4hrs police questioning for Games shooter

Peskyfoxs

Not that surprising really. It would have been sensible to confirm the reason for her stay at the time of booking with the hotel and making arrangements for securing her locked case and, in her room if possible.

A quiet word would have been better but with the ignorance around on shooting and guns coupled with the kind of people who are frequently employed on hotel reception desks, who knows exactly what the manager was told and who is a LACS member.

Is this a case of "there's no such thing as bad publicity"?

I emailed the hotel to hear their side of the story. According to them it is hotel policy and according to the police she has broken the law. When i replied saying the police admitted that no law was broken, and asking them where the state on their website or booking details that they dont allow any firearms in the hotel, they went dead quiet. Please do not treat shooting folk as stupid people.

Hotel changed the T&C after she checked in? Unfair contract term or what ! I would think she could stand a very good chance of suing the hotel.

Where does it say they changed the policy?

Malmaison Dundee has only opened very recently, so this may well have been the first time they have encountered this type of scenario. There may well be misleading information in the hotel that give their staff reason to believe that having a gun in a hotel is illegal.

An article in a tabloid newspaper, notorious for its artistic license when constructing stories, does not make a factual or representative account of what happened.

Sadly what is inevitable with stories such as this is that those that love to react do so with gusto, whether they be pro or anti shooting sports and will never let facts or truth get in the way of a good rant.

Regrettably there is also the inevitable comments of the ignorant, idiotic or both. Evidenced by comments on the DM website, the Clay Shooting FB page and this forum. For the avoidance of doubt, I am referencing the post I originally replied to.

Its bits like this that the press need to pick up on

“Shooting is a safe, inclusive and vibrant sport enjoyed by thousands of people here in the UK. Shooting is responsible for bringing in 2.5 billion pounds into the UK economy each year. I know of no other sport in the World which has a single athlete responsible for 23 World titles: shooting has George Digweed, yet we hide him away because his sport involves a gun."
:shaun:

Where does it say they changed the policy?

Malmaison Dundee has only opened very recently, so this may well have been the first time they have encountered this type of scenario. There may well be misleading information in the hotel that give their staff reason to believe that having a gun in a hotel is illegal.

http://www.clay-shooting.com/news/carries-confrontation/

achel said: “I got to the hotel at about 11pm with my shotgun in a locked hard case. Ten minutes after I’d checked in I received a call in the room saying someone had noticed I had a rifle, and I corrected them and said it was a shotgun, which they said was illegal so they called the police. When I got back down to reception the staff member was saying it was illegal in front of other people, which made me feel like a criminal.”

Bit further down

Upon returning, the Malmaison hotel presented her with a copy of a detailed no shotgun policy.

Why on her return if not available at time of booking/checking in then must be unfair term?

Edited by HDAV

http://www.clay-shooting.com/news/carries-confrontation/

Bit further down

Why on her return if not available at time of booking/checking in then must be unfair term?

I think few people check Ts&C's which is why in this day and age with the societal attitudes we currently have it is worth checking these kinds of details (given time etc) at the time of booking. Legally she is in the right but she had agro for 4 hours or so, is that really worth it?

is it just me or is the hotel is well named "Wrong house"

I think few people check Ts&C's which is why in this day and age with the societal attitudes we currently have it is worth checking these kinds of details (given time etc) at the time of booking. Legally she is in the right but she had agro for 4 hours or so, is that really worth it?

is it just me or is the hotel is well named "Wrong house"

True but if not obvious and accessible then they are unfair....

https://www.malmaison.com/about-us/booking-tcs/ No mention of guns.............

Nor in the health and safety statement https://www.malmaison.com/media/175255/signed_hands_policy_statement_march_2012_2_.pdf

So where was it that is was accessible?

She didn't advise them at check in, they didn't ask. Someone else spotted the case and told reception, hence them saying to her after she arrived and was already in her room. No change in the T&C's.

She wasn't held for 4 hours, that is bogus.

Go back a few posts and you can read her comments via the link.

She didn't advise them at check in, they didn't ask. Someone else spotted the case and told reception, hence them saying to her after she arrived and was already in her room. No change in the T&C's.

But it isnt in the T&C's (as on the website tonight) and it wasn't till she came back from police station they produced them.

But it isnt in the T&C's (as on the website tonight) and it wasn't till she came back from police station they produced them.

That doesn't mean they changed them though. They didn't say they would take a gun, then change their minds, they just didn't (don't) advertise they will not. Just because there is not an explicit statement saying they don't allow firearms in the hotel does not mean there is an implicit agreement that they will.

This is becoming somewhat of a daft discussion.

Having shot with Rachel on quite a few occasions, I am delighted with the way she conducted herself and would not have expected her to behave in any other way than with absolute proffesionalism. Well done Rachel it was also relevant that she didn't make a fuss so as not to attract any negative comments against our shooting squad untill after the event,and even then it wasn't her that opened up the subject. The resulting publicity was a credit to her.Her boyfriend Mark Winser has just scored 99/100 in the Compact at Southdown and her dad is one of the finest game shots in the country even though he only has one eye.I wish her all the best in trying out a new to her, Olympic trap shooting and miss seeing her on the sporting circuit. from Auntie.