firearms supervisor

hellier0437

i have just had my interview for my FAC and have been told that, due to a lack of experience, i have to have a condition on my licence that only allows me to shoot with an open FAC holder during a probationary period untill he or she feels that i am safe and informs the police of this. Is this normal?, and does anyone have any suggestions on where to find someone to supervise as i do not know any.

thanks

i have just had my interview for my FAC and have been told that, due to a lack of experience, i have to have a condition on my licence that only allows me to shoot with an open FAC holder during a probationary period untill he or she feels that i am safe and informs the police of this. Is this normal?, and does anyone have any suggestions on where to find someone to supervise as i do not know any.

thanks

Yes it seems to be getting more popular...i've got to have one for my 17HMR. If you don't know anyone willing to do this for you then tell your FEO this, one option he will give you is to join an approved club and complete the club's probationary period using club rifles... :good:

thanks

Yes it seems to be getting more popular...i've got to have one for my 17HMR. If you don't know anyone willing to do this for you then tell your FEO this, one option he will give you is to join an approved club and complete the club's probationary period using club rifles... :good:

it sounds a resonable idea to me if you have little or no exspierence with rifles

the best plan in my opinion would be to find someone you know to take you under there wing

failing that as taffy said join a shooting club

bet to be safe :good:

if you was near me i would take you out and let you shoot some bunnys and gain some exsperience mate

good luck

kirky

Apparently this is happening more & more, I've had rifles for many years (.22 r/f & 22.250 c/f) on an open ticket, recently had a .308 for Deerstalking & I've had to have an experienced stalker to supervise me until I get my DSC1 certificate, which I'm taking in April, then I can stalk alone but my ticket won't be open until next renewal

Apparently this is happening more & more, I've had rifles for many years (.22 r/f & 22.250 c/f) on an open ticket, recently had a .308 for Deerstalking & I've had to have an experienced stalker to supervise me until I get my DSC1 certificate, which I'm taking in April, then I can stalk alone but my ticket won't be open until next renewal

I find that strange. If you're safe enough for an open cert for .22-250 then you're going to be fine on cleared land with a .308 :good:

If supervision is what they're after, then check out the local gun club. A lot of shooters would love to be able to hunt but cannot get land. Pick on a well experienced club shot and he may well jump at the chance to come out with you if he has no land of his own. It's only a short term thing. I have a feeling my FEO was planning something like that, I hope they don't do it but if they do it wont be forever. I made out there was nobody I knew that would be willing to take me out when he interviewed me! :good:

thanks

If you put more information in your profile you might get a better response..

How can someone invite you to shoot when they have no idea the area you live in.!!!! :P

Im just finishing my 3 month probation and im due to phone the FEO in a few weeks who has my Application and report on standby, when i give him the word, he is going to put my application to the boss straight away and i should have it in a few weeks...

I joined a local club, where i got to have ago on all sorts of calibre rifles so i would say its well worth it, not only do you gain the experience, you learn the safety, how the gun works, handles, the bullet behavoir in certain conditions, you also get alot of sniper training ready to bash them bunnies in the noggin...

Joining the club cost me abit but it was well worth it..I also purchased a brand new CZ rifle and shipped over a nice simmons scope from america and i can use that down the range now.

thanks

Which part of the country are you in? D2D :lol:

thanks

How can someone invite you to shoot when they have no idea the area you live in.!!!! :P

I have asked the question, seems odd?? :good:

What do they class as exp? I am hoping when I move next yr for the year that I am planning on joining a rifle club. Would a year at a rifle club and air rifle stalking count as sufficent exp to have a fac air rifle and rimmie, maybe even a 22-250? I am hoping holding some form of security clearance next year will also help :P

>i told them no way as there is no law saying you have to all you need is good reason to have a fac and somewhere to shoot

There is a part of the firearms law which says a chief constable can impose any restrictions he feels are necessary. I went the same route when I was told I had to have a mentor or do DSC. BASC wouldn't help. In the end I stalked with a chap for 6 months, we had a laugh, I learned a fair bit, and now I can stalk whenever I want :P

It would be interesting to see how this fits in with not being allowed to use a FAC rifle without a FAC. I asked this question on another forum:

EDIT: Sorry miss read it - I now see he HAS an FAC

allowed to let a non FAC shooter use my FAC rifle

The law states if you have sporting rights...If you get your landowner to sign a permission slip, he is effectively giving you an invitation to control pests under his sporting rights. You, then technically(and in the eyes of the law) become an employee(whether paid or not) /agent of the estate/landowner, therefore you are using a gun owned by an appropriate agent of the land.

taken from the Met Police website

Another way to shoot shotguns and even rifles without a certificate is when you are accompanied by the landowner or his agent, (e.g. game warden), shooting on his land, using his weapons, within the limitations of the authorities on the certificate, for that weapon.

According to my local clay club new laws are in the pipeline regarding applying for shotgun certificates and the club is in the process of adding the information to its website. A mate was at the AGM 2 weeks ago and it was mentioned that people applying for certificates MUST be a member of a club to justify the need of a gun, and in wake of all the gun crime publicity recently I can quite well beleive it, when it is posted on the site I will forward a link here.

thanks

Which part of the country are you in? D2D :yp:

thanks

How can someone invite you to shoot when they have no idea the area you live in.!!!! :D

I have asked the question, seems odd?? :no:

i'm in both surrey and devon, the FEO said that i had to do my "probation" in the field and not on the range as he's worried about stuff like backstops

According to my local clay club new laws are in the pipeline regarding applying for shotgun certificates and the club is in the process of adding the information to its website. A mate was at the AGM 2 weeks ago and it was mentioned that people applying for certificates MUST be a member of a club to justify the need of a gun, and in wake of all the gun crime publicity recently I can quite well beleive it, when it is posted on the site I will forward a link here.

Seems daft to me. What about farmers that only just have time to control their pests on their own land? The chap who lets me shoot his land doesn't seem to even have a spare hour, ever!

MUST be a member of a club to justify the need of a gun

cant see that happening. i only shoot vermin. so your telling me the old bill will stop it. BASC would be out of business overnight.

Your right mark, the farmer i shoot on does not belong to a club but has been shooting since he was walking! Why should some idiot gangs in london shooting one another, mean he should have to belong to a club to keep the licences he has held for 30-40 odd years?

Regarding farmers, a gun could be classed as a necessary tool, as more info unfolds I will post it, like I said the safety officer bought it up at the AGM.

Here is the website, very bottom of the page, it mentions new shotgun issuing laws rumored to be in the pipeline, page not yet completed as it is in the process of been updated.

http://www.leekgunclub.com/

Forgot to mention, looks like a certificate of competance will be required before "new" first time shot gun certificates are granted consisting of gun safety and basic handling, this is rumored to be in the pipeline and can only be a good thing.

Does that cert have to be earnt at a local club? For example, say I have been shooting clays from a private trap for a year plus and hit a reasonable amount say 80% but have never been to any local clubs. Would I still have to be a club member in order to mantain my cert and be classed as comoetant, I think all these new rules are a tad stupid, knee jerk reactions to gang problems. How many of these gang shootings involved a 12G Beretta silver pigeon? None, so why should law abiding SGC owners suffer?

Forgot to mention, looks like a certificate of competance will be required before "new" first time shot gun certificates are granted consisting of gun safety and basic handling, this is rumored to be in the pipeline and can only be a good thing.

Does that cert have to be earnt at a local club? For example, say I have been shooting clays from a private trap for a year plus and hit a reasonable amount say 80% but have never been to any local clubs. Would I still have to be a club member in order to mantain my cert and be classed as comoetant, I think all these new rules are a tad stupid, knee jerk reactions to gang problems. How many of these gang shootings involved a 12G Beretta silver pigeon? None, so why should law abiding SGC owners suffer?

Personally I think a competence cert would be a good idea. Not for how many you hit, it would be down to your safety and gun control competence not hitting 25/25 every time. The problem with that will be the clubs - if its law to have this cert done at a club then they'll charge you the earth to get one, chucking in needless tuition fees and mentoring and everything else they can throw at you.... :D:no: