovely weekend in between the showers lol .. first trip out was to a farm that i have not been to for a while it tends to be a tad long with the grasses this time of year but i thought id pop over see what was about . i had taken the 243 for the deer and fox if it was to show.. as soon as i got there i was met with three foot grass everywhere it was going to be hard work in the warm weather...

i crept along the hedge row keeping a eye out over the field hoping to see movement then right in front of me two doe's jumped out not 20 yards away .. it was nice to watch them bound over the grass like a pair of springbok ..

i continued along the cover to a point where it opens to another field i had a quick peak around the corner and there was a flash of a ginger hump i reversed two foot got the rifle on the sticks poked back around the corner and nothing.. ????? what ever was there must have clocked me and vanished i waited 10 minutes and decided it must have been a fox in the long grass and he had now gone..

i followed the edge of that field right around till i was near enough back to where i had spotted that fox.. would you believe it it was a buck bright as anything a lovely orange summer coat. but unfortunately he was well aware i was there and leaped into action and made the field in about 3 seconds... i was gutted and kicked my self i didn't give it longer when i first spotted the orange rump..

i decided to look for him but that didn't pay off... it was two hours later when i bumped into him again he appeared i good distance away but i was not sure on the shot as he was covered up a lot so i decided to get in closer .. it was hard and a trying stalk but i had made enough ground on him to take my shot.. i stood up and redyed the gun he was watcher me and was twitchy i waited till he had calmed and took my shot down he went...

he was a nice young buck four point and had the best coat i had seen.. light was fading so a quick sort out and in the car we where...

2uzqxi1.jpg

this is the end result... it takes abit of time but well worth the efforts the meat will be very good from this stunning young buck

24mtfep.jpg

my second trip was i sit out for the fox i had spotted in the week.. the fox was on a young corn field just moocing but it didn't want to come in closer and i was under gunned with a hmr at 300 yards so he lived for another day i was there at 7 till 11 and nothing he obviously didn't want to play so i thought i would push on and head to another farm to look over the sheep ... i parked up got the rifle ready and headed to the field i had the little but mighty t20 sat on the tikka i scanned around and there was a fox feeding in the cattle trays but i could not take the shot due to houses in the background..

i walked passed the sheep and into the top right corner where i had a safe shot i put the lamp back on to find eyes every where there where cubs also feeding in the trays this same behavior a few years ago landed me 8 foxes in two hours... i took three shots and dropped three foxes i will be heading back in the week to look for adults

2gv3cj6.jpg

many thanks andy...

Nice write up, lots of suspense in that one :-). Haha I wish I had some stalking, I only have rabbits to Persue and have scone bored of taking them at distances so far they don't notice me, so ending up sneaking in close just for the fun.

Nice looking knife..., like the hacksaw in the picture too, do you use that with most meals?

Nice write up, lots of suspense in that one :-). Haha I wish I had some stalking, I only have rabbits to Persue and have scone bored of taking them at distances so far they don't notice me, so ending up sneaking in close just for the fun.

Nice looking knife..., like the hacksaw in the picture too, do you use that with most meals?

yes use the saw with all meals especially soup lol took me a long time to get good stalking but once you have it others come along .. ta

Nice Buck Andy and a good night on the Charlie's!

Well done bud.

Speak Soon.

im sure there's more mark pretty sure there was two litters in the old allotment one i took last week hitting 6

ta terry .. you have been getting out a lot recently .. have you been buying flowers.. lol lol

:lol: Been a few time lately mostly rabbits with the Regal :) been a few night foxing 7 last week 1 last night . Darran bought the flowers i did try my best to say they where from me but she was not having that. :lol::lol: she ain't daft :lol: atb Terry

Glad your getting some shooting mate , no luck at the minute . Had 2 trips out with the.243 at the weekend and all I got was a brief glimpse of a fox down the side of a barley field :/

So last night I had a wander with the HMR to find some rabbits but the grass was too long :yes: so all I ended up with was a crow .

17crow001_zpsedad73b7.jpg