Fracking in Blackpool

lexikia

Just watching news and seen the weirdo's setting up camp to protest against the proposed fracking in Blackpool. Where the """ do these proffessional protesters come from?

Why are they allowed to set up camp and invade local peoples space?

Are they claiming benefits?

Wish the police and goverment would act and forcibly remove them and the DHSS look into their ability to find work.

Really """"" me off.

Why not protest against STOR, where certain individuals are given massive payments to have deisel generators parked in a field to be called on in the event of a shortage of generation. Whether they are used or not.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The report doesn't say if they are illegally occupying land at this moment. I am unclear as to on what grounds the Police or Government could act.

That said, these people seem to have no jobs and must rely on savings or benefits to survive. It is now the Department for Work and Pensions who administer the benefits system and I agree that claims should be scrutinised to ensure they are being properly paid.

Just my recieved my energy bill from Jan to August, £800, not had heating for 4 months. How can people on low incomes can pay these bills? Fracking offers a way of reducing bills hopefully, but do we trust the goverment whether Tory or Labour?

I remeber the North sea oil fields being discoverd in the 60's. and a promise of "free gas". What a load of """"S. Me thinks the goverment will sell shale gas abroad for mass profits and ignore it's own people.

They are due to start fracking near me soon in North Wales. We've been told that the home insurance companies are already starting to refuse to cover. Which means if you can't get buildings insurance you can't have a mortgage. As many of you may know the the money lenders require a property to be insured to lend on it.

So house prices have dropped here already.due to all the uncertainty.

The price of gas will never come down. The companies could find an unlimited supply and it would still creep up each year! What they are trying to do is reduce our reliance on overseas gas. This will be the reason countries go to war in the future. We need to be able to look after ourselves until we can find an affordable replacement for gas supplies. Whilst I'm not sure I'd like to live in an area subject to fracking i stil feel its a necessity at this time.

Edited by FoxyChris

They are due to start fracking near me soon in North Wales. We've been told that the home insurance companies are already starting to refuse to cover. Which means if you can't get buildings insurance you can't have a mortgage. As many of you may know the the money lenders require a property to be insured to lend on it.

So house prices have dropped here already.due to all the uncertainty.

Who told you that and do they have any evidence to back it up? Sounds very much like scaremongering to me. Fracking may not be the perfect solution but it could well be an important part of our future energy production.

Just my recieved my energy bill from Jan to August, £800, not had heating for 4 months. How can people on low incomes can pay these bills? Fracking offers a way of reducing bills hopefully, but do we trust the goverment whether Tory or Labour?

I remeber the North sea oil fields being discoverd in the 60's. and a promise of "free gas". What a load of """"S. Me thinks the goverment will sell shale gas abroad for mass profits and ignore it's own people.

Let's suppose the 'Government' did sell the shale gas abroad for mass profits. Where do you think those profits would go? Into the government coffers of course. To benefit the UK in general, so what's the problem!!

I wonder how many of you would be OK with a company fracking near or UNDER your house. I get the feeling many people casually post comments like that from the comfort of their own home when they are not affected, and cry murder once something similar takes place near their homes.

Let's suppose the 'Government' did sell the shale gas abroad for mass profits. Where do you think those profits would go? Into the government coffers of course. To benefit the UK in general, so what's the problem!!

No problem, might get the UK out of it's massive debt

The 'government' wouldn't sell the gas abroad, the private company would. The 'profits' would be dispersed as 'loans' through shell companies registered in the British Virgin Islands or Cayman Islands so they wouldn't pay any tax on the profits. The company would make a deal with HMRC for some corporation tax but only just enough to make it look like a benefit.

The workers will pay income tax and national insurance and the local economy will benefit from the local spend so, at least that will be a benefit.

No strong feeling either way but if it can work without all the doom and destruction I hear in the Daily mail then fine . Let it not be forgotten we used to have coal mining with all the added" benefits" of underground fires , subsidence , earth tremor's/quakes water pollution ,spoil heaps that smelt of coal tar ,death and industrial disease . I realise that there are those who will be affected in some way and Government must make plans to alleviate these affects but without going into endless debate as to the Countries future energy all possibilities must be explored .

Well done to the protesters and if fracking were to happen in my local area I would do the same! What's the point of energy independence if in the process you pollute the ground and drinking water.

"Yay we have energy independence!" "and now my tap water is spitting flames".

Fracking's been going on for years in this country, and the sky hasn't fallen in yet.

It's the future...embrace it.

Fracking's been going on for years in this country, and the sky hasn't fallen in yet.

It's the future...embrace it.

Plus those videos that claim natural gas in drinking water is caused by fracking are not as clear cut as they first seem. There may be some local effects but the fears of burning water, earthquakes and massive industrialisation of our green and pleasant land are somewhat over egged.

I wonder how many of you would be OK with a company fracking near or UNDER your house.

No problem.

I live in an area with mine workings all over the place. There would be _much_ less risk from wells being fracked 1000's of feet underground.

Nial.

Well done to the protesters and if fracking were to happen in my local area I would do the same! What's the point of energy independence if in the process you pollute the ground and drinking water.

"Yay we have energy independence!" "and now my tap water is spitting flames".

If you're talking about the taps in 'Gasland' the director has admitted he knew this was natural gas and was happening before the fracking started but "didn't think that was important".

There are several places in the states called 'Burning Springs'.

Nial

would have been a novel experience if the government listened the the growing concern of the population against tracking. It seems to be any easy solution and of course profitable. Fracking doesn't currently affect me and even if it did, would I be heard or merely dismissed for the greater good?? I signed the antifracking petition from Greenpeace and its fallen on deaf ears. Embrace the future I think not, more so the inevitable be it welcome or not. Shame.

would have been a novel experience if the government listened the the growing concern of the population against tracking. It seems to be any easy solution and of course profitable. Fracking doesn't currently affect me and even if it did, would I be heard or merely dismissed for the greater good?? I signed the antifracking petition from Greenpeace and its fallen on deaf ears. Embrace the future I think not, more so the inevitable be it welcome or not. Shame.

As far as I can make out the majority of people in this county are undecided on the subject and the remainder are split for and against. Given the hype, scaremongering, misinformation and general fear of change that always accompanies these type of issues, I'd say that shows that the UK as a whole understands the need for a reliable energy base and is at least open to the idea.

I would love to see less fossil fuel use but frankly there is only so much reliable energy that renewables can bring to the table and nuclear has it's own problems so, like it or not, gas is here for a while yet and UK produced gas would be preferable.