Electrical goods - life span

Mungler

Ok, we all have heard the stories of someone who knows someone whose mum had a washing machine that was used every day and lasted 40 years.

My normal electronic goods buying 'plan' is simple - buy bottom of the range German (with as fewer buttons and complicated features that will never be used and so aren't given the opportunity to go wrong).

Nevertheless, I have a freezer of legend. It's a full height free standing husqvarna freezer that was given to me second hand. It was bought by my old dears in 1985 and following my most recent house move I've just plugged it in again today (with the expectation it wouldn't work) and hey presto, it's working.

Flippin awesome. Mungler 1, Evil self destructing just out of warranty electrical goods 0

I think you should buy a nice new Scottish freezer, to show support for that nice Mr Salmond.

I have a few angle grinders, but my favourite is about 20 years old and has taken some real hammer. Been borrowed by the world and his wife too.

Edited by Gordon R

Regrettably we also buy simple german - usually BOSC and they work well - still going well after 14 years. We bought a big american style samsung freezer and its gone wrong annually and its now almost impossible to get them to fix it for free !

There was an old Zanussi here when we arrived and it just died - 20 years ish.

The thing which broke most and almost instantly from new was the Range Rover, its Merc replacement wasnt any better.

My best buy is the Fergie tractor, still working well and born in 1953, made in Britain or should I say England now?.

Low end German brands are often not made in Germany - not the same quality despite the badge. To make them cheap, they have to cut costs somewhere. Read the advice here

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buying-advice/all-appliances.html

Makes for interesting reading - written by appliance repair professionals.

Rather buy a mid range German appliance made in Germany. Buy cheap, pay twice. We've had our Bosch washer for 14 years, was one below top of the range at the time £600 or so. Only had to change the bearing on it last year, and was not too difficult of a DIY job. If I were buying new today, I'd budget £900-1300 for another Bosch or a Miele.

Watching a 24 year old TV is no fun.... My parents bought a new TV 24" Panasonic in 1990 and it's still going with remarkable picture quality but despite the fact it still works. (It predates the internet!) it really should be replaced!!!

Husqvarna (Electrolux) freezer eh? Should have bought a stihl.....

Ok, we all have heard the stories of someone who knows someone whose mum had a washing machine that was used every day and lasted 40 years.

My normal electronic goods buying 'plan' is simple - buy bottom of the range German (with as fewer buttons and complicated features that will never be used and so aren't given the opportunity to go wrong).

Nevertheless, I have a freezer of legend. It's a full height free standing husqvarna freezer that was given to me second hand. It was bought by my old dears in 1985 and following my most recent house move I've just plugged it in again today (with the expectation it wouldn't work) and hey presto, it's working.

Flippin awesome. Mungler 1, Evil self destructing just out of warranty electrical goods 0

Mung, my mums chest freezer has been plugged in and running since 1974, still going strong........ Her washing machine (twin tub) lasted for about 35 years. Both British made

Mung, my mums chest freezer has been plugged in and running since 1974, still going strong........ Her washing machine (twin tub) lasted for about 35 years. Both British made

The difference isn't where it was made but the engineering and materials that went into it - and the price point it was designed to.