Zeroing a .17 HMR

KevDodd

Suggestions for the ideal range for zeroing a .17 HMR please?

Kev

The range you find most of your quarry!

Various sources will suggest 100-125 yards as an ideal distance to give overall performance from the HMR itself, that is of no use to you if you sit in a field and shoot all your quarry at (for example) 80 yards!

It's worth having a play. Had a look at the ballistic tables having checked the MV with the chrono and then checked it out in the field. With my rifle/scope zeroed at 110 yards I can just shoot between 40 and 120 yards without having to worry except, perhaps, for a minor allowance at about 75 yards. After the 120 yards it runs on to a 2" drop at 150 which is about the limit of my ability.

I zero at 40 yards, at this distance it is still ok out to 135 yards.

At 40 yards you should almost get every bullet in the same hole.

You really do need to zero properly at the longer of your two 'zero' points.

In my view, getting that initial scope setup as accurate as possible is really important. Errors increase considerably with distance.

100 paces, John Cleese style, that'll be about 200 yards then,lol....

lol not with my little legs! It'll be lucky to make 90 haha. :-).

Ironically I put out a rabbit sized target when I started with the HMR at different ranges on my permission and shot the target, but it was hard to concentrate as I had drawn a smiley face on the rabbit - made me feel a little guilt.

Edited by Mentalmac

Suggestions for the ideal range for zeroing a .17 HMR please?

Kev

100 yards gives the best use of trajectory with most bore to scope heights, off memory alone about 84-85 yards is peak trajectory over point of aim?. The further your zero the higher the peak will be, set it too far out and you will get lots of easy shots sailing over the top of so called easy shots

Several reports have suggested around 125 yards is actually best for the HMR, that may technically be best for the HMR but does not necessarily reflect what individual shooters need of their HMR, and I am not aware that many actually zero at that distance.

Full report

http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/news/test-report-anschutz-1727-fortner-17-hmr-sporter

Extract from report

I found early in the piece that a 100 metres zero does not take full advantage of the higher velocity of the .17 HMR. Between the muzzle and 100 metres there’s no more than 9mm difference between the line of sight and the bullet path. The difference is so small that there is little likelihood of missing even the smallest pest bird, but with that sighting the bullet will land 88mm low at 150 metres, and 288mm low at 200.

The Anschutz 1727F can be zeroed for 125 metres which gives the most practical trajectory for small game. Sighted in 26mm high at 100 metres, the bullet is 22mm high at 50 metres, and drops 49mm at 150. That’s flat enough to ensure a hit on a rabbit at the longer distance. The bullet drops off fast after the 150 metre mark and curves sharply downwards to be 236mm low at 200.

If the rifle is sighted-in for 150 metres the bullet will strike 38mm high at 50 metres, 59mm high at 100, and drop 170mm at 200, which is a larger deviation than one wants for a rifle intended for sniping at small varmints. All trajectory figures are for the 17gn V-Max bullet.

Personally I shoot over a wide range of distances with my HMR but rarely past 150 yards, mine is zeroed at 100 yards, that works for me, zero at what works for you! :good:

I think this is a topic where some shooters use the term 'zero' rather loosely. Probably as loose as some of the distances quoted. 'Accurate' and 'silent' are two other words with such a wide range of undisclosed values as to be meaningless.

To my way of thinking....

First choose whatever ammunition gives you the tightest group at the furthest typical distance that you are likely to shoot.

Then, having decided on the distance you want to use as your 'zero' (say.... 100 yards or whatever - NOT the near 'zero' but the distant one) spend some time finely adjusting your scope so that your bullets hit where intended.

A few shots at intermediate distance will confirm the trajectory.

The relevance of a set zero is to make best use of the guns trajectory. Either you understand that or you need to find out.

:hmm::hmm:

Do you actually mean the gun/ammo best trajectory, or the best gun/ammo trajectory over the distances any given shooter actually uses the gun at?

It doesn't matter a hoot what the gun/ammo best trajectory is if you only want to use it at, (for example) 75yards!

Even if you use it a lot at various distances out to say 100Yards, there is no point in zeroing it at around 125, which apparently is a HMR best overall trajectory with 17g V Max.

Mine is zeroed at 115 yards because that's where I like it and its what I've found best suits the ground and the ranges I cover with it. I then noted POI at 70 yards (by chance, because I had a very convenient place where I could set a target up at that range) and found I was exactly 20mm high. Thereafter I've zeroed 20mm high at 70 yards. Apart from the convenience, I've stuck with 70 yards because its an easy distance at which to minimise shooter error but far enough to show up wayward grouping from a dirty bore or a poor ammo batch etc. And at 70 yards wind deflection is less of a issue, its easy to see the strikes and 20 mm high makes for precise zeroing on a piece of graph paper. I can get an accurate assessment of how the rifle/ammo is performing without wind or the niggling doubt that I might be having an off-day confusing the results. I've tried zeroing at 25 yards and it doesn't show up inconsistencies sufficiently clearly to make a judgement.

My approach is half science and half practicality, and that's shooting for you.

Im sitting here reading this and cant help wondering what mine is zeroed at, i have come to the conclusion it doesnt matter to me really. I take it out, see a rabbit place the x hair around its head area, squeeze the trigger then shortly after go and pick the rabbit up. Shots are very very rarely over 130yards and thats a fair way, that is my limitation for the HMR.

20yards-- 75 yards --- 115 yards pick any one :lookaround: then go and practice hitting 1" targets at different ranges up to the point you cant hit it consistantly. Then stop :yay: