The Royal's Pheasant Shoot

Jonnyni

I have just been listening to Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 (12:30 Hrs 14/1/04) and he has been talking to the teacher from the school involved and apparently she is concerned that shooting Pheasants in the area will upset the balance of her wildlife garden at the school and that the children were very upset by the incident.

Fortunately, the BBC, for once, gave the public the opportunity to respond with a phone in and they gave as good as they got from the antis. I did, however, phone the BASC press office to make sure they were aware of the programme and they were, hopefully an informed response will follow.

I was also concerned about a programme that went out on BBC 1 on Monday evening at 19:30 hrs, I think it was called 'Inside Out', anyway, it was about the misuse of firearms, airguns and replicas. I felt it was very biased and left me feeling that every airgun owner only has one to pop at the neighbours cat. Fortunately I know better but what about all the mis-informed public who are now convinced otherwise. After all, the BBC is a nationally recognised institution and would never colour a programme.... would it?

Be on your guard, the firearms laws are up for review!

Regards to all.

Damn straight!

I remember as a kid loving shoots and all the outdoors stuff.

Mind you, we didn't have a playstation in those days... We had it rough. Only four TV channels and that was on a good day.

Seriously though, I am stunned that the kids complained. If you are in a school that's built on a royal estate, you should know that something along those lines is going to happen. But, the swings say that maybe they should have thought a bit when they were planning the shoot.

And I have never taken a shot at the neighbour's cat... The meat would be too tough!

Wookie

I did, however, phone the BASC press office to make sure they were aware of the programme and they were, hopefully an informed response will follow.

Job well done Rimfire

Im sure the kids had nothin (well not many anyway) to do with the complaint!!!!!!!

What a school that must be to goto if your into country pursuits.

I would loved to have went ot that school, i would have been over the field helping with the picking up :):lol:

The shoot obviously wasn't planned very well, but they also must remember that the school wouldn't be there if the land hadn't of been given to them.

This is great ammunition for the anti's. :beer::beer: :yp:

Guest flightline

I heard about this from the radio. Apparently 210 kids all "spontaneously" decided to write to the Queen to complain. This included complaints about dogs picking up "bloody remains". The school head made a particular point about the popularity of bird spotting at the school. The Today presenters did not say (and nobody else was allowed to say):

(a) what a waste of their and the teachers` time when they might have been doing something more worthwhile than learning how to whinge at an early age, valuable though it inceasingly is in Blair`s Britain;

(:beer: what a wasted opportunity to explain to children: why the birdlife and countryside is so rich in their area, something of the realities of rural life and about the nature of dog breeding-dogs are bred to pick up etc on shoots-it`s one of the reasons we have such a variety of breeds; and

© why we have pheasants in such profusion in the first place.

Shall we remember this when the BBC`s Charter and licence fee comes up for renewal. Why don`t we also email the School?

I agree with you in a way, but if you e-mail the school it just going to cause even more whinging (think of the headlines now: web forum criticise children).

But i agree with you that if it wasn't for sandringham there wouldn't be so many birds for them to watch.

what a wasted opportunity to explain to children: why the birdlife and countryside is so rich in their area, something of the realities of rural life and about the nature of dog breeding-dogs are bred to pick up etc on shoots-it`s one of the reasons we have such a variety of breeds; and

Probably they where told to do this by the teachers. Its typical of children to jump on a particular band wagon.

what a wasted opportunity to explain to children: why the birdlife and countryside is so rich in their area, something of the realities of rural life and about the nature of dog breeding-dogs are bred to pick up etc on shoots-it`s one of the reasons we have such a variety of breeds; and

If they don't already know they should be being taught along with the schools history.

So what do the kids do when they go home from school car crime,drugs,violence etc.

At least when I was growing up I had healthy hobbies.

The real big problem here that everyone has missed is..........that the poor teachers are now going to have to take a large amount of time to explain to the kids where MEAT comes from.

When a were a lad me mam used to say "Beef doesn't just grow on trees you know!!!!"

Maybe we should start advertising it in supermarkets as COW MEAT or would that offend.

Pork could even be called pig meat.

It's all a natural process and I'm sure a very well paid professional teacher (they keep reminding us) could reinforce this with positive messages but..........

pork...well pigs might fly.

Enough of ranting, em aff fur a dram. :beer::beer: :yp:

The one thing putting my g/f off moving to france with me is the fact that over there they are much more liberal and the chickens come with their heads on, and the rabbits with fur etc....

Ill change her mind one day though, ******** if I am staying in this bloody PC country

I am in a really strange position... I love the country, but hate the mess that "people" have made of it. I'm seriously considering upping sticks and flocking off to Canada or Oz. Christ, even Switzerland would be better than this!

As luck would have it, my wife's Swiss and so I get an automatic work permit and I am only 3 1/2 years away from a swiss passport. They don't mind people hunting and have got loads of stunning places to do it. I even droe past a shop in the middle of Zurich that was advertising, not only sport weapons, but _Discount_ sport weapons!

I am sick to death of having all my choices made for me by a bunch of people that have no idea how badly the country is getting screwed and think they know best. Do they really believe that I can't make my own mind up.

All you have to do is look though the list of what is illegal in Britain (that I have at work)... I can just about lie down at home without breaking the law now.

It sometimes makes me wish my forefathers had stayed in Eire.

Wookie

The head teacher sounds like a nancy to me probably didnt see a cow till she moved to the post from the city. Perhaps she thought they were shooting peasants.

My Biology teacher would have been out there in a flash and we would have been disecting one by lunchtime.

Good analogy by other users to Play station games though and quite right. Only last night my son killed 24 people in vice city with a bloody howitzer. At least this will make the little sprogs know that real guns do kill. FM..

And they all wrote off letters of complaints about the shooting and the killing of these poor birds... before sitting down and enjoying a nice school meal of burger and chips.

I have no troubles saying I shoot I just ask which option they would prefer to live - being completely free range and allowed to escape off with no boundaries established. Or be a chicken cooped up in some mess of a barn full of others birds ****, probably mostly featherless, be killed by slitting of throat maybe still alive when plucked in the machines.

I know which I'd choose and at the end of the day I think the meat of pheasants is far superior to these chickens which are fed all sorts of hormones to make them grow faster etc..

Hi, just registered.

I'm the press officer at BASC.

Here's a copy of a press release issued yesterday:

Sandringham school to learn first-hand about shooting and conservation.

15th January 2004………………………………………..……immediate release.

The school at the centre of the royal shooting row is to learn first-hand about how shooting helps to improve the countryside. BASC has been in contact with the Sandringham Estate and will be working with the local MP Henry Bellingham to produce an educational programme for pupils at St. George’s Middle School at Dersingham in Norfolk.

Henry Bellingham, MP for North West Norfolk, said “I have spoken to the head teacher at St. Georges and she has agreed that it would benefit pupils to learn more about the activities which take place on their doorstep. To that end I will be working with BASC and the estate to draw up events, which could centre on a visit to the school, or alternatively a trip for the pupils to see how the estate works on the ground. I am sure it will be a useful experience for all concerned.”

BASC Regional Director for the East and South East, William Heal said “It will be good to have the opportunity to explain how shooting can operate as a force for good in the countryside. Estates like Sandringham and countless others around the country help to sustain the rural economy. Conservation work and woodland management help to improve biodiversity and habitats for a range of rare species. It is particularly important that children who grow up in rural areas are shown how the countryside works.”

ENDS.

For more information call the BASC press office on 01244 573031. Out of hours on 07977 549305. William Heal can be contacted on 07775 505 465.

and a letter sent to the Times, mail and Telegraph:

I would like to congratulate the education authorities in Norfolk. The letter from school children in Dersingham complaining about pheasant shooting at Sandringham displays a mastery of spelling and grammar far above the level one would expect from children of primary school age. Or perhaps the well-constructed sentence "Lots of us were extremely upset, especially our wildlife teacher, Mrs Bryan" reveals they were engaged in a dictation exercise from a teacher with her own political agenda? I am amazed that a school with such close links to an estate such as Sandringham has failed to point out the benefits which shooting brings for the local economy, the conservation of local wildlife and woodlands, and of course the inescapable link between the death of animals and meat on our plates.

Simon Clarke,

Press Officer

The British Association for

Shooting and Conservation.

www.basc.org.uk

Marford Mill, Rossett, Wrexham LL12 OHL

:01244 573026 / 07977 549305 (mobile)

simon.clarke@basc.org.uk

I have also made a formal complaint to the director of the local education authority, and the Norfolk County council chairman of the Education Committee, about the teachers using the children as cannon fodder in the media.