410?

neilp

would love to hear from any 410 users what they like and what u use them for? yes before u say it i know shooting lol

In the RIGHT hands they are just as usefull as a 12g they have their place and often people who do Vermin work like close up Rabbit and Ratting favour the .410

There are also a few people shooting clay comps use .410s

Recently someone posted pictures of Pheasants taken with the .410 also.

As i say in COMPETENT hands it's a more than capable tool for the job :P

LG

We had a small bore day on our shoot this year for the first time, nothing larger than a 28 bore, i opted for a 4-10, i shot some of the best birds i have ever shot.

I was really sceptical about the killing power, but i tell you what, it hit them really hard, i was very impressed with this caliber, i always thought it was a kids gun!

With the for 4-10 you either hit and kill cleanly or miss!.

Love the 4-10 now :P

The .410 is great fun to shoot at skeet targets.

The distances involved are short so the pattern density and energy are good

using sk/sk chokes.

It is still a bit humbling.

Compact/five stand targets may be a reach sometimes.

Choke down for pattern control when needed but distance is your enemy.

SC away targets are a misery.

Recoil isn't much more than a .22 rimfire.

If you use the standard 2 1/2 in. hull, 1/2 ounce of lead and a little W296 makes for an inexpensive reload too.

Bob

I had a farmer's son mate who was great with a .410 around the farmyard.

One day we were leaning on a a stable door looking at a huge pig in a barn when a rat appeared out of a hole in the masonry, just above the pigs head.

Quick as a flash up came the .410 and the rat was splatted in good style at a range of 10 yards.

The problem was that Emlyn had forgotten that he was carrying a single barrel 12 bore instead of the .410, and bits of masonry and rat flew everywhere :P:good::lol:

- and you would not believe the noise that the pig made :P:P:P

Don

Got a single barrelled biakal great gun ,only paid £70 for it Bought it for my wife as she cant lift the 12b and aim it at the same time . She sometimes use it for clays at short distance it can be more accurate than my Lanber. As mentioned before they are the perfect gun on small quarry such as squirrels. The only downside is the cartridge prices at around £5 a box it can be excessive.

i bought a webley botl action single shot .410, quiet, recoil-free, and more than enough for squirrels, rabbits, and rats, moving or stationary. also much lighter than the 12b semi so easy to carry all day. does anyone know whether the huspower .410 silencers are any good and whether they will work with all guns?

Got one for my youngest, he is getting quite good with it on the practice stand at the clays.

He had just had a lesson using a 20b and found it a bit hard, so is quite happy with his .410

Ps fond that with the carts costing almost twice the price of 12g and the eldest is using either 24g or 24g subsonics that thay cost almost as much. Also have found that with the .410 and 16g the little on can beat the big one with his 12g

Trev

Just bought an old German 3" b/a, fitted a moderator, used loads of large cardboard boxes to sort out patterning as on full choke its a small effective grouping - need to use it like a rifle - well I do.

Went out last saturday using Eley 3" mags also took the rimmy over one shoulder. Blasted out about x7 squirrels and x3 pigeons many at 30m but the noise wasn't a problem, shot one pigeon and after another 25m rabbits were playing - well not for long. Used the moderated rimmy on one rabbit - it just laid on its side instantly dead with the others still playing - second shot hit a twig and they ran off.

Blew one squirrel out of a tree but it crawed along took it out with the rimmy as its a bit pricey with 410. overall 10 kills with 13 carts - left a trail of dead things every 30m around a large wood over 2 hrs, in the same wood when a 12g goes off 400m away the wood empties.

Overall very pleased carrying the rimmy inverted on one shoulder wasn't a problem - great for long safe shots.

I have a webley .410 bolt action with a 9 inch silencer which I use for rabbits and sometimes crows around the farm sheds. It is a really fantastic little gun which I wouldnt part with for anything (except maybe a mossberg .410 pump action hush :blink: )

The carts I use (lyalvale 2 1/2 inch 6s) arent too bad price wise as I remember (about £35 for 250). Because I dont use many when I go lamping or mooching, they are lasting me pretty well. Wouldnt like to shoot clays with it though unless I win the lottery!

ZB