First day at grouse

Scragrat

I was lucky enough to be invited to shoot grouse yesterday, something I have said I would do before my time is up.

Long story short, I managed to shoot my first grouse with my first shot, on the first drive.

It was a fantastic day and I managed to shoot 9 grouse (although 1 not picked) for 17 shots.

The moor also achieved it's best ever bag with a total of 93.

A fantastic day with good shooting, good company and a lovely meal afterwards.

My first after the traditional blooding

20140906_112414_zpsexvisuiq.jpg

Views from the moor

20140906_131810_zpswdwaqzny.jpg

20140906_142955_zpsvopz3j3d.jpg

Thanking my host at the end of the day

20140906_170855_zpskb2x5exo.jpg

Thanks for the replies lads. Certainly a day I will remember.

We were on Hartside moor near Penrith.

It was a long day, up at 4.30am and got back home at 10.30pm, totally knackered after the 350 mile round trip and walking the hillside to the butts but still worth it.

I forgot to say in the original post that i would have been happy with the 1 grouse on the first drive but I managed 2 left and rights on the last drive with my 20 bore, making the day even more enjoyable.

May I ask what the traditional blooding is?

I just tried to google search it but all it came up with anti grouse shooting articles, and after a few minutes and seeing lots of pictures of spiky haired punk rockers spouting on about hen harriers being shot at by the rich, I gave up.

Nice pictures and well done by the way, looks like great fun and the view looks amazing.

Edited by Mentalmac

Cheeks marked with the blood of the very first of the species shot. Had it done with my first pinkfoot.

Was particularly common in Foxhunting when the a first entrant to the field would be blooded.

May I ask what the traditional blooding is?

I just tried to google search it but all it came up with anti grouse shooting articles, and after a few minutes and seeing lots of pictures of spiky haired punk rockers spouting on about hen harriers being shot at by the rich, I gave up.

Nice pictures and well done by the way, looks like great fun and the view looks amazing.

Cheeks marked with the blood of the very first of the species shot. Had it done with my first pinkfoot.

Was particularly common in Foxhunting when the a first entrant to the field would be blooded.

Ah, I've seen that with fox hunting before on the TV, but not in other types of country sport. Interesting, thanks for that Penelope.